Snelson3003

Sergeant
Nov 7, 2016
Denver
www.nelsonracingwheel.com
Ride
2010 BMW 135i
Hey Guys,

Some of you may know this already or this maybe the first you have heard: Using a Fuel-It! Stage 2 Pump requests a larger amount of draw from the PWM system to modulate fuel flow in tank to pressurize the HPFP. This is the EKP module that does this based upon PWM, load and RPM.

The issues i've seen pop up now that the Stage 2 pumps (doesn't seem to affect stage 3 pumps) is that the EKP overheats due to the added draw of a Walbro 450 pump. Causing many driving issues like a crashing LPFP which takes out the HPFP and causes a misfire. The only fix is to replace the EKP module with a new one (virgin module $250) or buy a used one off eBay ($50).

I did this recently and was told i would need to reprogram the EKP module or the car wont start. I installed mine and it started just fine! LPFP reading used to be 67 and now rests at 72-76 sometimes. Great!

BUT now I have over-fueling issue upon throttle tip in at WOT, which causes the AFR's to run super rich then super lean as the HPFP dives then stabilizes. . URGH!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO REPROGRAM THE EKP MODULE? OR HAVE ANY INSIGHT? I attached a log as well to show the lean spike and HPFP crash but recovers.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Attachments

• 2016-11-10 20_47_22 lean spike.csv
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,004
Reactions: fredcase

mkster08

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Kansas
Sypmtoms you guys were having with lpf sensor? My car will sputter and die just cruising on the highway , not very often but I'll get the fuel pump plausibility code, fuel pressures low and high are perfectly fine even while it happens.. Sound like its the sensor? Btw I have also seen the lpfp hit over 100 psi before

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
No, looks like he default coded EKP but NCS noticed it should have EKP2 but then noticed it had EKP3.
He coded it as an EKP3 with his car's VO.

I been watching this over and over and I don't see that he coded it with v.3 at any point. Can you point out where you are talking about? I have to do with in a week and wanted to get familiar with the coding. Also, I am coding a virgin brand new ekpm3 unit so I might have to first code the vin, zB number onto the module before I code the Vehicle Order onto it as he is doing in the video.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did I read correctly that you can NJ increase voltage via programming the ekpm3 module? Just accessed my module and it is a version 3. Brand new version 3 will be installed today and wanted to double check that I could increase voltage via coding. If so how much to recommend if working with stage 3 from precision Raceworks?

Vt

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I got a new ekpm3 module from fcp euro, I Installed and coded and it made zero difference in error code. I replaced hpfp and both fuel sensors and the error went away. FYI.

2009 N54 E93 stage 3 lpfp precision raceworks.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I got a new ekpm3 module from fcp euro, I Installed and coded and it made zero difference in error code. I replaced hpfp and both fuel sensors and the error went away. FYI.

2009 N54 E93 stage 3 lpfp precision raceworks.

Out of curiosity, which error were you having? I didn't see you mention that unless I missed it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Typical common fuel pump plausibility fault.

I'm getting some fuel pump codes also... I'm hoping that the problem is my HPFP. Sometimes my car just dies when I leave the driveway, but it never long cranks and it is fine in higher RPM, until it dives down to 1000 psi and stays there.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm getting some fuel pump codes also... I'm hoping that the problem is my HPFP. Sometimes my car just dies when I leave the driveway, but it never long cranks and it is fine in higher RPM, until it dives down to 1000 psi and stays there.

If you got a 2009, then you have a ekpm3. Don't bother replacing it. Just replace hpfp, both lpfp sensor and hpfp sensor and be done with it. I can almost guarantee that it's the pump and sensors. Replace the hpfp and sensors and don't look back.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve got a 2008. With my Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP I now regularly get the 2AAF Fuel Pump plausibility error.
My fuel pressures are also quite low now, starts off in the 60s and drops to the 50s. I even saw 40s cruising on the highway yesterday. I got a new LPFP Sensor but since mine’s a March 2008 build perhaps I also need the newer EKPM3 module?
132CCE80-1F06-406A-ACEE-58E5EB7C773D.jpeg

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I’ve got a 2008. With my Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP I now regularly get the 2AAF Fuel Pump plausibility error.
My fuel pressures are also quite low now, starts off in the 60s and drops to the 50s. I even saw 40s cruising on the highway yesterday. I got a now LPFP Sensor but since mine’s a March 2008 build perhaps I also need the newer EKPM3 module?
View attachment 14653

You only need the newer version if you don't have it. If you already have it, then replace both fuel pressure sensors.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i xdrive E90 Sedan
I literally have the exact same issue as jeffman.

My low pressure psi drops from the 60's to the 40's as the car warms up - and this is at idle and when cruising. At WOT it initially recovers when my turbos spool up but then throughout the pull the psi is lower than it should be. The odd thing is at WOT my rail pressure is pretty solid. And this is all happening just running 93 octane.

I just replaced the fuel pressure sensor on Monday and that didn't help. My fuel-it stage 2 pump only has about 30K miles on it.

