Snelson3003

Sergeant
Nov 7, 2016
Denver
www.nelsonracingwheel.com
Ride
2010 BMW 135i
Hey Guys,

Some of you may know this already or this maybe the first you have heard: Using a Fuel-It! Stage 2 Pump requests a larger amount of draw from the PWM system to modulate fuel flow in tank to pressurize the HPFP. This is the EKP module that does this based upon PWM, load and RPM.

The issues i've seen pop up now that the Stage 2 pumps (doesn't seem to affect stage 3 pumps) is that the EKP overheats due to the added draw of a Walbro 450 pump. Causing many driving issues like a crashing LPFP which takes out the HPFP and causes a misfire. The only fix is to replace the EKP module with a new one (virgin module $250) or buy a used one off eBay ($50).

I did this recently and was told i would need to reprogram the EKP module or the car wont start. I installed mine and it started just fine! LPFP reading used to be 67 and now rests at 72-76 sometimes. Great!

BUT now I have over-fueling issue upon throttle tip in at WOT, which causes the AFR's to run super rich then super lean as the HPFP dives then stabilizes. . URGH!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO REPROGRAM THE EKP MODULE? OR HAVE ANY INSIGHT? I attached a log as well to show the lean spike and HPFP crash but recovers.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Attachments

• 2016-11-10 20_47_22 lean spike.csv
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,006
Reactions: fredcase

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i xdrive E90 Sedan
I have replaced my hpfp 3x. I have 110k miles. Each time both sensors are replaced. The last replacement was twon months ago with fcp euro so i don't have to pay for another one ever again.
I do know that the hpfp can fail multiple times. If my issue points to that I'm still under the 10 year / 120K mile BMW extended warranty. They'll probably give me push back if I don't have a specific code and because I'm modified but i would put up a fight and show them proof of what parts I already replaced.

I just put in the new EKPM3 and didn't even code it yet. It has the exact same part # as the one in my car however the Ebay ad said it came off of a 328i.

I just let the car idle for a minute and son of bitch it's hanging out at 72 psi!

When my wife get's home from running errands later I'll get her on the highway and log under WOT and report back.

if everything looks good I'm also scared to code it and possibly screw something up. In NCS expert isn't there a way to pull the FSW PSW off the module. I'm thinking I can pull that off the EKP in it's present state and then code to my car using my VO and then if for some reason that makes it worse I can then revert back to what's on the module currently. Any advice is appreciated - been years since I've coded so I'm rusty.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I do know that the hpfp can fail multiple times. If my issue points to that I'm still under the 10 year / 120K mile BMW extended warranty. They'll probably give me push back if I don't have a specific code and because I'm modified but i would put up a fight and show them proof of what parts I already replaced.

I just put in the new EKPM3 and didn't even code it yet. It has the exact same part # as the one in my car however the Ebay ad said it came off of a 328i.

I just let the car idle for a minute and son of bitch it's hanging out at 72 psi!

When my wife get's home from running errands later I'll get her on the highway and log under WOT and report back.

if everything looks good I'm also scared to code it and possibly screw something up. In NCS expert isn't there a way to pull the FSW PSW off the module. I'm thinking I can pull that off the EKP in it's present state and then code to my car using my VO and then if for some reason that makes it worse I can then revert back to what's on the module currently. Any advice is appreciated - been years since I've coded so I'm rusty.

I am not a coder but I did it myself with ncs expert. The same way that I code my paddles each time the deactivate after an xhp update.

Takes 3 mins. But I cannot tell you the steps because I am not qualified and my end up bricking your unit. You do need to code it though. That did not come from your car so it is using settings from a 328i. Much less fuel needs than a 335i. Sooner than later you will begin to see strange behavior.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
I am not a coder but I did it myself with ncs expert. The same way that I code my paddles each time the deactivate after an xhp update.

Takes 3 mins. But I cannot tell you the steps because I am not qualified and my end up bricking your unit. You do need to code it though. That did not come from your car so it is using settings from a 328i. Much less fuel needs than a 335i. Sooner than later you will begin to see strange behavior.

