Ad: VTT "Spline Lock" Crank Hub Solution Now Available!

victor247

Oct 30, 2018
Ride
335i e93 Doc Race 6266
From what I've seen, the last part of your post seems correct too. Most people who have the issue are pushing high power and still just barely have it slip. But my whole thing when it comes to my car is being preventative even if its possibly overkill - that's why I bought the PSP oil cooler, that's why I went with MMP 1Ks, that's why I'm getting coated rod bearings put in when this goes on, that's why I want a metal intake manifold and a sturdier trans.

I can see why some people would still prefer the keyed hub and I'm not gonna try to sway them if they're set on that. But this solution seems more than capable of preventing that tiny bit of slip that happens, it's a very well designed and built piece, and for a fraction of a paycheck I think it's worth it for me. If I was aiming for some crazy 1400hp build then maybe I would've gone with a keyed solution - but my goal is more like 650-700 and running low 10s at the strip, not a built engine dyno queen that does a kill run 3 times a year just to hold a record.

I want to have a car that meets my standards of fun and is reliable while doing it. Like my previous posts stated, if this reduces my chance of a slipped hub by any decently high measurable % then it's worth it to me. And I think judging from the data and real world Tony abuse (which most humans can't even handle :tonguewink:) it's likely to do the trick.

Any luck? I think I commented on your post on FB. I'm looking at it now. If not for your post, i wouldn't have known about it. I spun my crank two times now.

Thanks for your kind words. We do enjoy innovation, actually creating things, and pushing the platform. A lot of people miss out on the value of actually creating, and instead it becomes an arms race for who has the best critical comment from their armchair. Remember, practical experience is never obsolete or irrelevant. This mindset is not unique to forums, the corporate world is rife with those people as well (that's not to say a good constructive discussion doesn't have a place -very much so!). I'm proud of that aspect of working with Tony, all of the ideas have to survive when the rubber meets the road, and worse, all parts are subjected to full-Tony treatment (never go full-Tony). We have quite a few new products coming out soon(ish…. is it ever soon enough?). I look forward to announcing their release.

Chris

Any way I can get the early launch price? I'll pay today and install it myself as soon as I get it. Ill take some nice photos too. :) LMK Thanks!

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Any luck? I think I commented on your post on FB. I'm looking at it now. If not for your post, i wouldn't have known about it. I spun my crank two times now.

Any way I can get the early launch price? I'll pay today and install it myself as soon as I get it. Ill take some nice photos too. :) LMK Thanks!
Yep, that was me on FB/Insta that got pictures out in the wild. Since the oil pan has to get dropped, I'm getting some VAC coated rod bearings put in at the same time and getting a new VC too since mine is old and I recently cracked it when reinstalling an external PCV adapter (red RTV fixed the leak, but I'm not about that Honda life and would prefer a proper fix).

It does come with some very detailed instructions and a couple pages of pictures, but since it requires special BMW tools and taking off the timing chain it's not gonna be a DIY for most people who aren't intimately familiar with BMW engines. I've had a few people ask me to type up the instructions/take pics while its installed but tbh I think the instructions are descriptive enough for anyone capable of actually doing the job. If you've fixed your own engine twice I'm sure you can do it, but I'm not comfortable uploading VTT's guide without their permission and I think most people asking for a DIY underestimate what it takes.

victor247

Oct 30, 2018
Ride
335i e93 Doc Race 6266
Ok, Well if that's what BF means. Dang thats a whole 23 days. lol

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
@victor247 ... 23 days ... . And then the black friday sale hits, and we'll all know what to do with the monies.

Filippo
And by that you mean, still spend more money than you planned right? :grin: If the shotgun setups are heavily discounted my bank account is gonna have a personal grudge against VTT this year.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
And by that you mean, still spend more money than you planned right? :grin: If the shotgun setups are heavily discounted my bank account is gonna have a personal grudge against VTT this year.
I can not personally recommend going on credit. I still have the single barrel I bought last year, since I bailed on twins last winter given inconclusive queasiness on what to get. That said, I feel ya!

What about a Halloween deal? :)
quote-everything-comes-if-a-man-will-only-wait-benjamin-disraeli-341455.jpg

Filippo

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I can not personally recommend going on credit. I still have the single barrel I bought last year, since I bailed on twins last winter given inconclusive queasiness on what to get. That said, I feel ya!

View attachment 17070

Filippo
Nah I didn't mean credit cards specifically - just seems like everytime I plan on one part I get two or three more because its convenient to do them at the same time. Same reason I'm delaying putting on this spline lock for another week or so - waiting on coated bearings to come in and mithr buy the lower lift Schrick cams.

Reactions: fmorelli

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Nah I didn't mean credit cards specifically - just seems like everytime I plan on one part I get two or three more because its convenient to do them at the same time. Same reason I'm delaying putting on this spline lock for another week or so - waiting on coated bearings to come in and mithr buy the lower lift Schrick cams.

