What's necessary to increase rev limit

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
I see a few tables on rev limit but wondering if that's all that needs to be adjusted on the tune side to rev higher.

Rev limit by gear ceiling (MT)

Should I rescale maps?
Adjust vanos tables for those higher rpm ranges? I already run modified vanos tables.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I see a few tables on rev limit but wondering if that's all that needs to be adjusted on the tune side to rev higher.

Rev limit by gear ceiling (MT)

Should I rescale maps?
Adjust vanos tables for those higher rpm ranges? I already run modified vanos tables.

Great question, having this done soon and would like to know the work behind the scene.

Have you done any internals work or maintenance by chance for insurance, and what are you raising it to?

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
Great question, having this done soon and would like to know the work behind the scene.

Have you done any internals work or maintenance by chance for insurance, and what are you raising it to?

I've had the car for almost 90k miles. Maintenance is all in order. Stock long block.

And I'm planning on raising it to around 7500 maybe more if I find out the system can handle it.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I've had the car for almost 90k miles. Maintenance is all in order. Stock long block.

And I'm planning on raising it to around 7500 maybe more if I find out the system can handle it.

Sounds good. Did you do rod bearings? I'm changing mine before raising it.

Curious to hear how you will tell if the system can handle it though?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I would be interested in what hardware changes are 'really' needed...Reving out to 7800 or 8150 sure would be nice. I have a spare head I could built and slap in cams.

I find it hard to believe the engine stock could not handle a bump. I can't imagine valves start to float or you run into other issues at 7300. On many platforms you can increase 500rpms or so and not change any hardware.

500 rpm increase to 7700 would be a nice increase...

Reactions: ShocknAwe

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
Sounds good. Did you do rod bearings? I'm changing mine before raising it.

Curious to hear how you will tell if the system can handle it though?

No I haven't done rod bearings, don't really plan on replacing them.

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
I would be interested in what hardware changes are 'really' needed...Reving out to 7800 or 8150 sure would be nice. I have a spare head I could built and slap in cams.

I find it hard to believe the engine stock could not handle a bump. I can't imagine valves start to float or you run into other issues at 7300. On many platforms you can increase 500rpms or so and not change any hardware.

500 rpm increase to 7700 would be a nice increase...

I've heard valve float does start to creep in as you go over 7500. But I haven't seen a video of someone running the engine that high with a high-speed camera to verify so it could just be more rumor than fact.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Minimal work? Put new rpm in all the rev limiter tables and send it.

All my tables are re-scaled for higher rpm as most of the stock breakpoints stop at like 6000-6500.

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
Minimal work? Put new rpm in all the rev limiter tables and send it.

All my tables are re-scaled for higher rpm as most of the stock breakpoints stop at like 6000-6500.

Ok, I thought it looked that simple but I never want to assume.

When you rescale your tables do you expand the full spectrum or keep some areas more detailed than others?

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
I revv'd out to 7500 after consulting Justin @ Twisted and Ken @ Wedge -- stock head and bottom end. I didn't have any issues or mishaps during the year it was that way -- then sold the car. They had some uncertainties about revving out to 8k but technically it's just a tune away. I noticed with my mmp 3 twins, there wasn't actually a point in revving more my powerband hadn't shifted that far to the right. My peak hp was still at like 6100 or something on the dyno. I question if you don't have cams if it doesn't net you any more horsepower.

The drag guy sendit_e90 or whatever his IG was revving to the max of the stock ecu (8150) on stock components with nitrous but he dgaf -- he was sorta trying to break stuff. Last I checked, he didn't have issues with it but then got a built motor next.