I read up and refreshed my memory. I'll post full feedback in the next post. Long story short, per INPA the new module had a different Zb number than the one in my car as expected. (335i vs. 328i)

I figured out how to download the FSW PSW from both the existing and new module and the settings were different. Did a separate read / download on each module plugged into my car with NCS Expert.

Then since the Zb number was different I went and used Winkfp. After entering my VIN and selecting the module Winkfp realized the zb number on the new module was different and suggested I flash the appropriate zb number which matched the one on my original unit. I flashed this zb in winkfp. I then double checked in INPA and now it it shows that the new module now has the correct zb number.

THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS WRONG. I MUST HAVE MADE SOME SORT OF MISTAKE. UPDATING THE ZB # IN WINKFP ACTUALLY DOES NOT CHANGE THE FSW PSW SETTINGS. Then I went back to NCS Expert and downloaded the FSW PSW from the new EKP module and now the settings on the new module are exactly the same as they were on the original module which obviously must have happened by virtue of flashing with winkfp. Therefore I didn't flash anything to the module via NCS Expert as this seems like it was already taken care of with Winkfp.

Also, I did reset adaptations again.

If I did anything incorrectly someone please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffman

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
Here are logs with the new (well new to me, but technically a used) EKPM3: https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/2-all-3rd-gears-1-light-throttle-going-through-gears

Much better! On light cruise I hover right around 72 psi. On WOT I don't dip below 60psi.

The thing does get very hot - will look into adding a heatsink but worst case scenarios they are cheap.

I guess technically a truer test would have been if I only replaced the EKP module. Technically I did replace both the high and low pressure sensors earlier this week but saw no change after replacing either of those.

If anyone compares the logs in this post to the one I posted earlier in the week, please disregard any AFR differences. The logs in this post are on an updated map that runs a little leaner than the map I was running earlier in the week and timing is a bit more aggressive too.

Also, not I did three drive cycles today while running errands and running up and down the highway to catch some logs. It took some time to adapt. Initially fuel pressure did drop as low as 50 psi @ WOT. At some points at idle / cruise pressure was at 82 and also around 60 psi.

Now that it's had time to adapt idle / cruise is stable around 72 psi and WOT doesn't drop below 60ish psi.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Here are logs with the new (well new to me, but technically a used) EKPM3: https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/2-all-3rd-gears-1-light-throttle-going-through-gears

Much better! On light cruise I hover right around 72 psi. On WOT I don't dip below 60psi.

The thing does get very hot - will look into adding a heatsink but worst case scenarios they are cheap.

I guess technically a truer test would have been if I only replaced the EKP module. Technically I did replace both the high and low pressure sensors earlier this week but saw no change after replacing either of those.

If anyone compares the logs in this post to the one I posted earlier in the week, please disregard any AFR differences. The logs in this post are on an updated map that runs a little leaner than the map I was running earlier in the week and timing is a bit more aggressive too.

Also, not I did three drive cycles today while running errands and running up and down the highway to catch some logs. It took some time to adapt. Initially fuel pressure did drop as low as 50 psi @ WOT. At some points at idle / cruise pressure was at 82 and also around 60 psi.

Now that it's had time to adapt idle / cruise is stable around 72 psi and WOT doesn't drop below 60ish psi.
Excellent!

Reactions: mfish123

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Where's the best place to buy a (new?) EKPM3 module? FCPEuro is listing them for $323...

That's were I got mine. Because that will be the very last time I pay for that thing. Always FCP euro for stock parts. My car is almost fully warranted parts lifetime because I been slowly converting to FCP for all my maintenance needs.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
Where's the best place to buy a (new?) EKPM3 module? FCPEuro is listing them for $323...

Not sure about new. Maybe Tischer BMW? If you're friendly with a mechanic maybe they can get you one at a wholesale price?

My thought process on the used one was that if I got one from a 328i then it wouldn't have had a "hard life".

