Standalone Tuning price

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Aside from the cost of the standalone unit itself, what kind of price ranges are we looking at to get the car 'tuned'? I suspect this definition changes by the person, but lets just say, acceptable daily driving and some amateur drag racing.

Reactions: kayzrx82

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Aside from the cost of the standalone unit itself, what kind of price ranges are we looking at to get the car 'tuned'? I suspect this definition changes by the person, but lets just say, acceptable daily driving and some amateur drag racing.

In my opinion, I wouldn't pay all that much because anyone can get the base timing off a stock N54 bin. Nowadays a lot of standalone's offer a form of self tuning for fuel so that cuts time and increases efficiency a ton.

I came from a Megasquirt 2 and its a fossil compared to the newer ones, and getting some tables like: acceleration enrichment, mat density, map scaling was pretty tricky to fine tune and I would gladly pay someone to do those for me

All in all, the price i'd pay varies from engine to engine. N54 single turbo? Not all that much compared to my brothers S38, as there are no base maps out there for that motor, and I don't have a dyno to maintain a specific load and rpm to finely tweak the timing.

Also the fact that the S38 doesn't have any knock sensors and I would have to use det cans, making it just another inconvenience...

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
A very skilled tuner starts at 1500 and goes up depending what you want done like launch control, nls etc etc

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt

At this point what is it exactly that still warrants a standalone like syvecs?

Thought the tables had been unlocked well enough for the vast majority of use scenarios and motiv has some pigs that can handle anything else that the DME doesn't already directly control.

DCT swaps maybe?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Only thing would be true race car like if need antilag or true launch control cause like u said the stock dme is insane now and it's very powerful. The knock sensor tuning could be something but xhp can do a psuedo launch control and a hotbox can do a basic antilag. Fueling tables and recent developments fixed the dme controlled e85 builds unless going for high hp builds but even pi is way safer on stock dme now. Also tuning is not as straightforward cause as was previously discovered the timing numbers bmw reads vs what syvecs showed were not inline for some reason.