New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
According to Spool, about 20 days til official release.
Price wise, you're looking at just under 900 for the unit. Not exactly plug and play as some voltage tuning for HPFP need to be adjusted, but i'm sure there will be an option for it in MHD soon.

900 for a unit that requires a hpfp??? Wow. If this platform was new I could see that being ok, but considering how old this platform is people will stick with PI and call it a day. $400 to $500 sounds more reasonable, if they cant get it there these will sell as fast as watching turtles race a 1/4 mile.

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr and Vitan

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
900 for a unit that requires a hpfp??? Wow. If this platform was new I could see that being ok, but considering how old this platform is people will stick with PI and call it a day. $400 to $500 sounds more reasonable, if they cant get it there these will sell as fast as watching turtles race a 1/4 mile.

I'd much rather pay that much for this product and not have a completely separate system to add to increase number of failure points and add difficulty to diagnostic/repair.

The fact that this platform at this age still gets all this attention and innovation is amazing in and of itself. I'll take what I can get price wise for continued progress. If there wasn't incentive for profit the company wouldn't be making the product. If it comes in cheaper, great. If it doesn't, still worth while.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Single barrel requires a HPFP too if you decide to get a new one and it's $800.

There's a market for the Helix just like there is a market for the single and double barrel and PI. Spool has already sold a decent amount of these and it's not even released. Hell, my shop has half a dozen on the way....all already sold.

This is especially great for those that have to pass emissions and are subjective to visual inspections.

Reactions: typedRew

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Lets start here for fun:

If you could name the power figure you'd love to make on full DI E85, what number would make you happy?

1400. Let's match the street Supras on port injection and everyone will be raving for DI.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I'd much rather pay that much for this product and not have a completely separate system to add to increase number of failure points and add difficulty to diagnostic/repair.

The fact that this platform at this age still gets all this attention and innovation is amazing in and of itself. I'll take what I can get price wise for continued progress. If there wasn't incentive for profit the company wouldn't be making the product. If it comes in cheaper, great. If it doesn't, still worth while.

Port injection has its flaws but it also has its benefits. For one your dealing with injectors not fuel pumps so if your hpfp kicks from over driving it your stranded. With port Injection with a jb4 you can run the car if your hpfp craps out on you and drive home with port injection without having to pay for a tow.

They both have their flaws, but your still overpowering the stock hpfp which will fail. It's the reason why they created a separate unit instead of one, they dont want to be held accountable for the pumps when they fail after 10k or 30k miles ect... VTT pumps are also overpriced which is why port injection is on 90% of the n54s upgraded. The biggest benefit with port injection is the time you save/money you save from doing less walnut blasting since the fuel will clean the valves and $600 for a new hpfp.

Last edited:

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Lot's of build paths, the price on these is more than fair. Personally I don't want the added complexity of running a JB4 or AIC to run PI. This is a 30 minute install and a reflash. My best bud is being the guinea pig for us and he has one coming. We both have E9X N55's and this along with the PS2 should make us more than happy.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I thought we were still able to drive with a bad hpfp just in limp mode... That's why BMW made the injectors so big in the first place

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

That is what is fun. Given the 1st N54s were sold in 2006 this makes the platform 13+ years old. There are still new products released almost monthly which is unheard of on almost any other platform I have been apart of. There is still a good deal of money to be made by the N54/N55 vendors.

As far as the price goes. It sounds fair. You have to pay to play. Obviously we would all like things to be less expensive. If anyone thinks they can build a HPFP solution for less money have at it and make bank.

works

Private
Mar 1, 2018
Ride
135i
It'll be interesting to know how far the "software uncorck" of the HPFP will take the stock/stage1 folks that want to run full E85 and if this is needed from S2+ or single onwards.

I really, really want to run full E85 with stage1 twins and make at least the same that I'm now making with E45.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I thought we were still able to drive with a bad hpfp just in limp mode... That's why BMW made the injectors so big in the first place

Yes you can, I had my 335 hpfp fail drove it home on lpfp pressure of 72psi in limp mode with no issue but you cant drive it over 1/4 throttle.

I just turned my hazards on and drove home nice and steady.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I would have expected Spool to release some pricing, not sure why they haven't yet. I will say it's on par with what the single barrel is currently priced at.

Because you get people that will attack you for announcing pricing for a product when its not ready to ship. You know how it is, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Especially from the one-way street people that think they can spew whatever bullshit they want, and that it is only the vendors that need to be magnanimous.

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Especially from the one-way street people that think they can spew whatever bullshit they want, and that it is only the vendors that need to be magnanimous.

Filippo

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
This product is worth every penny if it is reliable and can deliver a good incremental amount of additional fuel. I don't think it will be an issue but it also can't be destroying pumps every 5k miles. I don't want to abuse the FCP Euro lifetime warranty to pay for multiple pumps either.

If it does what it claims and is reliable it will be a real game changer for this platform. It won't assist much in breaking HP or timeslip records but it will make upgrading turbos much easier and more cost effective. This is the only choice for XI owners like me who don't want to deal with PI so that only adds to the demand and willingness to pay.

I have high hopes but am very much looking forward to hearing more info from the beta testers. I wonder what this thing can do running 100 octane and meth.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
This product is worth every penny if it is reliable and can deliver a good incremental amount of additional fuel. I don't think it will be an issue but it also can't be destroying pumps every 5k miles. I don't want to abuse the FCP Euro lifetime warranty to pay for multiple pumps either.

If it does what it claims and is reliable it will be a real game changer for this platform. It won't assist much in breaking HP or timeslip records but it will make upgrading turbos much easier and more cost effective. This is the only choice for XI owners like me who don't want to deal with PI so that only adds to the demand and willingness to pay.

I have high hopes but am very much looking forward to hearing more info from the beta testers. I wonder what this thing can do running 100 octane and meth.

I'm pretty sure fcp euro is smarter than people think. They might replace the first few failed ones but they will eventually stop honoring the warranty when they realize these were abused 4x worse than a stock car could have normally abused them by opening them up and examining them.

If your planning to buy this setup and expect fcp to cover for your failures from running the pump 4x it's normal rate your 1) a scammer expecting other people to pay for your abuse 2) If they do end up replacing at least 2 pumps your now over 1k mark and at risk for a felony, that is if FCP decides to take this seriously. Theres always a possabilty they just wont care. I definitly wouldnt buy spools device thinking that you wont ever pay for another HPFP simply because you think FCP will be your savior, thinking that way will cost you more in the end.

As for longevity the OEM pumps on average last between 50k to 100k from what ive seen online, some worse some better. So running them 4x faster the normal speed would wear them down 4x faster, so this would yield between 12.5k miles to 25k miles a pump which doesnt seem like much, but lets also say the average pump lasts 150k then you would only get between 25k to 37.5k miles a pump. If you can get 30k out of a pump that is running 4x as fast as it was designed I'd say your doing great. Definitly dont expect 50 to 100k from this.

This is also exactly why spool created this device as a separate system to prevent anyone from blaming them when the users break their pumps. Your buying an overspining device, not the actual pumps which means that you cant ever claim spools product is bad because the pump failed. I can already see the early complaints come flying in by those users who will add this to their car with an oem pump already at 100k miles. Those cars might not even last 5k to 10k miles runing after the install. Then again if you drive like our grandparrents then your probably good either way.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive

The design looks pretty cool. I'd prefer it to match the block though that way it at least blends in lol, but cosmetics are the least of anyone's concerns with this.

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but does it also need shorter fuel lines since the pump sticks out further?