Servotronic on a 335i

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
IT WORKS!!!!

After bit of research i confirmed my ODB plug was wired for D-CAN as its an early 07. Meaning it looks like the below;

AC30F203-15B6-4A1A-88F4-FE8EEB6A5935.png

So it was never going to flash in WinkFP. So i found the wiring diagram for a K-CAN car as below;

CD420516-F76B-4670-840F-7574FF47F50B.png

I ran a new cable from pin 17 on the JBBFE3 plug to pin six on the ODB plug, i then swapped pin 7 on the ODB to pin 14.

Success!! it flashed with WinkFP.. so i coded the VO, activated the JBFFE for servtronic and the 3 things in the KOMBI as mentioned bellow;

67F20016-8B0F-4AEC-9C52-9DD6993B2900.png

Then took her out at for a spin with a noitcable difference in the feel of the steering rack.. happy is an understatement!

So yes it can be donw and activated on a JBBFE Car with either a JBBFE2 or JBBFE3 and some amendments to the OBD wiring

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
IT WORKS!!!!

After bit of research i confirmed my ODB plug was wired for D-CAN as its an early 07. Meaning it looks like the below;
Then took her out at for a spin with a noitcable difference in the feel of the steering rack.. happy is an understatement!

So yes it can be donw and activated on a JBBFE Car with either a JBBFE2 or JBBFE3 and some amendments to the OBD wiring

congrats! glad you finally got it to work...maybe i should take a look at this again...

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
congrats! glad you finally got it to work...maybe i should take a look at this again...
Whats your issue getting it working? Do you have the old JBBFE like me?

I currently have a spare JBBFE2 i ordered ans didnt need in the end

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Whats your issue getting it working? Do you have the old JBBFE like me?

I currently have a spare JBBFE2 i ordered ans didnt need in the end

yep...im running a jbbfe2 but my car is wired with d-can already. i am too cheap to buy a jbbfe3 so i left it as is

1587221398029.png

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
ok i am sort of in the market for a jbbf3 that supports servotronics

easiest way to do this without rewiring the car in theory....go to realoem
search for your car by serial number

search junction box
1590954079710.png

go inside and select the actual box
1590954058398.png

you will get a huge list of jbbf boxes that are compatible with your car
1590954126346.png

take the last 7 digits of the part number, cross reference it to the list i have attached
the list is compiled from winkfp daten files from zb numbers and hw numbers

i have prepared some excel formulas to do the vlookups but you will need to format the compatiblity list to suit if you want it to look up stuff
might be easier if you do it manually....take the last 7 digits of all the compatiblie part number and look it up

snipplet of my compatible list and which version of jbbf its corresponding to
1590954273537.png

JBBFR3 are the ones you want in theory

i have a euro rhd e92 6mt 07.06 build date, my stock module is a JBBF81 and it doesnt have the servotronic option in the definition files
me_module.png

edit: just saw a deal too cheap to pass on so i bought it
1590955306738.png

Attachments

• servotronic compatiblity list.xlsx
    25.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Rage and houtan

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Further to the above, i have seen this online, does this mean the JBBFE2/3 wont work on my JBBFE car 🤷‍♂️

Basically it comes down to this:
There are these 3 variations
jbbf81, which is K-line (cars older than march 2007) also knows as JBE
jbbf70, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE2
jbbfr3, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE3

IT WORKS!!!!

from my research, there are 3 wiring variants with regards to k-line/d-can for e8x/e9x cars as far as i can trace
the wiring changes matches up with the fuse box assembly as well

the older k-line jbbf is pre march 2007
there is a transition period with a mix of k-line and d-can in between march 2007 and september 2007
the new d-can jbbf is post september 2007

unfortunately i fall in the "in between" section (my car is june 2007) so i will have to test it out....
i will be very annoyed if the compatible jbbf i ordered doesn't have the servotronic parameter.....

Jul 30, 2018
Ride
N54
@AzNdevil hello, thank you for sharing informations. Please can you post part numbers for all harnes which you need to connect steering rack with jbbf3 module. 4 years ago i convert 135i n54 to oem 1m body and complete front and rear e92 m3 subframe including m3 lsd,m3 steering rack, m4 brakes... if i manage to connect and code the servotronic it would be really fantastic. Thank you all for sharing the information.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
ok so i got my new jbbf3 module
replaced it and it works without servotronics....however, i still cant activate it....

throws activation codes... ignore the frm short circuit error, my headlights are shorted but i cant be bothered to fix it yet
for the guys that got it to work, did you have to add any fuses to your fusebox? if yes, where did you add the fuse?
also, what is your car build date? and do you have a performance steering wheel (the one with LEDs) or heated steering?