Whereas if I got one from a 335i (or any other n54 powered vehicle) then there would be the possibility that it was used to power an upgraded fuel pump that was putting more strain on it. Or I would imagine that even a tuned car with the OEM pump would still strain the module more than a non tuned car with an OEM pump.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Not sure about new. Maybe Tischer BMW? If you're friendly with a mechanic maybe they can get you one at a wholesale price?

My thought process on the used one was that if I got one from a 328i then it wouldn't have had a "hard life".

Whereas if I got one from a 335i (or any other n54 powered vehicle) then there would be the possibility that it was used to power an upgraded fuel pump that was putting more strain on it. Or I would imagine that even a tuned car with the OEM pump would still strain the module more than a non tuned car with an OEM pump.
This certainly sounds reasonable.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Well, look what I found in my car, a stock original - EKPM3!
E0F932B9-1B09-4AD4-92C0-AE986FC35938.jpeg

JFYI - my car is:
Production Month: 04/2008
Production Code: VD53

Funny, I assumed I had the previous version. So now it looks like I don’t need that new EKPM3 module I just purchased from FCPEuro and will try changing the fuel pressure sensors first. :)

Doh!

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
@Jeffman and everyone following. I corrected my above post.

UPDATING THE ZB # IN WINKFP ACTUALLY DID NOT CHANGE ANY OF THE FSW PSW. SETTINGS. I SIMPLY MUST HAVE MADE A HUMAN ERROR IN THINKING THAT, WHEN I WAS GETTING MYSELF BACK UP TO SPEED WITH CODING.

Here is where it gets weird. When I installed the replacement module and then coded in winkfp to the update zb # and got 72 psi this was actually with the FSW PSW settings that came with the module. If the ebay ad was correct the module came from a 328i.

I have since coded the replacement module with NCS Expert to match the FSW PSW settings that came with my car. Now I unfortunately still have similar behavior that I had before but not as bad. Before I my lpfp psi was dipping into the 40's at idle after the car was fully warmed up and in the upper RPMs under WOT.

Now (with car's FSW PSW) settings my lpfp psi idles around 60 psi upon cold start and slowly as the car warms up settles around 50 psi. Under WOT as soon as I nail the gas the pressure spikes to as high as 80 and declines to around 60 psi (a couple of dips into the high 50's) in the higher RPMs. The WOT throttle behavior is similar with the FSW PSW settings that came with the module. Log below (car's FSW PSW settings).

I guess I'm going to stop obsessing over the idle psi being that the behavior under WOT is what's more important. This situation is less than ideal but I'm going to leave the FSW PSW that came with my car on the replacement module as I don't know what all those settings mean and obviously the module should operate with the correct settings for my particular car.

https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/3-wot-ekp-cars-nettodat-full-gear-pulls-one?log=2&data=3-14-23

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@Jeffman and everyone following. I corrected my above post.

UPDATING THE ZB # IN WINKFP ACTUALLY DID NOT CHANGE ANY OF THE FSW PSW. SETTINGS. I SIMPLY MUST HAVE MADE A HUMAN ERROR IN THINKING THAT, WHEN I WAS GETTING MYSELF BACK UP TO SPEED WITH CODING.

Here is where it gets weird. When I installed the replacement module and then coded in winkfp to the update zb # and got 72 psi this was actually with the FSW PSW settings that came with the module. If the ebay ad was correct the module came from a 328i.

I have since coded the replacement module with NCS Expert to match the FSW PSW settings that came with my car. Now I unfortunately still have similar behavior that I had before but not as bad. Before I my lpfp psi was dipping into the 40's at idle after the car was fully warmed up and in the upper RPMs under WOT.

Now (with car's FSW PSW) settings my lpfp psi idles around 60 psi upon cold start and slowly as the car warms up settles around 50 psi. Under WOT as soon as I nail the gas the pressure spikes to as high as 80 and declines to around 60 psi (a couple of dips into the high 50's) in the higher RPMs. The WOT throttle behavior is similar with the FSW PSW settings that came with the module. Log below (car's FSW PSW settings).

