Transmission swap: trans jack and jack stand recommendarions?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Really don't feel like spending the money on a quick jack although I will do it before I pay the labor to have my dct swapped in. But first I'd like to see if anyone has some jack stand recommendations that can get the car off the ground high enough to lift in the transmission?

They have cheap and reasonably low profile transmission jacks but the question of how I get the car in the air and just how high does it REALLY need to be in order to get the transmission up in the tunnel still remains to be answered in my head.

Who has done a swap at home and what did you use?

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I had purchased this low profile transmission jack from Harbor Freight but then I said to myself....nuh uh, nope, not going to do it. Bought a low profile 2 post 8k lb lift and a telescoping transmission jack instead that I put in my third stall of the garage. Lift is by far top 5 best purchases of my life.

I know this doesn't help you but lifts aren't as expensive as some people might think and if you have the room it's a great purchase. For the DIY'er, there is no reason to spend the money on a BendPak or something similar.

I also do maintenance on a few neighborhood cars and get paid in free lawn mowing and beers so there's that :smirk:

Reactions: houtan

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I have done it on jack stands twice. If i remember correctly I used a solid wood base to raise the jack stands so they were not maxed out. As far as a trans jack I made a wood platform to bolt to my floor jack and that bolted to my trans. Ill see if I can dig up a picture. Does not look the prettiest but worked excellent.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've done a trans swap before, but that was on a 2G Eclipse and it was smaller. I appreciate all feedback and opinions.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I couldn't seem to find any pics with the trans on. It bolts to the mounting holes for the exhaust bracket. This keeps it moving from side to side and front and back. To mount to the jack I drilled and tapped two holes in the mounting pad of my low profile jack. Doesn't look the prettiest but worked excellent. As for the height you need to measure from the base of whatever trans jack you are using + to height of the bellhousing. I believe the lowest point was the subframe/oilpan. You deft have to get it is pretty high, but definitely doable on jack stands.
20190426_214114.jpg
20190426_214109.jpg

Attachments

• 20190426_214109.jpg
    20190426_214109.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 80

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have done a clutch job with my Quickjack and a transmission jack under that was never going to go low enough to actually get the trans out from under the car.

We resorted to balancing it on our low profile floor jack then sliding it off onto cardboard and pulling it out from under the car.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I did an auto xdrive trans swap on harbor freight jack stands set as high as they could go and used a harbor freight motorcycle jack as my trans jack. It took a little fannagling but i got it. Should be a simple 3 afternoons after your day job.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hmmmm. How much you thinking it’s gonna cost?

I've bought everything already, uncertain on how much I've paid.

Why not go 6mt?

Because I live in the city and I want my car to shift faster, not slower. Here is an example of what our BMW DCT can do, courtesy @Nisse Järnet

If I lived in Oregon again then I would want a manual, but I encounter traffic enough that is not my top option.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hmmm. Are you past 2k?

To replicate my build it will cost a good bit more. Dodson Sportsman Plus clutches, M3 GWS conversion, MFactory 8 bolt SMFW and 2.56 LSD. Although I've recently sold the LSD and am wanting to do M3 differential.

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I did an auto xdrive trans swap on harbor freight jack stands set as high as they could go and used a harbor freight motorcycle jack as my trans jack.

This is how I did my clutch job.. Jack stands, a motorcycle Jack, and a second set of hands. Surprisingly wasn't too terrible. I'm sure RWD helps and I would guess the manual is lighter than both the DCT and Auto?

@doublespaces how's the swap coming along?

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
bumping for updates. I will need to do my dct flywheel at some point in the future and would like to DIY it as well.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This is how I did my clutch job.. Jack stands, a motorcycle Jack, and a second set of hands. Surprisingly wasn't too terrible. I'm sure RWD helps and I would guess the manual is lighter than both the DCT and Auto?

@doublespaces how's the swap coming along?

Backlogged behind other stuff. Life is being needy right now.

Reactions: houtan

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
ESCO 10498 with BMW blocks will get you 21" off the ground if going old school. If spending money, in a home garage I'm drooling at Twin Busch Double Scissor Lift. Doesn't take up any room in the bay (no posts), pretty much full access to the underside of the car, and no concerns about concrete mods (like most post lifts) as it distributes load. Can even take it with you when you move ;-).

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Lsd is working great I must say. Thanks again

Oh was that you? I'm glad it's working well! It needed a good home, I was ignoring it.

ESCO 10498 with BMW blocks will get you 21" off the ground if going old school. If spending money, in a home garage I'm drooling at Twin Busch Double Scissor Lift. Doesn't take up any room in the bay (no posts), pretty much full access to the underside of the car, and no concerns about concrete mods (like most post lifts) as it distributes load. Can even take it with you when you move ;-).

Filippo

These are the first I looked at. IIRC, at those prices, you're almost to a quick jack.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli