Review: Turner Motorsport 60A Engine Mounts

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
So did you go with the VTT inserts? If so, how did that go? I almost pulled the trigger on the Turner mounts but that seems like a bad idea for my track 135i...although it is an N55 (single turbo) vice N54.

I have a set of inserts and a Contego mount with an insert already installed if you are interested. Can make a for sale post.

AndyW

Private
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2012 BMW 135i
I have a set of inserts and a Contego mount with an insert already installed if you are interested. Can make a for sale post.

Thx. So did you try them and remove them? I was following your install in some other posts.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Thx. So did you try them and remove them? I was following your install in some other posts.

Yeah, it just wasn't for me. I went back to stock... I've been reverting quite a bit of poly and other mounts to rubber... The rare times I drive the car I don't want to FEEL EVERYTHING.

The car is becoming a track car rather quickly, so who knows if I want 'more feel' in the future...

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Yeah, it just wasn't for me. I went back to stock... I've been reverting quite a bit of poly and other mounts to rubber... The rare times I drive the car I don't want to FEEL EVERYTHING.

The car is becoming a track car rather quickly, so who knows if I want 'more feel' in the future...
Not wanting to be able to feel anything and moving towards track driving are two goals that do not unite this side of active motormounts.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Not wanting to be able to feel anything and moving towards track driving are two goals that do not unite this side of active motormounts.

lol, I know.

I wasn't able to feel much more connected to the car with the mounts. I've had upgraded motor mounts on my previous VR6 GTI and it was wonderful. With the N54 I don't feel like I am gaining any perception with what the car is doing, at least with the DCT. A manual or auto car might fare better?

My brain wasn't 'enhanced' with the mounts.

The other areas I have been removing poly from are suspension points. I changed to rubber for strut mounts.
The diff mounts are poly and... its... interesting.

Experimentation. I think we all find what we like with our cars after trying things out. Some people enjoy certain upgrades and others go in different directions. :)

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
lol, I know.

I wasn't able to feel much more connected to the car with the mounts. I've had upgraded motor mounts on my previous VR6 GTI and it was wonderful. With the N54 I don't feel like I am gaining any perception with what the car is doing, at least with the DCT. A manual or auto car might fare better?

My brain wasn't 'enhanced' with the mounts.

The other areas I have been removing poly from are suspension points. I changed to rubber for strut mounts.
The diff mounts are poly and... its... interesting.

Experimentation. I think we all find what we like with our cars after trying things out. Some people enjoy certain upgrades and others go in different directions. :)

imo...the vtt inserts is the only working solution but its also only better than nothing just like subframe bushing inserts
performance wise they are no where close to PU mounts before they start melting...

i totally agree some upgrades arent really for street use hence the need for experimentation is required
i have upgraded most of suspension stuff to solid/spherical (minus trailing arm and rear top shock mount), the car really feels direct but.....
as a 99% spirited drive/street car, it does take away compliance that rubber provides.... and triggering traction control in dtc mode in 4th/5th gear is not fun

Reactions: derekgates