2007 335i e92 6MT
N54 having LPFP spikes over 110psi!

2007 335i e92
Fuel-it stage 3 LPFP
550 cc PI
AIC2
Motiv- FF sensor
Running e85

In the process of tuning my car, noticed the LPFP pressure was all over the place, dropping below 40 and spikes over 100psi, so I decided to replace the following:

HPFP ( FCP lifetime warranty so why not)
HPFP sensor
LPFP sensor
Both LPFP filters
Driver side tank filter/ regulator tank
Removed and blocked off the stock FPR
Install an external FPR
Replaced the EKP ( used on from Ebay, coded with protool)

Pressure doesnt drop as lowe as before but still like crazy spikes! Tuner is working with me on this, giving me above and beyond support. He lowered the boost target so we can how things behave and I don't need help on analyzing anything in the log, but I wanted to put it out here and see if anyone has ever experienced the same issue with the LPFP spikes.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
Your fuel pressure is significantly better on the log you did with the vacuum line disconnected. With that connected it is trying to increase your fuel pressure by the equivalent of your manifold pressure which we don't want in our platform. I'd say issue solved at this point.

The fluctuations you're seeing is simply the column of fuel in the line between the regulator and HPFP stopping and starting as the HPFP utilizes it. Not really hurting anything. If it bothered you, you could add a fuel pressure damper.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It actually wont hurt anything mechanically but will make your ekp run real hot and possibly overheat due to it working real hard to control
the lpfp rail.

I actually turned the fuel pump fix off on my ekp with a 535lph pump and its not throwing the error.

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
It actually wont hurt anything mechanically but will make your ekp run real hot and possibly overheat due to it working real hard to control
the lpfp rail.

I actually turned the fuel pump fix off on my ekp with a 535lph pump and its not throwing the error.

Got it. How do you go about turning off the fuel pump fix? Is that something I can do with Protool? I’ll try it out

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I wouldn't turn it off unless you got the spikes under control and yes it can be turned of using protocols only if you turned it on.

Its the spikes that make it run hot trying to control the fuel pressure from spiking.

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
the lpfp rail.

I'm going to be doing a stage 2 pump imminently and already bought a new ekpm3. the bigger pump isn't burning it out? I was worried about it with a 450 but if I can go bigger I'd rather do this job once and be good.

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
I wouldn't turn it off unless you got the spikes under control and yes it can be turned of using protocols only if you turned it on.

Its the spikes that make it run hot trying to control the fuel pressure from spiking.

I believe I read in other thread that you got the BPM4 to replace the stock EKP, how did that work for you? Do you think it would help me here?

I am still running the EKPM2, I see some people “upgrading” to the EKPM3, not sure what is an upgrade

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I dont run the bpm4 any more as I have no need for it , I replaced my stage 3 pump with a buckeless 535 with a 15x15 inch hydramat.

It has all the flow I need for my setup.

If your upgrading from an ekp2 don't waste your time and go directly to the bpm4 especially if your still chasing power or building your car.

The ekp3 can handle a single pump no issues and im no fan of the Hobbs switch.

Had the hobbs switch fail a number of times before I switched over to the bpm4.

A single buckless pump has far greater flow and will be more than adequate for 99% of peoples needs, bigger is not always better.

Reactions: b4llistic

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
Mount your lpfp sensor on the reg where you would normally run a fuel pressure gauge.

Got it!

Relocated the sensor to the FPR port, cleared up a lot. I still don't understand why most people don't have this issue.

The pressure is dropping some, but I assume its reasonable?Car is tuned down for troubleshooting so I will see how it goes now that I can more forward.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reactions: doublespaces

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Put the radium fuel pressure damper between the lpfp sensor and hpfp with no boost reference and it will halve the spikes again and almost eliminate them.

Then reset your adaptations.

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
Put the radium fuel pressure damper between the lpfp sensor and hpfp with no boost reference and it will halve the spikes again and almost eliminate them.

Then reset your adaptations.

Is that really necessary? The point of smoothing out this signal, even more, is simply to help the EKP have a longer life, correct? Or are there other benefits that come along with that?

Thanks.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Well the damper helps the ekp2 not work as hard so it will not heat up as much, the ekp3 is a much better
controller but it doesnt offer that much extra head room.

Basically it will run cooler so you have less chance of being stranded if it overheats without running one.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I dont know why but the graph was showing real bad swings when I first looked at it now its different, yeah that graph
looks fine but the damper will help.

Dont worry about the ekp judging from the latest one.

Reactions: alvinhobh

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
So guys if you want to smooth out your lpfp rail you really need this type of setup for our dead head system, if you already have a fpr and return line
relocate your lpfp sensor on to the fpr fuel pressure reference port

lpfp system.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Here is the inline damper you will need

FPD-XR base pressure requirement = 40 - 120psi (static) no boost reference needs to be connected.

Reactions: derekgates and RNM

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So @martymil am I understanding this correctly? The sensor sits right up behind the HPFP, which causes spikes read by the sensor. The sensor, being in close loop system controlling the LPFP, causes the EKPM3 to go nuts. So one way to solve it is to move the sensor and dampen the line, that way the everything plays nice with the algorithm (that does not account for this spike activity). Hypothetically, software that knew how to deal with these spikes would "dampen" the EKPM3 spike reactions. Which then leads me to the question - Z4 has no LPFP sensor ... and as best I know, the LPFP just runs. So in the Z4 case is this one of those, "if a tree falls in teh forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Filippo

Reactions: NoGuru

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
yep the z4 you don't have to worry about it as the ecu cant see the spikes but the BIG BUT if you put a damper on it it will help smooth out HPFP spikes, as the hpfp spikes have a direct correlation to lpfp ones.

They basically help one another.

Does anyone know the adapter fittings needed to get the stock LPFP sensor to a 1/8" NPT on the fuel pressure regulator?

Older sensors were 1/8" npt the newer ones are metric straight with an oring, I just use a bit of gas plumbers tape on it.

I think this is the fitting if you want to be anal

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli and noorj