Servotronic on a 335i

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Got it out. Probably could've skipped all the disassembly now that I know how the harness disconnects. Pops right off when you slide its clip off similar to like how the injector harness works on the n55 dme.

Can you verify which repair kit you ordered? I had two pins laying around from an ambient temp sensor harness repair kit but they turned out to be just a hair too small. They dont slip into the harness right. Going to have to order up some new ones that are the right size.

Anything I know is out of my brain and in this thread. Else it's lost :)

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Anything I know is out of my brain and in this thread. Else it's lost :)

Maybe azn will reply. I've been googling for a while now and I cant find the actual size anywhere. I think the leads that came with the ambient sensor were these: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...ntact-with-wire-lead-priced-each/61130005199/

That's based purely on looks. Says its .2-.5mm. They make the same leads in various sizes that all look the same: https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Bushing_Contact_With_Wire/

Anyone know the connector size? I feel like what I have is correct but they weren't clicking into the harness.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
If anyone ever figures out what the connector part number is please share. I had an engine harness sitting around and none of the connectors I pulled out of the various plugs were the correct one.

So, I cheated.

Attachments

• 20200102_193720.jpg
    20200102_193720.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200102_193639.jpg
    20200102_193639.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 68

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If anyone ever figures out what the connector part number is please share. I had an engine harness sitting around and none of the connectors I pulled out of the various plugs were the correct one.

So, I cheated.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
So my 2011 135i shows as jbbfe3R.c40 in ncsexpert. Not sure if servo is working or not. I have 315s on the front. Car kind of felt the same. Might need to get a volt meter on the rack plug end to see if its getting power.

I added $216 to the vo and saved it to cas and nfrm modules. Then coded car. Then sent blank man files to kombi and jbbf. I then read them and everything referenced in this thread was still showing as not active, surprisingly. I went into kombi and set the 3 lines to active manually. Then went into jbbf and set servotronic_fentil to active as well. Oh and I added a 10amp fuse to #5...

What's the easiest way to test if servo is actually working? Was it immediatly apparent to everyone?

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
So my 2011 135i shows as jbbfe3R.c40 in ncsexpert. Not sure if servo is working or not. I have 315s on the front. Car kind of felt the same. Might need to get a volt meter on the rack plug end to see if its getting power.

I added $216 to the vo and saved it to cas and nfrm modules. Then coded car. Then sent blank man files to kombi and jbbf. I then read them and everything referenced in this thread was still showing as not active, surprisingly. I went into kombi and set the 3 lines to active manually. Then went into jbbf and set servotronic_fentil to active as well. Oh and I added a 10amp fuse to #5...

What's the easiest way to test if servo is actually working? Was it immediatly apparent to everyone?

with 315 i doubt it will help much especially with the weak ps pump... you can try flipping the polarity and see if it makes any difference

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
with 315 i doubt it will help much especially with the weak ps pump... you can try flipping the polarity and see if it makes any difference

Yeah I was thinking maybe I wired it up wrong. I followed the pics posted here. 5 = negative (brown/white) 6 = positive (black/white). I'll check for voltage at the positive connector I guess and go from there. Thanks for the help. This was not as difficult as all these threads made it seem. Pretty straightforward retrofit outside of re-pinning the connector.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Yeah I was thinking maybe I wired it up wrong. I followed the pics posted here. 5 = negative (brown/white) 6 = positive (black/white). I'll check for voltage at the positive connector I guess and go from there. Thanks for the help. This was not as difficult as all these threads made it seem. Pretty straightforward retrofit outside of re-pinning the connector.

well the easiest way to test would be flipping the polarity and see if the steering becomes heavier

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
Hi Guys,

I will be tackling the swap shortly.. i have the M3 rack, new tie rods the cables needed but an 07 car :(

I have however acquired a JB3 from an E92. am i correct tin assuming i can plug this in, get it coded to my car and i will be able to activate the servetronic with some additional coding?

