Possible Injector Leak?

LeoGr

Jan 6, 2020
Ride
e87 135i Swap
Hi,

recently i noticed, that my bank 1 AFR will not go fully lean after mild throttle or coasting immediately. When i am on full throttle and let off, both banks immediately show 234,95 AFR.
I got 6 index 12 injectors, a brand new valve cover and an upgraded RB PCV valve.

I logged some drives and got one where the problem is very persistent: https://datazap.me/u/leo-gr/possible-injector-leak?log=0&data=3-14-15-22
In this log there are some full throttle, partial throttle and just coasting parts, LTFT and STFT are also logged.

Is one of my bank 1 injectors or my front turbo leaking? I tried to check INPA, but my version cant read the adaption values. Maybe i will find another version with more options for the MSD81.

I am on MHD Stage 2+

Thanks in advance

LeoGr

Jan 6, 2020
Ride
e87 135i Swap
Yeah, alredy read that thread a couple times, thats why i came up with the idea that my front turbo is leaking?
But vice versa to me, his AFR are alright when hes staying out of boost. In addition, i also replaced my valve cover recently (around 3000km).

I dont have much experience with this platform, but i think that my LTFT and STFT look good and this is no injector issue?!

While replacing the valvecover, i noticed that my vent hose is very brittle. Could a leak in the vent hose be responsible for this type of problem?

-15-7-553-949-SF-Genuine-BMW-Crankcase-Vent-Hose-1.jpg

edit: of course no burble tune :)

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There is no way the flapper valve is causing the issue as it goes into the rear inlet and both turbos feed into one hotside pipe mixing the turbos outputs together.

Either a slightly leaking injector, one cylinder is using a little extra oil, slightly leaking valve stem seal or faulty o2.

Unless you have issues I wouldnt worry to much until it gets worse and it will be easier to find the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeoGr

LeoGr

Jan 6, 2020
Ride
e87 135i Swap
No issues here, car starts, idles and drives great.

Im only worried about engine damage because of a leaking injector. This engine is swapped in an e87, which im often using for a drift or trackday event in addition to some regular driving on nice days.

Next time i am driving this car, ill check the plugs!

Reactions: martymil

LeoGr

Jan 6, 2020
Ride
e87 135i Swap
Maybe someone is interested, problem was a leaking front turbo. Turbo actually had no axial shaft play but was leaking when the oil temperature was getting hotter than 65°C. This messed up my AFRs and resulted in some smoke after low load driving.

I got new hybrid turbos and the problem is gone!

Reactions: Salo and martymil