Motiv Flex Fuel Installation Guide

JOEinSD

Private
Mar 31, 2017
Ride
N54 335i
My ECA voltage is showing 4.05, and ethanol is pegged at 100%... and wiring seems to be good. Suggestions are welcome.

Bad module? This one is part of the first or second batch from almost exactly 2 years ago. I’m just now getting around to getting this installed.

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
Now that I have a new throttle body, back to the FF issue. Motive sent me a new module. When I install it, voltage reads above 4v and E content pegs at 100%.
With the old module plugged in, it reads around 1.5v and 25% E which is where it should be, until I floor it and it pegs to 100% E around 4.4v and stays there.

Is there maybe something I need to do to have the new module read correctly? I tired driving around and shutting off the car for a few minutes and restarting it but no change.

The only thing that has not been replaced in the FF system is the sensor. So I am leaning this way but wanted to know what your thoughts are?

I am having this same exact issue, what did you have to do to resolve this voltage spike on WOT?

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
My ECA voltage is showing 4.05, and ethanol is pegged at 100%... and wiring seems to be good. Suggestions are welcome.

Bad module? This one is part of the first or second batch from almost exactly 2 years ago. I’m just now getting around to getting this installed.

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
It's not fixed yet. Motive is looking into a solution still.
What have you tried replacing so far? MOTIV Flex Fuel Box and harness ? Hobbs switch if you're running a Stage 3 LPFP? Now you're giving me doubts that a new harness and flex fuel box might not fix my problem with the voltage spiking and E content jumping up to E100 and staying there during WOT but normal cruising it's fine.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
What have you tried replacing so far? MOTIV Flex Fuel Box and harness ? Hobbs switch if you're running a Stage 3 LPFP? Now you're giving me doubts that a new harness and flex fuel box might not fix my problem with the voltage spiking and E content jumping up to E100 and staying there during WOT but normal cruising it's fine.
I did replace the wire harness and the FF module. I'm not running a hobbs yet. Need to get this resolved so I can install my port injection.
Motive is making me a new harness to try. I will post my results when I test.

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
I did replace the wire harness and the FF module. I'm not running a hobbs yet. Need to get this resolved so I can install my port injection.
Motive is making me a new harness to try. I will post my results when I test.
Have you tried swapping old and new FF module? Did one work better than the other? I have a new wire harness on the way I'm going to try replacing and cross fingers it will fix the issue. I'll keep you all updated with results.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Have you tried swapping old and new FF module? Did one work better than the other? I have a new wire harness on the way I'm going to try replacing and cross fingers it will fix the issue. I'll keep you all updated with results.
Yep, tried every combination. The new module will only read 100%E. I am sending all the new hardware back after I receive the new Wire loom. If it does not work with my old hardware I will test with the new stuff as well before sending it all back.

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
Yep, tried every combination. The new module will only read 100%E. I am sending all the new hardware back after I receive the new Wire loom. If it does not work with my old hardware I will test with the new stuff as well before sending it all back.
Did you remember to reset your adaptations in MHD after doing so?

willQ

Sep 20, 2019
Ride
2008 E93 335i
hey guys

I had just dealt with a similar FF issue. I've been running FF for about 5 months with no issues what so ever. yesterday, I did a WOT pull in 2nd under a bridge for fun. right after I pass under the bridge, E-reading soars to 100% and ECA to 4.1-4.5. but when I come to a complete stop (intersection/stop sign), readings go back down to normal and ECA reads at 0.74v. As soon as I put a little load on or go over a tiny bump, E jumps to 100% and ECA to 4.1-4.5.

I limped it home last night and took a peek this morning hoping it was just a loose wire or something.

checked all connections and wiring. nothing loose. With the car on while looking at my MHD tablet, I physically shook the FF box and rustled around the wires to see if it would get any better/worse.

after about 5 mins of sporadic idling and wild E readings, tapping on the box and shaking it up, the idle finally calmed down, ECA is stuck at .74v and reading 11% as it should be. drove around for about 15 minutes around the neighborhood and the FF is functioning as it should and all readings stayed the same.

I don't have an explanation of how/why it happened and how the FF 'fixed' itself?

hope this helps someone!

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Make sure and email Motive to let them know about these issues. If no one tells them they won't know there could be a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman and willQ

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
An electrical DIY install that works a long time then not is often a power connection issue. Be sure to change your source or ground while troubleshooting.

Alligator clip that power connection to the battery post there in the engine bay

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
An electrical DIY install that works a long time then not is often a power connection issue. Be sure to change your source or ground while troubleshooting.

Alligator clip that power connection to the battery post there in the engine bay
This is wisdom right here. Grounds are a big issues on cars, especially as they get older. And some things are ridiculously sensitive about resistance on the circuit...

Filippo

p.s. You can always install pink slippers if nothing else works. Ask @matreyia specifically where - he might be able to help out :tearsofjoy:

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Where you guys getting your +12v from?
Using a posi tap for power, and I have retapped this wire. The ground is shown next to the washer fluid funnel.
I want to try grounding to the little part sticking out next to my air filter but I can't seem to find the right size screw that fits it. Any other ideas are welcome.
IMG_0716.JPGIMG_0717.JPGIMG_0718.JPG

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
Yesterday I replaced the flex fuel module with the updated version in my dme box. I haven't replaced the wire harness yet with a new one. I might do that today but what i did notice was that the voltage and ethenol content would spike from E65 to E100 during WOT but go back down to E65. Same issue with the voltage it would spike up to 4.43 and go back down to normal readings. It's gotten a little better but still not working 100% the way it's supposed to. The readings aren't getting stuck anymore like they were before with the previous motiv flex fuel module.

Reactions: doublespaces

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I had some similar voltage and content fluctuations and I moved my ground to one of the shock tower nuts. I scraped away the paint on the body tho to endure a good connection. No issue since.

Reactions: NoGuru