Has anyone done a dyno with the low lift cams?
i have only seen the high lift

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Has anyone done a dyno with the low lift cams?
i have only seen the high lift
Not that I've seen, and Schrick isn't very open to giving out info on them. I sent an email asking for any numbers that increase regarding rpm range, flow, duration, lift etc aside from a broad HP guess and the only reply I got was "it depends, most people upgrade turbos and everything else at the same time too" even though I listed my mods in the initial email.

I understand not wanting to say "itll give you 50 peak hp!" but not offering *any* info on even the physical differences is kinda frustrating. If they had offered me any substantial info I'd likely have ordered them already, as of now I'm on the fence.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
@Panzerfaust , if you want a ballpark estimate of the % whp/torque increase when going with "low-lift" 268s on a modern dual-VVT 500cc/cyl engine with a responsive turbocharger setup (meaning that the gains increase with turbo size), look no further than the link below:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...orth-cams-before-after-dyno-graph-inside.html

Data like this is what made me go for cams sight-unseen, because the laws of physics governing ICEs are not platform-specific :)

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
@Panzerfaust , if you want a ballpark estimate of the % whp/torque increase when going with "low-lift" 268s on a modern dual-VVT 500cc/cyl engine with a responsive turbocharger setup (meaning that the gains increase with turbo size), look no further than the link below:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...orth-cams-before-after-dyno-graph-inside.html

Data like this is what made me go for cams sight-unseen, because the laws of physics governing ICEs are not platform-specific :)
Thank you! I'll be reading that when I get off of work. I'm well familiar with what the benefits of cams can be on N/A domestic V8s from my brief venture into the LS world, but it all seemed very dependent on the "size" differences of the cams on how they'd effect flow etc, let alone actual power gains. Which is why I asked Schrick for those numbers rather than specifically HP, but something that sums that up for an engine like ours is even better so it's much appreciated!

You wouldn't happen to know what the stock cams specs are or a rough estimate of the increase in lift/duration etc from these cams would you? I know you do your research but I don't remember if you posted comparison measurements in your build thread or not.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I think the other factor is what the cars are built for. Honestly for a long time, the "V8" cars were detuned to shit. My dad had a 305cid Trans Am that put out 165hp. An E30 could probably outrun it. BMW did a pretty good job, generally, designing for power, balance, and reliability in the mechanical aspects. But the turbo game is very different. I don't think it is an accident that BMW's head is choked like it is, with the small frame twins. It was really its first modern turbo offering in the market. That car was built to be like an NA car with lots more power anywhere you touched the gas, in the 0 to 300whp zone.

What many of us are doing is quite different than what BMW was designing for. We realize the platform gives us tools to go 2x WHP without rocket science, and 3x WHP with rocket science. To those in the Turbo World, that's not a huge surprise. To those of us coming from a traditional BMW World (NA motors) it is mind blowing.

I'm curious to see where @hydra lands with some dyno pulls with his setup, and just overall curious to see how everything comes together - looks practical ... and promising.

Filippo

Reactions: kayzrx82

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I think the other factor is what the cars are built for. Honestly for a long time, the "V8" cars were detuned to shit. My dad had a 305cid Trans Am that put out 165hp. An E30 could probably outrun it. BMW did a pretty good job, generally, designing for power, balance, and reliability in the mechanical aspects. But the turbo game is very different. I don't think it is an accident that BMW's head is choked like it is, with the small frame twins. It was really its first modern turbo offering in the market. That car was built to be like an NA car with lots more power anywhere you touched the gas, in the 0 to 300whp zone.

What many of us are doing is quite different than what BMW was designing for. We realize the platform gives us tools to go 2x WHP without rocket science, and 3x WHP with rocket science. To those in the Turbo World, that's not a huge surprise. To those of us coming from a traditional BMW World (NA motors) it is mind blowing.

I'm curious to see where @hydra lands with some dyno pulls with his setup, and just overall curious to see how everything comes together - looks practical ... and promising.

Filippo
You make some very good points, not to mention that up until very very recently most domestic V8s were either single cam, non-VVT (my LS3 had a very primitive version), or both - whereas we effectively run several different cam profiles straight from the factory.

Like you, I was used to older BMWs and not at all familiar with how turbos worked. The combination of that, and knowing what products we already have excites me though. The fact that we *can* crank out 2.5x the stock BHP at our wheels without pretty damn common modifications is mindblowing and exciting to me. That's why I'm so inclined to give the cams a shot. I mean, we aren't even that advanced with our extra fueling, have no real options for high stall converters, no proper drag suspension setups, very limited options for heads, manifolds, and rear ends - what we've already achieved is certainly impressive but I'm excited to see what another few years brings to the platform still. That's why I enjoy this platform more than the LS one - we still have plenty of ground to break before anything gets boring for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
So im a little confused. If it were to spin, it digs itself deeper. How much deeper ? It has to bottom out at some point. Also if it digs in deeper, wouldnt timing be off since it spins and grooves are twisted and not straight in and out ?