N54 DCT w/M3 Conversion

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
She liiiveesss!!!
20200307_021537.jpg

My shifter and button setup is pretty ghetto and ugly so I didn't even take a picture yet lol
But it drives! Definitely very different from the regular flash (135i dct not "is" in my case).
First impression is not having the awkward crawl that makes me feel like my clutches are gonna burn up is fantastic. Shifts on level 2 feel like shifts with my sport button previously pushed, so its firmer right out of the gate. Didn't try launch control or holding redline yet, babysteps. Shiftlogic 6 unlocks with dsc off and in "S" mode. Took a bit to get my coding figured out. The missed step in the pdf that I found and recalled from reading everything previously is changing the motorsport from 02 to 01 for the big gear display. My rpm had to be at 02 for me or I lost my tach.
Shifts definitely come in strong though they also make me want more power than my fbo n55 has right now lol
Definitely quick enough to rescue my poor drunken girlfriend from her night haha
I'll update more as I drive and experience, and especially as I finish the cosmetics. While I impatiently waited for filed to download, unzip, and copy, I managed to remove the trim brackets that the leather attaches to and I may not actually need any new stitching, just trim and glue.
I ordered the correct 6 pin MALE connector, unfortunately I'm cheap so it will be a while. Unlesssss my local bmwnorthwest has one i could snag and then cancel my order.
Bonus note: you can drive with the shiftlogic button unplugged (I didn't notice this previously mentioned), you're just stuck in whatever mode you were in. One of my mockup wires broke lol

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
She liiiveesss!!!
View attachment 35731
My shifter and button setup is pretty ghetto and ugly so I didn't even take a picture yet lol
But it drives! Definitely very different from the regular flash (135i dct not "is" in my case).
First impression is not having the awkward crawl that makes me feel like my clutches are gonna burn up is fantastic. Shifts on level 2 feel like shifts with my sport button previously pushed, so its firmer right out of the gate. Didn't try launch control or holding redline yet, babysteps. Shiftlogic 6 unlocks with dsc off and in "S" mode. Took a bit to get my coding figured out. The missed step in the pdf that I found and recalled from reading everything previously is changing the motorsport from 02 to 01 for the big gear display. My rpm had to be at 02 for me or I lost my tach.
Shifts definitely come in strong though they also make me want more power than my fbo n55 has right now lol
Definitely quick enough to rescue my poor drunken girlfriend from her night haha
I'll update more as I drive and experience, and especially as I finish the cosmetics. While I impatiently waited for filed to download, unzip, and copy, I managed to remove the trim brackets that the leather attaches to and I may not actually need any new stitching, just trim and glue.
I ordered the correct 6 pin MALE connector, unfortunately I'm cheap so it will be a while. Unlesssss my local bmwnorthwest has one i could snag and then cancel my order.
Bonus note: you can drive with the shiftlogic button unplugged (I didn't notice this previously mentioned), you're just stuck in whatever mode you were in. One of my mockup wires broke lol
What an accomplishment! It is a different beast putting this into a 1 series!

Yeah, the shift logic button isn’t a show stopper but sucks to be stuck in a level. Meh.

The lack of fake automatic creep mode is one of my favorite features and the big honkin “you are in this gear” display.

Oh I guess fast shifts are cool too. 😂

Congrats!!!!!

Reactions: azshantris

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Thank you!
I forgot I've also noticed my rev matching in downshifts appears to be... mostly absent. Seems more often it doesn't do it, which isn't a big deal just a little bummer. Unless they're just so fast there isn't time for a rev match, idk.
Also different when it comes to being used to 2 throttle maps and burble settings options. Now I've got no burble and I'm curious how MHD will interact with this. Besides cosmetics and enjoying it, a custom tune is probably my next step.

Reactions: houtan

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Thank you!
I forgot I've also noticed my rev matching in downshifts appears to be... mostly absent. Seems more often it doesn't do it, which isn't a big deal just a little bummer. Unless they're just so fast there isn't time for a rev match, idk.
Also different when it comes to being used to 2 throttle maps and burble settings options. Now I've got no burble and I'm curious how MHD will interact with this. Besides cosmetics and enjoying it, a custom tune is probably my next step.

hmm. Rev matching might be due to D2 you are stuck at. Does it feel like clutches are slipping? I hope you are in the 10% range of 3.15.... are you certain you have the GTS flash coded on the TCU?

MHD will not care. You should be able to reapply? You did not change your ROM? (Such as the 1M IKM0S?)

Reactions: Stokes

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
hmm. Rev matching might be due to D2 you are stuck at. Does it feel like clutches are slipping? I hope you are in the 10% range of 3.15.... are you certain you have the GTS flash coded on the TCU?

MHD will not care. You should be able to reapply? You did not change your ROM? (Such as the 1M IKM0S?)
I followed the pdf guide from this post so I'm pretty sure I've got the GTS. 7845773 ?

I'm not actually stuck at D2, I fixed the wire on the fly, my bad for not clarifying. I did notice getting them at a higher level but still only sometimes.

Hard to say on the clutches tbh but it didn't seem at all laggy or slippy. Even the kickdown grabs better, whereas before it took forever to grab and actually caused an overheat a couple times.
May just be something I need to get used to, and it's only been one drive so far.

Doing the math technically 2.835 would be the lower limit if subtracting 10% from 3.15. But @LMB335is has been using a 2.81 without issue for a couple years so I'm thinking it's ok. Maybe we have a 15% window?

Oh you know I wonder if it could be related to when off throttle in M cars it actually releases the clutch and goes neutral. I wasn't on the gas when downshifting. I'll definitely find some time to experiment over the weekend and of course being my daily I'll get plenty all the time haha

Gotta figure the best way to make the shiftlogic button fit. I've dremeled out enough for it to fit, but not actually stay or look pretty.