Did anyone actually test this after this was suggested earlier in the thread?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Hi Guys,

I will be tackling the swap shortly.. i have the M3 rack, new tie rods the cables needed but an 07 car :(

I have however acquired a JB3 from an E92. am i correct tin assuming i can plug this in, get it coded to my car and i will be able to activate the servetronic with some additional coding?

Did anyone actually test this after this was suggested earlier in the thread?

i posted the part number compatibility...if it matches then in theory it should work..

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
i posted the part number compatibility...if it matches then in theory it should work..
ahhh cool, so i take it you never tested it out?

There seem to be so many variations on p/n on the 3 kinds of JBF that i just ordered a cheap one for £30 to see if it would work!

NfiftyMORE

Feb 3, 2020
It’s great to see people dedicated to making this a reality. I’m ready to make the swap to an m3 rack, I’m on an 07 so I’m assuming I’d need the JBBF3 module as well to make servotronic work. Is there any sort of step-by-step for the coding?

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
So its in, its wired up as mentioned in this thread and i have a JBBFE3

I just need someone to code servtronic and code the JBBFE3 if i plug it in.. any recommendations?

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
So its in, its wired up as mentioned in this thread and i have a JBBFE3

I just need someone to code servtronic and code the JBBFE3 if i plug it in.. any recommendations?

DIY specifically for servotronic is not necessary. Google in general how to modify the VO and to change things using NCS dummy. Once you find a good video just follow the same steps but use the coding provided in this thread.

With that being said, I am still not convinced mine is even working lol

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
I'm more worried about codding the new JBBFE3 as that is well out of my skill level.. i have done CIC and combox though so i think coding the servtronic is in my capability

Reactions: Bnks334

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
DIY specifically for servotronic is not necessary. Google in general how to modify the VO and to change things using NCS dummy. Once you find a good video just follow the same steps but use the coding provided in this thread.

With that being said, I am still not convinced mine is even working lol

do you know what exactly i need to do coding wise as im going to attempt this myself. Im just not sure what i need to do?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
ahhh cool, so i take it you never tested it out?

There seem to be so many variations on p/n on the 3 kinds of JBF that i just ordered a cheap one for £30 to see if it would work!

many moons ago i made a list of compatible jbbfe3 but it disappeared...
anyways, the easiest way i know of is, go look in the daten files...

open all the definition files highlighted in the green box below, you should see the hardware part numbers of jbbfe3 that has servotronics
go to realoem, type in your current jbbfe2 part number, check the compatible hardware part numbers
cross match both lists and you should end up with one that works without any rewiring or fusebox replacement

jbbf-png.png

do you know what exactly i need to do coding wise as im going to attempt this myself. Im just not sure what i need to do?

flash the jbbfe3 module with winkfp first then read coding from jbbfe, enable with ncsdummy, write coding
hope it works

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
many moons ago i made a list of compatible jbbfe3 but it disappeared...
anyways, the easiest way i know of is, go look in the daten files...

open all the definition files highlighted in the green box below, you should see the hardware part numbers of jbbfe3 that has servotronics
go to realoem, type in your current jbbfe2 part number, check the compatible hardware part numbers
cross match both lists and you should end up with one that works without any rewiring or fusebox replacement

View attachment 36237

flash the jbbfe3 module with winkfp first then read coding from jbbfe, enable with ncsdummy, write coding
hope it works

So i tried to code the JBBFE3 using WINKFP in the car and it will not work.. gives me errors..
It will however code the original JBBFE, im goign to order a JBBFE2 and see if that will works, if not im at aloss as how to get the JBBFE2/3 to work in my JBBFE equiped car.

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
Further to the above, i have seen this online, does this mean the JBBFE2/3 wont work on my JBBFE car 🤷‍♂️

Basically it comes down to this:
There are these 3 variations
jbbf81, which is K-line (cars older than march 2007) also knows as JBE
jbbf70, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE2
jbbfr3, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE3

Reactions: doublespaces