What code reader should I buy?

DCTFox

Private
Aug 15, 2019
Ride
E92 N54 335i DCT
Hi guys, been lurking this forum for a while now but didn’t seem appropriate to join up while I was driving a 320d.

Just picked up my 335i two days ago and did a quick pull on the way home from work today, 2nd gear from around 30mph.

Got to around 60mph and boom, car goes into limp mode. First thought was charge pipe blew off so drove home and checked under the bonnet but charge pipe appears to be intact so I need a code reader to try and figure out what’s wrong with it.

Had a quick search on the forum but didn’t seem to be many threads on the topic, so any suggestions? I am in the UK.

Side note, anyone know what normal oil temps should be? Cruising along the highway it sits at around 100C (212F) but shot up to 120C (248F) during the short-lived pull.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: doublespaces

DCTFox

Private
Aug 15, 2019
Ride
E92 N54 335i DCT
What assholes. I would keep an eye on the car and see if it goes right back for sale or if they actually fix it.

If they are being sketchy assholes maybe write a piece in your local newspaper about them or write some online reviews on social media etc.
My thoughts exactly. Four hours after they collected it from me they had it back up for sale, for £500 more than I paid for it as well.
I’ll be leaving a bad review warning others to stay away.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
My thoughts exactly. Four hours after they collected it from me they had it back up for sale, for £500 more than I paid for it as well.
I’ll be leaving a bad review warning others to stay away.

Scum bags. Which makes sense given their return policy. They knowingly sold you a car that can't go WOT for even 5 seconds. F them.

DCTFox

Private
Aug 15, 2019
Ride
E92 N54 335i DCT
Scum bags. Which makes sense given their return policy. They knowingly sold you a car that can't go WOT for even 5 seconds. F them.
Yep. Seems almost impossible to find a used car salesman that isn’t a crook these days.
I’ll be wringing the neck out of the next one on the test drive, if there’s anything wrong with it I’m gonna find it lol.