N54 DME torque limits, torque tables and torque reporting discussion

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
What are you guys using on the L2T axis, stock? Someone mentioned 160/280 would someone show me what that looks like just so I'm 100% clear.
Replied on the other forum, but change the load break point tables as you want for all 3 L2T tables. I don't have TP handy for a screen. Stock breaks vary by rom family and DCTs can run significantly more than AT and especially AT Xi. XHP might've changed that though. I assume you have a ~200 load map and are having shift issues? Raising it that high is going to lower TQ actual significantly.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
For the record...

l2t_load_break.png

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The very easiest way to get around this 536Nm reported torque limit would be to take a look at somebody's DME map who is not experiencing the 536Nm limit.

I have stock turbos and a PD trans. But I had over 600nm back before I had the PD trans. Upgrade. During that time, the tuning was by Ken at Wedge. It was powerful but not stable. So after 12 tries I stopped and went elsewhere.

Now with the PD trans I get close to 600 like 2 nm off but I am also using OTS maps which seem to work better than Ken's custom maps that I paid extra for. Go figure. He created both maps and the custom one doesn't work and the OTS works fine.

Anyways I think it's most likely a tune related issue.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Interesting discussion here so far! I have been digging into a ton of torque stuff recently on the DME, and will be able to provide some help soon. Also, I'm 95% certain I am able to stop these torque related timing drops, and maybe even all the Tq. Lim Actives as well ;)

graveddigging an old thread, but did you ever figure this out? I still run into this even with XHP stage 3. Think it has something to do with xdrive or ije0s. I don't want to under-report torque, but that seems to be the only way to avoid it currently :/

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I believe that torque limit thing is TCU problem because I had that with 5th gear only and with the tcu flash It's gone. I assume you don't have XHP flash?? I do have an XDF file to bypass torque limits so that dme ignores those torque limits but I'm not sure how healthy it is. I used that well over year without a problem. Then XHP came along with increased limits so I don't have to use that method anymore.
I believe the problem with torque limit 4 is that 5th gear is limited to 460nm or something, don't remember exactly, and rest of the gears are limited to 600nm. So I took TestO logs from TCU and TCU sees maximum torque of 536nm with all the gears. So I bet that if you raise that 5th gear limit to 540nm in TCU bin you will never see torque limit 4 anymore.
To be clear I believe every early models of 335i are limited to see max 536nm from TCU side and that's why Alpina flash helped lots of people having all gears limited to 600nm.
I think changing load to torque tables affect torque values that are told to TCU.
I know AWD has some extra torque limiters but my experience is only from RWD.
I have scaled map too and I raised L2T values from 150 load up to about 50 %. Ihave dynoed the car with scaled map so I can look that 175 load is about 750nm(from the engine) with 23-24 Psi and make calculations for the L2T map to make it as accurate as possible

what xdf/settings were you using to ignore the torque limit request?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Anyone know what Torque Lim. Active = 1 code is all about? I just got one testing my new plugs on E27. xHP Stage 3. 2008 335xi.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
graveddigging an old thread, but did you ever figure this out? I still run into this even with XHP stage 3. Think it has something to do with xdrive or ije0s. I don't want to under-report torque, but that seems to be the only way to avoid it currently :/

Same here though xhp said that the load to torque tables should remain stock very recently - under reporting needed. ... Have you tried the 160/280 in the load to torque tables ?

Last edited:

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Same here though xhp said that the load to torque tables should remain stock very recently - under reporting needed. ... Have you tried the 160/280 in the load to torque tables ?

Actually I think the issue I was running into was knock related. I ended up using standard load to torque tables without any limiters coming up iirc. Waiting on some parts still as the knock was a lower rod bearing singing me the song of its people.