Frame Rail Dimension

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I am planning on building support brackets in the front to make a chassis mounted diffusor which reaches until the downpipes connect to the exhaust.
I can make actually a very nice bracket which has its mounting position between the front frame rails and the crashbar.

Before i disassemble everything only to measure that area, i thought may be somebody has the information or can quickly measure because he is sitting in front of a disassembled car :D

What i am looking for are two measures visualized in pretty blue lines:
Bolt to Bolt Distance horizontally
Bolt to Bolt Distance vertically
1698756521746.png

I marked the blue lines with arrows in case you don´t see them on the first picture:
1698756635854.png

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
I have the oil cooler/auxiliary radiator supports off the car at the moment. So I can easily measure this for you from what BMW considers their own tolerances to be, if that works?

IMG_0028.jpeg

Do you have a clear image of exactly what you would like measuring? I find red circles really help.

Edit: Added image of bracket, complete with Alpina stamp. 😍

Last edited:

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I have the oil cooler/auxiliary radiator supports off the car at the moment. So I can easily measure this for you from what BMW considers their own tolerances to be, if that works?

View attachment 87610

Do you have a clear image of exactly what you would like measuring? I find red circles really help.

Didn't you see the arrows🤷‍♂

🤣🤣🤣

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT

View attachment 87610

That is great!!

please be so kind and measure the hole to hole distances vertically and horizontally. I am out of red circles right now as i spend everything on the arrows. :D

You can simply measure the distance between the holes. No need to figure the middle of the bore or something.

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
I went out and measured the studs as that’s what you originally wanted (and it wasn’t raining). The blue line is 55mm and the blue line is 163mm. The studs are M8. Measured centre to centre on a September 2009 build E87. I measured both leg ends, they are the same (as you’d expect).

Edit: Grammar.

Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
In for results, been thinking about doings something similar for awhile now!

Results will take some time. I have a pretty long list of things i want to do and this one went a little down in the priority list.

I received a clean and powdered subframe last week which will get new bearings arms etc now. So happy that it already got a few scratches during shipping.

JOvheT5TkCOv0qN2z3i=w2422-h1816-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Reactions: Boorda and DirtKurt

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Results will take some time. I have a pretty long list of things i want to do and this one went a little down in the priority list.

I received a clean and powdered subframe last week which will get new bearings arms etc now. So happy that it already got a few scratches during shipping.

View attachment 87656

I sense solid aluminium "bushings" pending press.

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
Yeah I know how that goes, Barely put 1000 miles on my car this year after it being apart for the last 3 years.

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Sadly i purchased some PU bushings a year or two ago and will go that route now.
I would consider cutting your losses and going solid if you can.

A mate of mine has gone from Powerflex black to solid after going in my car with solid subframe bushes.

• Agree
Reactions: ShocknAwe

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
are you guys trying to get me into solid bushings rather than PU ??

Come one. I spent so much money now... fuck me.

Is the difference so big?

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
are you guys trying to get me into solid bushings rather than PU ??

Come one. I spent so much money now... fuck me.

Is the difference so big?
For how much of a pita it is to change them I would do the billet or delrin and be done with it. I am not a fan of the poly stuff.

Reactions: CalvinNismo