LSD - M3 lsd+axles+driveshaft vs Mfactory lsd+axles

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Well, if thats the case, Got maybe 3-4 days on first set. And the next day the 2nd set broke during a 40 roll. Just don't get it. Read elsewhere also the lsd isnt that great either on top of here. So m3 swap or 8.8 swap is the only viable option.
Holy shit....so you had an axle from Mfactory last 1 day !!!??

Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Well, if thats the case, Got maybe 3-4 days on first set. And the next day the 2nd set broke during a 40 roll. Just don't get it. Read elsewhere also the lsd isnt that great either on top of here. So m3 swap or 8.8 swap is the only viable option.
Did the 2nd set break same axle and same spot ? Curious as mine broke same as your first one. My stock broke right side , inside, near pumpkin.

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
I can't knock the M3 diff and axles that I have installed. The OEM LSD center has been replaced with a modified E36 M3 LSD. This work was done by Diff Lab here in Brisbane, Australia. Check out their website. I run Mickey Thompson 275/40 R 17 ET Street S/S Radials and have done a 1.57s 60' without any issue with the M3 diff or axles.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Did the 2nd set break same axle and same spot ? Curious as mine broke same as your first one. My stock broke right side , inside, near pumpkin.
Yep, lasted one day. Put them in on a friday evening. Did one 40 roll on a Saturday afternoon with 2 passengers and away she went.

They have all broken, even the factory, at the outer joint. Where it goes into the hub. All 6 cv balls fly out like a lawnmower hitting rocks and sling grease all over. But no reason why expensive axles should break like that.

Cars single 6466, 33lbs. So makes good power.

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_232830_952.jpg
    IMG_20191103_232830_952.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 68

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Yep, lasted one day. Put them in on a friday evening. Did one 40 roll on a Saturday afternoon with 2 passengers and away she went.

They have all broken, even the factory, at the outer joint. Where it goes into the hub. All 6 cv balls fly out like a lawnmower hitting rocks and sling grease all over. But no reason why expensive axles should break like that.

That sucks. Im tryimg to see what Mfactory can do for me BEFORE I install this new set that arrives tomorrow. They say they have revised the cages that were failing / have failed to stronger material. As I told him, would suck to have to install a new set of axles with same material as first, wait for them to break, THEN have them do something about them. We will see on their thread what they tell me.
Btw, Im nowhere near your power level and still broke an Mfactory / YCW axle. :(

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
That sucks. Im tryimg to see what Mfactory can do for me BEFORE I install this new set that arrives tomorrow. They say they have revised the cages that were failing / have failed to stronger material. As I told him, would suck to have to install a new set of axles with same material as first, wait for them to break, THEN have them do something about them. We will see on their thread what they tell me.
Btw, Im nowhere near your power level and still broke an Mfactory / YCW axle. :(
Yeah i seen that, and posts there as well. Thats kinda sad that lower power levels break them. I kinda wonder how they do their "testing". Cause if theyre not real world in cars, vs a "simulation" it does no good. At least my take on it.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Yeah i seen that, and posts there as well. Thats kinda sad that lower power levels break them. I kinda wonder how they do their "testing". Cause if theyre not real world in cars, vs a "simulation" it does no good. At least my take on it.
Agreed, we will see what they do for me on these. As I said, not wanting to go thru 2 sets before something is done about them. They said they were on a test car with 550lb ft when they first came out and were holding up fine. Im at 560lb ft so go figure.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Dam guys! Thanks for sharing this info. I was about to get some axles. Was probably also going to get an lsd as the M3 swap for a 2.56 ratio 335i dct is really complex and expensive. So glad I didn't. It's a lot of money for me being based in Europe and sending stuff back would be a real PITA. Plus I have to pay people to fit and remove the hardware.
You've saved me a huge amount of head aches! Might have to get new stock axles. Car is 2009. Original axles. Daily 25 psi on GC turbos. About 620whp. Boost is set lower below 4500rpm to save parts.

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .

Is that the bearing cage?

My factory axle let go on a roll too.

My mFactory axles are solid (big bearing cage) have a quaife lsd. Lots of abuse inc. 131mph 1/4 miles , 1.6 60ft.

When I took the old ones out and installed the mfactory, i used new bolts and plates for attaching to the diff. These are single use bolts (if you reuse you are asking for big dramas). They are cheap.. Also torque them right etc. Rnsured no bashing of anything to get them in at all (although tempting).

