My intro

regular_car_fella

Mar 12, 2024
Mankato MN or Woodinville WA
Ride
2010 BMW 535i xdrive touring
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums since I got my car, but have never actually made an account until now. I have a 2010 E61 535i xdrive with just basic bolt ons, MHD tune, and some small cosmetic enhancements (m5 style bumper etc etc). I've had so6me issues with this car over the nearly 2 years of ownership first having a faulty ekp module randomly kill the car in the most inconvenient spots you could imagine on the 1600 mile road trip home from buying it. I then brought it with me to school in Minnesota and the salty winter caught up to me quick as the main engine ground corroded and caused the CAS module to burn out and throw a myriad of codes. All of these have since been fixed but in true n54 fashion there is always something happening. Hopefully you folks will be able to help me with some of the more specific issues I have/run into. Thanks!

IMG_2469.jpg

Reactions: wheela

regular_car_fella

Mar 12, 2024
Ride
Hello, What might the other issues be?
To my understanding of the code 5f55 which is the recurring code, it is the CAS module not communicating with the ABS module through either a coding issue or wiring problem. This is causing the trifecta lights to come on and me not having traction control, abs, or cruise control. There is sadly almost zero info on the 5f55 code :/

RogerThat

Apr 4, 2024
Hello, firstly have your battery tested. If there is a cell in battery, that is faulty, this can cause the vehicle to throw a number of fault codes. Even if battery is charging. The battery will need to be replaced. When replacing battery, it must be registered to vehicle. Have the battery shop code it with a scan tool.
I see you also have abs problems. I had same issue and it was due to the brushes on the pump armature jamming on, due to lack of use. It caused the abs, traction and steering codes to come on.
To rectify this, l used the wooden end of a hammer and gave the abs unit a couple of hits from wooden end of hammer. This freed up the brushes. It is quick fix and may not be a long term fix.

regular_car_fella

Mar 12, 2024
Ride
Hello, firstly have your battery tested. If there is a cell in battery, that is faulty, this can cause the vehicle to throw a number of fault codes. Even if battery is charging. The battery will need to be replaced. When replacing battery, it must be registered to vehicle. Have the battery shop code it with a scan tool.
I see you also have abs problems. I had same issue and it was due to the brushes on the pump armature jamming on, due to lack of use. It caused the abs, traction and steering codes to come on.
To rectify this, l used the wooden end of a hammer and gave the abs unit a couple of hits from wooden end of hammer. This freed up the brushes. It is quick fix and may not be a long term fix.
I have replaced my battery and recoded it using inpa and i didnt have any issues with my abs prior to the ground strap breaking causing all those faults. I’ve basically narrowed it down to a coding problem and I don’t want to brick my new CAS module lol