Reactions: doublespaces

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I think I saw somewhere someone glued some plastic underneath and used that as a kind of stand off for mounting the button. Think it was the Aussie guy with the single turbo 1 series hatch...

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
Well bad news... the connector I received for the ShiftLogic button is a female connector... just like the button 😔
Guess we'll see what I can rig up tonight, cause this is my daily lol
Just use the 6pon connector that goes to the AT shifter lights on the black trim with the gear indicator is the same.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I followed the pdf guide from this post so I'm pretty sure I've got the GTS. 7845773 ?

I'm not actually stuck at D2, I fixed the wire on the fly, my bad for not clarifying. I did notice getting them at a higher level but still only sometimes.

Hard to say on the clutches tbh but it didn't seem at all laggy or slippy. Even the kickdown grabs better, whereas before it took forever to grab and actually caused an overheat a couple times.
May just be something I need to get used to, and it's only been one drive so far.

Doing the math technically 2.835 would be the lower limit if subtracting 10% from 3.15. But @LMB335is has been using a 2.81 without issue for a couple years so I'm thinking it's ok. Maybe we have a 15% window?

Oh you know I wonder if it could be related to when off throttle in M cars it actually releases the clutch and goes neutral. I wasn't on the gas when downshifting. I'll definitely find some time to experiment over the weekend and of course being my daily I'll get plenty all the time haha

Gotta figure the best way to make the shiftlogic button fit. I've dremeled out enough for it to fit, but not actually stay or look pretty.

You bring up good points, sounds like normal behavior.

Agree on diff ratio being within tolerances of the software.

I also agree with the off throttle behavior that we aren't used to. I hope you figure that one out!

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Well I'm getting even closer to done! I'm definitely no seamstress so there's a fair chance I'll pay someone to redo the leather on the shift knob, but it looks decent enough for now... from a distance.
The shiftlogic button is literally just wedged in there with no connector on the backside and some wire wraps on the pins but it works lol
May try black hot glue or epoxy and then fine tune it into looking better, but not awful for now.
Welcome to my 2011 135i M GTS (?) Haha
Everything functions as is so I'm pretty happy.
When I finish the rest of the cosmetics and get more drive time in I'll do my own in depth write up to recap everything involved, and especially the specifics to the 1 series. Probably just start it as a build thread but with sub-titles or something.
Thanks so much to everyone that has helped along the way 😁
20200309_215334.jpg

Attachments

• 20200307_133427.jpg
    20200307_133427.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200309_175851.jpg
    20200309_175851.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: doublespaces

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Well I'm getting even closer to done! I'm definitely no seamstress so there's a fair chance I'll pay someone to redo the leather on the shift knob, but it looks decent enough for now... from a distance.
The shiftlogic button is literally just wedged in there with no connector on the backside and some wire wraps on the pins but it works lol
May try black hot glue or epoxy and then fine tune it into looking better, but not awful for now.
Welcome to my 2011 135i M GTS (?) Haha
Everything functions as is so I'm pretty happy.
When I finish the rest of the cosmetics and get more drive time in I'll do my own in depth write up to recap everything involved, and especially the specifics to the 1 series. Probably just start it as a build thread but with sub-titles or something.
Thanks so much to everyone that has helped along the way 😁

Hell yeah! Congrats!

If you can mount a camera in passenger seat, I'd love to see the car in action. :)

What about Sugru to fill that gap? https://sugru.com/ It is a moldable rubber that could easy remove that airgap.

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Hell yeah! Congrats!

If you can mount a camera in passenger seat, I'd love to see the car in action. :)

What about Sugru to fill that gap? https://sugru.com/ It is a moldable rubber that could easy remove that airgap.
Oh that stuff looks just about perfect! I'll have to see if I can find something like it on amazon.
I can definitely do something like that, I've got a gopro and some suction cups. The sunroof glass works pretty great for mounting too.
Hopefully I'll make my way to an autocross event one of these coming weekends to really try it out, though fair warning I am definitely an amateur.

Reactions: houtan

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Love to see success stories! If you have any details that you think are helpful feel free to post them.

Totally agree. I really love that this is in an n55 135i!! Thanks for sharing. Hope to do this One day if the using the stock 2.56 gets figured out.

Reactions: azshantris

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Totally agree. I really love that this is in an n55 135i!! Thanks for sharing. Hope to do this One day if the using the stock 2.56 gets figured out.

Oh wow, I derped on that aspect! Way cool.

After reading https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads...nd-spun-rod-bearings-accusump-installed.4034/ it seems like the N55 has more upgrade paths to fixing low oil situations compared to N54 due to oil pump differences. It's neat to have one with the M3 swap!

Excited to see videos or more photos... from anyone! I am excited for all of us that are able to do this. :)

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
Awesome that you are in the state! I am really wanting to do a meet up for us fellow FL area members. Cleetus and Cars is down South FL or meeting at a place like a theme park would be cool? Even meeting for Daytona 24 weekend (Jan 2021) would be fun. Worth a thought?

Not as crazy as you guys, but over on the right coast (Cape Canaveral) if you ever get over here. I've got rocket launches in my back yard though...

Reactions: derekgates

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
Hi. can someone give me the 335is dct part number for the rear support the one bolted to the tranny and the busshings not the one boltwd to the frame and the bushings. Thx u. I am trying to order one and i can get to find one. It is not the one like the at. The dct one has one side longuer . On real oem it shows. 22316796993 and 22116777904 to 2tc. But can soneone with the actual 335is or a e9x swap confirm with me. Thx