S55 oil pan on N55 (e82)

Szczypiorek

Nov 7, 2023
It fits without modification. It does touch the oil pan but fits fine.

The bottom surface of the undertray normally sits level with the bottom of the jacking point and the oil pan sits about 5mm higher than the jacking point.
That's very promising information for me! Thank you.

I'll start gathering the parts and I'll try do this mod too

Reactions: wheela

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
Update:

I had done about 2000kms on this without issue.
But after some very hard driving over the last couple of days on some very rough roads there are some marks on the oil pan from where the steering racks LH bolt has been contacting it.

So I will need to trim the bolt down.

I am running stock engine and dct mounts, and are fairly old but in good condition.
IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
Nice to see the fitment. Rebuilding my N55 for my e92 at home after spinning the bearing on #1 (Spun right after replacing also -_-). Going to delete the power steering pump and reservoir using the block-off plate so I wouldn't need a bracket. After reading about the oiling issues on the N55, I am ordering the kit this week. With the S55 flowing 18% more oil than the N55 pump you think it might solve bearings getting oil?

uhhh_maks

Dec 3, 2023
Awesome work! I have been collecting parts for this since I saw that FCPEuro has a kit put together. They don't mention the power steering pump not mounting up so that kinda sucks, I'll have to do so more digging there. Has anyone here heard of the FCP kit or know anyone that's used it?

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
Awesome work! I have been collecting parts for this since I saw that FCPEuro has a kit put together. They don't mention the power steering pump not mounting up so that kinda sucks, I'll have to do so more digging there. Has anyone here heard of the FCP kit or know anyone that's used it?

The FCP Kit is very expensive but worth it if you cannot source used parts. I got my hands on a gently used kit for $1k. It's coming in today. You would have to either make a custom bracket for power steering, delete it, or switch over to EPS from the E89 Z4.

uhhh_maks

Dec 3, 2023
The FCP Kit is very expensive but worth it if you cannot source used parts. I got my hands on a gently used kit for $1k. It's coming in today. You would have to either make a custom bracket for power steering, delete it, or switch over to EPS from the E89 Z4.

Agreed that the FCP kit is pricey, but all new OEM parts will do that, I have been collecting used parts as well. I have a machine shop but fabbing a bracket like this seems like a safer first strategy then chopping up the pan. What is your plan?

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
I believe the S55 Oil pan is magnesium. Correct me if I'm wrong. Someone else on the E90 forum made a different bracket for the PS pump. Not sure how strong it is.

I'm going to be removing the PS pump and the reservoir and installing a block-off plate made by Garagistic:

If I don't like it down the road then retrofit an EPS system from the E89 lol

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
I believe the S55 Oil pan is magnesium. Correct me if I'm wrong. Someone else on the E90 forum made a different bracket for the PS pump. Not sure how strong it is.

I'm going to be removing the PS pump and the reservoir and installing a block-off plate made by Garagistic:

If I don't like it down the road then retrofit an EPS system from the E89 lol
Early oil pans were magnesium. Most are aluminium. You can tell by the markings if in doubt.
IMG_5036.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: houtan and wheela

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
For the oil pump snout to fit onto the older style chain tensioner guide rail did you have to enlarge the entire hole or you made cuts that fit the protrusions on the S55 oil pump? Do you have pictures by chance?

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
For the oil pump snout to fit onto the older style chain tensioner guide rail did you have to enlarge the entire hole or you made cuts that fit the protrusions on the S55 oil pump? Do you have pictures by chance?
I have no pictures, but it’s pretty easy to see the difference when you compare the s55 vs n55 parts.
Its the bottom half of the hole that doesn’t clear. I just used a drill and a flap wheel to increase the clearance where needed.
Heres the n55 part:
IMG_5322.jpeg

And here’s the s55 part:
IMG_5323.jpeg

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
I have no pictures, but it’s pretty easy to see the difference when you compare the s55 vs n55 parts.
Its the bottom half of the hole that doesn’t clear. I just used a drill and a flap wheel to increase the clearance where needed.
Heres the n55 part:
View attachment 91812

And here’s the s55 part:
View attachment 91813

Thanks, gonna try this out. Yeah, I noticed the updated pumps received an updated bracket after 2013ish. How is the car holding up?

