Regarding xHP's Statement about the 5 series

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
So,

Out of curiosity because, I know that it was mentioned in the manual even by xHP. The 5 Series comes with a "Sport" auto that basically makes the needle instantly jump to the RPM the engine is at which is why they have something in the FAQ stating:

Q: I installed the Stage 3 Map on my vehicle, but it’s still not shifting as quick as seen in some Youtube Videos!

A: You very likely refer to videos with a 5-Series car with Sport Automatic Option. BMW uses
the same transmission on these cars, but they trick human perception by changing the behavior of the rev-counter.Dampening is removed and the needle jumps instantly to the target value, before the shift of the transmission is even completed. The shift itself is in fact slower compared to xHP Stage 3 Maps

Do we have any coding KOMBI experts in here that know of anyway to mimic this?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So.. this isn't a 5 series but, the needle is still faster than most videos I've seen with people running xHP

From what I've seen, the more power you put down the slower the shifts are. Comparing cars with transmissions/valvebodies of different health and power levels seems to be pointless, since there are so many variables involved.

I'm planning on doing a back to back with the stock, stage 1, 2 and 3 xHP files shortly.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
From what I've seen, the more power you put down the slower the shifts are. Comparing cars with transmissions/valvebodies of different health and power levels seems to be pointless, since there are so many variables involved.

I'm planning on doing a back to back with the stock, stage 1, 2 and 3 xHP files shortly.

You should also datalog a good pull in each one making sure that you match the situations as close as possible just to see how it affects the cars behavior.

Also, if you're on the Alpina flash already then you'll love stage 3 comparatively. Imagine all the good of the B3 flash with more aggression, drive is actually really fun, and sport is about the same but, has higher rpm gear changes, manual mode... Oh manual mode.. it's so crisp, fast, and makes you want to do some bad things on a nice back road (;

Can't wait to see it either way!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You should also datalog a good pull in each one making sure that you match the situations as close as possible just to see how it affects the cars behavior.

Also, if you're on the Alpina flash already then you'll love stage 3 comparatively. Imagine all the good of the B3 flash with more aggression, drive is actually really fun, and sport is about the same but, has higher rpm gear changes, manual mode... Oh manual mode.. it's so crisp, fast, and makes you want to do some bad things on a nice back road (;

Can't wait to see it either way!

I just intend on doing a 1,2,3 gear pull most likely. Anything else would be hard to replicate in a back to back or side by side.

BIGOLTTS

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
NC
Any guys with an e60 with any real world testing done yet? Would love to flash the transmission as alpina has never been an option on the e60. I have the SAT mentioned above though and lcan't seem to find any info from people that have flashed xhp on their e60 yet.

Mark.O

Jun 25, 2017
Ride
E60 535D @ 422BHP/830Nm
Any guys with an e60 with any real world testing done yet? Would love to flash the transmission as alpina has never been an option on the e60. I have the SAT mentioned above though and lcan't seem to find any info from people that have flashed xhp on their e60 yet.

I have flashed xHP stages 2 and 3 to my transmission. I'm in the UK with a 535D. I did not have the SAT option as standard, I began to retrofit the parts but I'm still missing the wheel. I installed the stick and ECU with the sport button. Before the trans flash, if I pressed the sport button I'd get stiffer steering and that's it. No changes to the box behaviour because I hadn't flashed the correct software to the box. After installing xHP pressing the sport button gives me stiff steering and it holds gears longer as a car with SAT should. It's like its almost added the code for it. It's a very fast change and the rev match on the down shift with stage 3 is awesome. I do get slightly faster shifts when not at full throttle though. They are violent enough to make a small jolt go through the car as it throws itself into the next gear.

RayBan

Corporal
Oct 27, 2016
www.rbttuning.com

You can just take the feedbacks from the 1 or 3-Series guys. (although there are running a lot of 535i already) The hardware is 100% the same. The flashes from us are "SAT-prepared" meaning they will work on SAT and non-SAT cars.

The needle trick is a handshake between TCU and ECU and thats the reason it does not work on all cars. But it's really just an optical feature and has no effect whatsoever on the shifts itself. It works in the SAT cars and all N55 cars, but not on the early MSD80 335i cars and the 3-Series Diesel.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
You can just take the feedbacks from the 1 or 3-Series guys. (although there are running a lot of 535i already) The hardware is 100% the same. The flashes from us are "SAT-prepared" meaning they will work on SAT and non-SAT cars.

The needle trick is a handshake between TCU and ECU and thats the reason it does not work on all cars. But it's really just an optical feature and has no effect whatsoever on the shifts itself. It works in the SAT cars and all N55 cars, but not on the early MSD80 335i cars and the 3-Series Diesel.

I understand that, I was just curious about the "handshake" overall if that could be a mimic of the effects.

Obstinaterain

Feb 1, 2020

I’ve had the Stage 3 done on E60 530d with a 295bhp/620nm amp already on it, and I can confirm the gearchanges are quicker. Much quicker. Still smooth but much crisper, and it o longer unnecessarily downshifts when accelerating unless I want it to, which means its using the extra torque instead of revving up to outside of the max torque range