Stage 3 clutch install gone wrong

Boostedbmw89

Oct 14, 2019
Ride
2009 135i
So i installed the spec clutch sometime last year when i built the rear of the car. Did some motor work, cleaned everything up and went for startup. Clutch in, brake in, push start, all hell broke loose. Sounded like a war going on inside the transmisson. During startup the clutch VIOLENTLY kicks back at me and i immediately got out of it. Started looking at the little things like the slave cylinder. Removed it, started the car, ran flawlessly. Installed a brand new one, bled the system, same thing happened. Just took the transmission out again today and found this. Trans side the arm was in place, throw out bearing in place(low position) all is fine. Looked at the clutch..all was fine. When i went to take the bolts off the pressure place i noticed all of them were chipped. Look back at the transmission side and something i wasnt expecting to see is the pivot arm was sliced up. Idk how it happened but for some reason(even off the clutch with just the slave installed) The pivot arm is extended so far that when the plate spins its smacking against the arm causing all the symptoms above. Its weird because when i took the transmission out everything looked installed fine. If im missing something let me know. Thanks in advanced

Attachments

• 51DCF6F7-8BBD-43E4-B08F-5C2401CB7BF2.jpeg
    51DCF6F7-8BBD-43E4-B08F-5C2401CB7BF2.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 75
  • B0B08729-1AA8-4FFC-8675-AD0D3944A68D.jpeg
    B0B08729-1AA8-4FFC-8675-AD0D3944A68D.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 07F06B31-63E8-4C1A-BB56-0CBA2620DBE4.jpeg
    07F06B31-63E8-4C1A-BB56-0CBA2620DBE4.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 71

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Just take a look at it and see if it is deformed at all. Ive run into this before. Those are the upgraded bolts that VTT recommends right?

Assuming the pins wore down, pushing the arm at a steeper angle hitting the bolts, vs it being at a less angle due to a longer/non wore pin? Makes more sense. You'd also be extending the slave cylinder more as well right?

O.p, you said you removed slave and started it. Hopefully when you did you unhooked and rebled. If not you can blow the seals in the slave if it has nothing to push against to stop from over extending. Thats what I've read around on forums. So whatever that may mean to ya.

Boostedbmw89

Oct 14, 2019
Ride
2009 135i
Silver....Yes those are bolts that VTT recommends. Installed following exactly his write up posted awhile back.

DCook...The initial clutch install i pulled the slave out still attached to the line. No bleed was necessary. Reinstalled and had those symptoms. First thing i did was bought a new slave, reinstalled, bled while installed, then went to start up. Same symptoms. Thats when i dropped the trans and found the pivot arm.

Ordered the steel pivot pin and a new clip from FCP last night. The throw out bearing and of course the slave is new also. Took the clutch apart to double check everything was installed correctly and it was so if this isnt it idk what is. Ill check back once re-installed

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
Assuming the pins wore down, pushing the arm at a steeper angle hitting the bolts, vs it being at a less angle due to a longer/non wore pin? Makes more sense. You'd also be extending the slave cylinder more as well right?
You nailed it.
Silver....Yes those are bolts that VTT recommends. Installed following exactly his write up posted awhile back.
The head of these bolts is higher than the round bolts included with the spec kit, so if that pivot pin is worn down at all then this is typically the result.

Boostedbmw89

Oct 14, 2019
Ride
2009 135i
I figured as much when i went back into the install thread to double check everything and noticed the spec bolts were definitely more of a lower profile. Looking over everything i can tell its barely making impact. Just enough to cause a hell of a issue. Thanks again for the help

Boostedbmw89

Oct 14, 2019
Ride
2009 135i
Update...steel pivot pin came and installed it. All is well and clutch works perfect. Recommend swapping that out during the clutch install. Cheap and easy and not worth the hassle on dropping the trans twice. Thanks for the help

Reactions: silverstreak18