IMG_20200620_011423.jpg

IMG_20200620_010441.jpg

i am trying to chase whether i am missing a fuse and where it should be connected to
from newtis, cars with build dates after 2007/07, power to F05 is connected between KL15 and the steering column sensor plug X10171
this plug doesnt even exist on my car or a car i know is built in 2009/10 newtis, but both cars don't have cruise control or heated steering wheels

1592854513120.png

1592854555843.png

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Where did you find these curves? Are they in the NCS Dummy definitions?

yep, but dont remember if it exists in all the definitions though... its been a while

edit: found it in the original post
jbbfeii.c06/07 -- servotronic enable
c09/0a - servotronic enable + servo characteristic map in different modes (normal/sport)

• Informative
Reactions: carabuser

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
yep, but dont remember if it exists in all the definitions though... its been a while

edit: found it in the original post
jbbfeii.c06/07 -- servotronic enable
c09/0a - servotronic enable + servo characteristic map in different modes (normal/sport)

Good find. Do you know how to work out the relevant .cXX naming of the different modules?
My thinking is that each ZB number has a .cXX equivalent but I can't find any link between them. I've been digging in the .000 text files that come with the DATEN files but not come up with a lookup table yet.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I've figured out how to tell what the car currently has using INPA though. In the module identification table there is a column labelled "CoI". Convert that value from decimal to hex and that is the .cXX extension. For example my EKP module has 19 in the CoI column which is 13 in hex and my EKP module is EKPM60.C13.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I've figured out how to tell what the car currently has using INPA though. In the module identification table there is a column labelled "CoI". Convert that value from decimal to hex and that is the .cXX extension. For example my EKP module has 19 in the CoI column which is 13 in hex and my EKP module is EKPM60.C13.

which file are you referring to?

now that i come to think of it, i remembered this post...
1592910358016.png

cross reference it to the 1M compatibility list
1592911318655.png

jbbfeii that are newer than 07 march and the highlighted ones should be jbbfeii.c09/0a
1592911438311.png

unfortunately i cross checked the list with my car's compatibility list and none of them matched
most likely due to different fusebox altogether...

Last edited:

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
which file are you referring to?

now that i come to think of it, i remembered this post...
View attachment 39811

cross reference it to the 1M compatibility list
View attachment 39813

jbbfeii that are newer than 07 march and the highlighted ones should be jbbfeii.c09/0a
View attachment 39814

unfortunately i cross checked the list with my car's compatibility list and none of them matched
most likely due to different fusebox altogether...

I was referring to the extension after the module name that you see in NCSDummy in the module selection window. You can see here, after each module there is a .CXX extension.
It's possible to kind of work out what's going on between variants by reading the options in each one and also by reading the .000 files in the DATEN folder but there must be a link somewhere between the software numbers (ZB) and the configuration numbers. Like you mentioned above with the jbbfeii modue, c06/07 have servotronic and c09/0a have servotronic and the options to configure it.

Capture.JPG

I have EPS in my car so can't follow along with the modding here. I've ordered a spare EPS rack though so I can start to mess with the coding more. I think there's overlaps with the steering assist on both systems as EPS also has a servotronic option S216 which makes the steering feather light when parking and heavier at speed.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I was referring to the extension after the module name that you see in NCSDummy in the module selection window. You can see here, after each module there is a .CXX extension.
It's possible to kind of work out what's going on between variants by reading the options in each one and also by reading the .000 files in the DATEN folder but there must be a link somewhere between the software numbers (ZB) and the configuration numbers. Like you mentioned above with the jbbfeii modue, c06/07 have servotronic and c09/0a have servotronic and the options to configure it.

View attachment 39815

I have EPS in my car so can't follow along with the modding here. I've ordered a spare EPS rack though so I can start to mess with the coding more. I think there's overlaps with the steering assist on both systems as EPS also has a servotronic option S216 which makes the steering feather light when parking and heavier at speed.

well..if we need to manually choose in ncsdummy then... the definition thats used by the jbbf might be coded on itself instead and retrieved when ncsexpert grabs the info...

since we dont know what jbbf other people are running, its hard to tell but i do wonder if the signal is the same between EPS and the M3 servotronic motor...
just wondering, what build date is your car?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
2009/03

To enable or disable servotronic on a car with EPS you just need to change the variant coding in the module. It wasn't an option in the UK but I tried it out briefly to see what it was like and then went back to normal steering.

miller335i

Private
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i e90 2007
wHAT FUSES DO YOU NEED TO ADD THE THE FUSE BOX AFTER THE WIRING IS CONNECTED TO THE jbbf? The coding is active and the wires are attached.

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
2009/03

To enable or disable servotronic on a car with EPS you just need to change the variant coding in the module. It wasn't an option in the UK but I tried it out briefly to see what it was like and then went back to normal steering.

thanks, did you add/remove any fuses to get the EPS to work? and...do you have a fuse in F05?

i am trying to narrow down why it isnt working from different angles...

1 - missing fuse/wiring/power to jbbf (i am on a different fusebox so i might not even have that wired in from factory)
2 - jbbf doesnt have servotronics control (just because its in the definition file, doesnt mean it will work for sure)
3 - my servotronics motor is unplugged/dead (i dunno, never worked and it has been 3-4 years since i messed with it so...)