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
Thanks, gonna try this out. Yeah, I noticed the updated pumps received an updated bracket after 2013ish. How is the car holding up?
Really well, I've done 6,000kms on this setup now (Car is now over 200,000kms total).
My biggest concern was the drive belt and that seems to be a non-issue.

The only issue I have currently with this setup is the oil level sensor isn't correct...
If I service it as per the manual (s55) and refill it with the correct amount of oil prescribed it reads full. After about 40mins of driving it will come up with "oil level low - top up 1L".
I normally run 1L over the prescribed amount and with this amount it will read full for about 40mins then slowly drop until says "oil level low - top up 1L" after about 1.5-2 hours of driving.
I did try to see how much oil it would actually take to keep the oil level sensor happy but I stopped at 11L.
Capture.PNG
I knew when I started this the oil sensors are different as it looks like the S55 sensors are quite a lot shorter than the e8/9x n55 ones.
I did intend to sort this when I did the conversion but the S55 sensor I ordered never showed up...
When I get around to it I'll order another one of the later S55 sensors and spacer plate (12618638755 & 11137857266) and measure the difference in height and make a spacer plate for the e8/9x n55 oil level sensor or if I'm lucky I'll just be able to use the spacer plate for the later s55 sensor and then see how that works.

I've also just started logging the CAN message for the oil level sensor to try and understand things a bit better.

Last edited:

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
Attach files
Okay, I have used a hand dremel to slowly enlarge the hole to fit the snout and little by little the fitment got better. This is what I got so far. The tabs where the two m6 screws goes in line up and mate to the oil pump tabs but I will dremel a bit more to ensure it's truly flat. What do you think from these pictures?

View attachment 91841
https://www.spoolstreet.com/attachm...d]=9060&hash=9d6e3e11834b264ab6654e29e6f21e9e
View attachment 91842
View attachment 91843
I gave a alot more clearance to make it easier to get the pump in and out with the plate in place.

While yours is still apart any chance you could compare the e8/9x n55 oil level sensors in both oil pans?

Ideally if you could sit the oil pans level and put 6.5L of fluid in the n55 pan and 7.3L in the s55 pan and measure/take photos of where the fluid level is at on the level sensor on each?

Last edited:

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Really well, I've done 6,000kms on this setup now (Car is now over 200,000kms total).
My biggest concern was the drive belt and that seems to be a non-issue.

The only issue I have currently with this setup is the oil level sensor isn't correct...
If I service it as per the manual (s55) and refill it with the correct amount of oil prescribed it reads full. After about 40mins of driving it will come up with "oil level low - top up 1L".
I normally run 1L over the prescribed amount and with this amount it will read full for about 40mins then slowly drop until says "oil level low - top up 1L" after about 1.5-2 hours of driving.
I did try to see how much oil it would actually take to keep the oil level sensor happy but I stopped at 11L.
View attachment 91834
I knew when I started this the oil sensors are different as it looks like the S55 sensors are quite a lot shorter than the e8/9x n55 ones.
I did intend to sort this when I did the conversion but the S55 sensor I ordered never showed up...
When I get around to it I'll order another one of the later S55 sensors and spacer plate (12618638755 & 11137857266) and measure the difference in height and make a spacer plate for the e8/9x n55 oil level sensor or if I'm lucky I'll just be able to use the spacer plate for the later s55 sensor and then see how that works.

I've also just started logging the CAN message for the oil level sensor to try and understand things a bit better.
Have you tried reading oil level this way?

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
I gave a alot more clearance to make it easier to get the pump in and out with the plate in place.

While yours is still apart any chance you could compare the e8/9x n55 oil level sensors in both oil pans?

Ideally if you could sit the oil pans level and put 6.5L of fluid in the n55 pan and 7.3L in the s55 pan and measure/take photos of where the fluid level is at on the level sensor on each?
I'll try doing it tomorrow and give you pictures.

Reactions: hollracing

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
1709559482663.png

That is actually really cool and handy when you don´t have a dipstick.
Is it possible to log the oil level in millimeters through a custom channel in MHD? @Jake@MHD @carabuser
That would be cool. At the track you can check if it is above 70mm and you are good to go.

Oh and i mean for maybe also N54 :D

Last edited:
Reactions: houtan and wheela