Having said that big torque , heavy car. 8.8 is the no brainer for big power but, pay to play

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Alot of 135i have better input shaft design so I would research and see which you have cause some were bolted instead of spline so you may already have stronger one. Also unless your dct dont worry about input shaft the dct is using a 2.56 rear so it is taking alot more stress on input shaft. On a auto it's a non issue and cause the 3.46 ratio and mt unless your running dr or r comp and have serious clutch your prob ok to. Also m3 diff is not way to go for 650 hp unless your upgrading diff in which case might as well go 8.8 . The amount of mfactory rears that have broken is within the noise. I personally know 900 hp build that thrashes his car all the time and he runs mfactory and has yet to break input shaft on a mt. I also know you can go cryo if you feel the need.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Dam guys! Thanks for sharing this info. I was about to get some axles. Was probably also going to get an lsd as the M3 swap for a 2.56 ratio 335i dct is really complex and expensive. So glad I didn't. It's a lot of money for me being based in Europe and sending stuff back would be a real PITA. Plus I have to pay people to fit and remove the hardware.
You've saved me a huge amount of head aches! Might have to get new stock axles. Car is 2009. Original axles. Daily 25 psi on GC turbos. About 620whp. Boost is set lower below 4500rpm to save parts.
You might want to take a look at this

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
I never said do not do business with them. The axles failed. No question about that. Mfactory said in the other thread that they are aware and now have beefier axles. How much abuse they will take, we will have to wait and see. So if you were to try and get axles from them, definitely ask for the revised axles which are supposed to be stronger according to them. Or , run stock until they break (and they will break, just a matter of time). Unless something has changed, DSS axles need your existing axles to upgrade them which for you, would be a headache for sure. Hope this helps.

On another note, still cant get my car back on the road. If I dont get revised axles soon, I will go with fcp euro and keep it pushing. This is the longest my car has ever been down.....and for a simple axle its just stupid.

Last edited:

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
So can someone confirm that mFactory axles snap the steel shaft itself and not the bearing cage for the CV ?

The reason I am guessing for the cage failure is going to be likely people reusing the bolts and locating washers. The washers/plates are less of a problem (but cheap anyway)

. If you reuse those bolts it will definately let go and the bolts snap under repeated load and cause the CV cage to be ripped appart.

Otherwise keen to hear if these axles break in the middle/steel section.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
So can someone confirm that mFactory axles snap the steel shaft itself and not the bearing cage for the CV ?

The reason I am guessing for the cage failure is going to be likely people reusing the bolts and locating washers. The washers/plates are less of a problem (but cheap anyway)

. If you reuse those bolts it will definately let go and the bolts snap under repeated load and cause the CV cage to be ripped appart.

The shaft doesnt snap, never seen an issue with any stock or aftermarket. And its not the inside hub that broke on mine. It was the outer with the axle nut. Has nothing to do with the bolts or anything related to inner. In fact, i still used my retainers and bolts and never had an issue ever regarding those.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93

Shouldnt make assumptions / guess....My axle failed , POINT BLANK. New bolts, new nuts, new plates. I can send you a video of the axle if you like along with pics of all new hardware AGAIN to install new shafts. Mfactory / Michael is sending me revised axles which he says are stronger. If there are now stronger axles / parts available, guess what ? They were not the strongest they could possibly be in the first place.
Food for thought.
Axle shafts looked flawless though.

Reactions: rev210

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
The shaft doesnt snap, never seen an issue with any stock or aftermarket. And its not the inside hub that broke on mine. It was the outer with the axle nut. Has nothing to do with the bolts or anything related to inner. In fact, i still used my retainers and bolts and never had an issue ever regarding those.
Mine also broke at the outer towards the wheel. My factory axle did break at the inner and every STOCK axle failure I have seen is always at the exact location. The cage gives out. Never an issue with the bolts or hardware.

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Shouldnt make assumptions / guess....My axle failed , POINT BLANK. New bolts, new nuts, new plates. I can send you a video of the axle if you like along with pics of all new hardware AGAIN to install new shafts. Mfactory / Michael is sending me revised axles which he says are stronger. If there are now stronger axles / parts available, guess what ? They were not the strongest they could possibly be in the first place.
Food for thought.
Axle shafts looked flawless though.

Great. Thats the clarification I was after. I have an earlier 2019 set of YCW mFactory axles. So far so good on them but, who knows then? I have an Auto and things like a diff lockdown kit as well (zero axle tramp) so it might be much less strain for my car than a manual might have from shock loading?

When I looked up the bolts on the inner side they are single use , so replaced them all as a matter of correct process. Again not that it sounds like a failure point if the axles are weak elsewhere.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Great. Thats the clarification I was after. I have an earlier 2019 set of YCW mFactory axles. So far so good on them but, who knows then? I have an Auto and things like a diff lockdown kit as well (zero axle tramp) so it might be much less strain for my car than a manual might have from shock loading?

When I looked up the bolts on the inner side they are single use , so replaced them all as a matter of correct process. Again not that it sounds like a failure point if the axles are weak elsewhere.
Im also auto and my axle gave out in 3rd gear. Coming out of a hard turn and then on the straight away it gave out. Not a launch. Just a little more detail for you. Axle actually "looked" fine when I pulled it out at a glance. Not destroyed like my stock axle. Never the less, it was a complete failure as the car would not move an inch.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Not a huge help but I've had my YCW axles in for over a year. Stock CVs were going bad when I pulled them. Hundreds of pulls, couple track days. Probably 10k miles. No issues.

6MT 1er. First with 3.08 mfactory LSD, now 3.46 Drexler