I guess I'm going to stop obsessing over the idle psi being that the behavior under WOT is what's more important. This situation is less than ideal but I'm going to leave the FSW PSW that came with my car on the replacement module as I don't know what all those settings mean and obviously the module should operate with the correct settings for my particular car.

https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/3-wot-ekp-cars-nettodat-full-gear-pulls-one?log=2&data=3-14-23
Thanks for the update.
I typically see similar response as you do.
https://datazap.me/u/jeffman/flex-fuel-v12-e56-82f-4th-gear-pulls?log=1&data=2-9-17-20
LPFP pressures are pretty good during WOT but then dip when just iding/cruising. I drive around with a constant 2AAF code which comes right back on after clearing codes with MHD. Who knows, maybe it’s a weird adaptation. I think I’m gonna ignore it for now and work on some other things, like maintenance (flushing and cleaning brakes, flushing radiator, replacing thrust arm bushings, etc.) and finally, FINALLY installing my PR coils now that I got the upgraded connectors and wire/boots. :)

Reactions: mfish123

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thanks for the update.
I typically see similar response as you do.
https://datazap.me/u/jeffman/flex-fuel-v12-e56-82f-4th-gear-pulls?log=1&data=2-9-17-20
LPFP pressures are pretty good during WOT but then dip when just iding/cruising. I drive around with a constant 2AAF code which comes right back on after clearing codes with MHD. Who knows, maybe it’s a weird adaptation. I think I’m gonna ignore it for now and work on some other things, like maintenance (flushing and cleaning brakes, flushing radiator, replacing thrust arm bushings, etc.) and finally, FINALLY installing my PR coils now that I got the upgraded connectors and wire/boots. :)

Just so you know, I had PR Stage 2 for three years and never went under 650. It idled at over 700 always...around 720.
Now I have stage 3 with Hobbs switch and same thing. So I know the pumps are not an issue. So I believe the codes that I get 2aaf like you are just annoyances and don't mean anything.

There was one time last month after installing the Ethanol Motiv kit and MHD options that I tested the MHD reset fuel option after fueling up with ethanol...that put my car in to limp mode and the HPFP - brand spanking new, simply shut down and I had to pull over and restart. After restart it was fine and never happened again. So...DON'T reset fuel in MHD or you may get the same issue. Just let the system detect the fuel type and octane organically, don't force it.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
I too have constant 2aaf that comes back quickly after clearing codes. I tend to ignore it too and I've heard it's pretty common and that per the BMW TSB it essentially should be taken with a grain of salt.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
@Jeffman - I've noticed aroudn the same time I started having the low low pressure psi that my gas mileage got worse (at least if I'm to believe what the car reports). I'm tuned for max safe power probably at the expense of gas mileage which is intentional. My mileage was always crappy, around 15.5 mpg (I do mostly city driving). Now it's hovering between 13 - 14 mpg. Did you notice the same thing?

Also, over the weekend I got a 2F92 code and reduced engine power which is something new. When I restarted the car the reduced power and check engine light went away but when I scan for codes with Mhd it's still present. Maybe this issue we're facing is indicative of a hpfp on it's way out?

I'm going to call the dealer and attempt to get a new hpfp under the 10 year /120K extended warranty available in the US.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@Jeffman - I've noticed aroudn the same time I started having the low low pressure psi that my gas mileage got worse (at least if I'm to believe what the car reports). I'm tuned for max safe power probably at the expense of gas mileage which is intentional. My mileage was always crappy, around 15.5 mpg (I do mostly city driving). Now it's hovering between 13 - 14 mpg. Did you notice the same thing?

Also, over the weekend I got a 2F92 code and reduced engine power which is something new. When I restarted the car the reduced power and check engine light went away but when I scan for codes with Mhd it's still present. Maybe this issue we're facing is indicative of a hpfp on it's way out?

I'm going to call the dealer and attempt to get a new hpfp under the 10 year /120K extended warranty available in the US.
@mfish123 My gas mileage has been crappy ever since I got the Cobb Accessport ~8 years ago. 12-14 mpg city is typical for me. Luckily I’ve never had a 2F92 code.