I reset the adaptations per this tutorial which didn't help either: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx6brmnn1ykjrdv/resetting adaptions.pdf?dl=0

Only difference is I have a 2009 so I should already have an Ekpm3.

I just ordered a used EKPM3 and will put that one in and code to my car. I also just ordered a stage 2 bucketless pump and will try that too.

Any other suggestions to minimize how many parts I throw at it??

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I literally have the exact same issue as jeffman.

My low pressure psi drops from the 60's to the 40's as the car warms up - and this is at idle and when cruising. At WOT it initially recovers when my turbos spool up but then throughout the pull the psi is lower than it should be. The odd thing is at WOT my rail pressure is pretty solid. And this is all happening just running 93 octane.

I just replaced the fuel pressure sensor on Monday and that didn't help. My fuel-it stage 2 pump only has about 30K miles on it.

I reset the adaptations per this tutorial which didn't help either: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx6brmnn1ykjrdv/resetting adaptions.pdf?dl=0

Only difference is I have a 2009 so I should already have an Ekpm3.

I just ordered a used EKPM3 and will put that one in and code to my car. I also just ordered a stage 2 bucketless pump and will try that too.

Any other suggestions to minimize how many parts I throw at it??

Did you replace BOTH sensors?

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
Did you replace BOTH sensors?

I only replaced the low pressure sensor, not the high pressure sensor. I do see that you're pretty adamant about replacing both sensors.

I obviously don't know everything or I wouldn't be posting here but my high pump sensor seems to behaving as expected. Previous owner of my car did get a new hpfp under the recall but I don't remember when that was - could have been 5 - 7 years ago, maybe around 50K miles ago.

Are you just giving general advice as far as replacing both sensors, advice based on your personal experience or is there something about the particular issue that I posted that leads you to believe both sensors should be replaced?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I only replaced the low pressure sensor, not the high pressure sensor. I do see that you're pretty adamant about replacing both sensors.

I obviously don't know everything or I wouldn't be posting here but my high pump sensor seems to behaving as expected. Previous owner of my car did get a new hpfp under the recall but I don't remember when that was - could have been 5 - 7 years ago, maybe around 50K miles ago.

Are you just giving general advice as far as replacing both sensors, advice based on your personal experience or is there something about the particular issue that I posted that leads you to believe both sensors should be replaced?

The sensors affect each other directly. If one is off the other will not get correct readings. Yes this is from real experience, multiple cars.

If you had an ekpm3 unit already it won't help to replace it. And if your high and low pressure pumps are new then you need to replace both sensors. That is normal best practice. It makes no sense to replave pumps and ignore the sensors and risk getting incorrect readings. That has potential to lead to BIG problems with engine.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
The sensors affect each other directly. If one is off the other will not get correct readings. Yes this is from real experience, multiple cars.

If you had an ekpm3 unit already it won't help to replace it. And if your high and low pressure pumps are new then you need to replace both sensors. That is normal best practice. It makes no sense to replave pumps and ignore the sensors and risk getting incorrect readings. That has potential to lead to BIG problems with engine.

I'll also add that I always have an active (not shadow) 2AAF code. Comes back extremely quickly after clearing it.

I just replaced the high pressure fuel sensor (low pressure was replaced earlier this week). Both are genuine BMW straight from the dealership. And I reset the recommended adaptations via INPA that Fuel-it recommends.

Unfortunately I still have the exact same behavior.

Just to recap my hpfp was replaced by the previous owner, maybe 50K miles ago. My Fuel-it stage 2 bucket pump has about 30K on it.

I received a Fuel-it stage 2 bucket less pump and used EKPM3 in the mail today and will install each separately over this weekend and report back.

If I had to bet I'm thinking its the pump since, although its' weird that my pressure is so low at idle, the low pressure psi does drop more and more as I approach redline under WOT. I admittedly sometimes don't fuel up until my tank is close to empty and I've heard walboro's aren't know for longevity.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'll also add that I always have an active (not shadow) 2AAF code. Comes back extremely quickly after clearing it.

I just replaced the high pressure fuel sensor (low pressure was replaced earlier this week). Both are genuine BMW straight from the dealership. And I reset the recommended adaptations via INPA that Fuel-it recommends.

Unfortunately I still have the exact same behavior.

Just to recap my hpfp was replaced by the previous owner, maybe 50K miles ago. My Fuel-it stage 2 bucket pump has about 30K on it.

I received a Fuel-it stage 2 bucket less pump and used EKPM3 in the mail today and will install each separately over this weekend and report back.

If I had to bet I'm thinking its the pump since, although its' weird that my pressure is so low at idle, the low pressure psi does drop more and more as I approach redline under WOT. I admittedly sometimes don't fuel up until my tank is close to empty and I've heard walboro's aren't know for longevity.

I have replaced my hpfp 3x. I have 110k miles. Each time both sensors are replaced. The last replacement was twon months ago with fcp euro so i don't have to pay for another one ever again.