N54 DCT w/M3 Conversion

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Didn't you say you were close to LMB335is? Why not use the shop that he used?

Close is certainly subjective. ~450miles away is 'close'. I was trying to exhaust options in my area. If anyone has local options and wants to help my cause I can assist financially (including payment/incentive, of course) with anything you can throw at me or I can ship to the shop as long as they don't mind, I've even contemplated going with a custom driveshaft.

I was trying my best to get this project done before the end of March and our Tail of the Dragon cruise but it isn't looking good now. I have every bolt, bushing, fluid and part other than this damn driveshaft and I have all the measurements and spare shafts for this... I feel incredibly frustrated! It is minimal amount of work left as I've already gone through the GWS coding/fitment/testing (part of the original test team).

I welcome any help for this, trying to not throw in the towel. My area happens to be one of the worst for car modifications.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Close is certainly subjective. ~450miles away is 'close'. I was trying to exhaust options in my area. If anyone has local options and wants to help my cause I can assist financially (including payment/incentive, of course) with anything you can throw at me or I can ship to the shop as long as they don't mind, I've even contemplated going with a custom driveshaft.

I was trying my best to get this project done before the end of March and our Tail of the Dragon cruise but it isn't looking good now. I have every bolt, bushing, fluid and part other than this damn driveshaft and I have all the measurements and spare shafts for this... I feel incredibly frustrated! It is minimal amount of work left as I've already gone through the GWS coding/fitment/testing (part of the original test team).

I welcome any help for this, trying to not throw in the towel. My area happens to be one of the worst for car modifications.

PM me. It doesn't need to be this difficult.

Reactions: Illsic_Design

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Well, I kept searching around in the area and pinged this shop, ~1+hours away from me:

1582863924174.png

😲

If they don't respond tomorrow then I will certainly PM, @LMB335is ... Hopefully it is for a cluster instead of a driveshaft. I am certainly not trying to impose or abuse your graciousness that you have spread across the forums I see you on. :)

Attachments

• 1582863428643.png
    1582863428643.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: aus335iguy

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
Im come to destin often and im not sure u will b able to find any to do it around there. Just ship it out.
In my case i used the AT oem which is the same length as the 335is. And i use a 3.08 diff from an MT pre feb2007 and put my LSD i had on my AT 3.46 diff. Fitted like a charm.
Good luck. Just take a trip to tampa. 😉 occasion to meet someone that seems nice and may have good things for u.
Hope i will be moving to tampa back in jun2021 myself.

Attachments

• 20200221_141037.jpg
    20200221_141037.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200221_141025.jpg
    20200221_141025.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 38

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
Update 😁
Don't worry I haven't given up!
Got the M3 cluster installed. Definitely a huge pain in the a** sanding it to fit properly. I used a dremel and it took hours trying not to overdue it. Ended up fitting in without any screws by a nice click fit under the gauge hood.
20200224_180733.jpg20200224_180736.jpg20200224_195517.jpg20200225_170516.jpg
Been driving around stock trans flash with the 2.81 and car seems pretty normal. Made a trip from (roughly) Seattle to Portland, then to Seaside, and back up to Seattle area. Nearly 8 hours of driving 😅 but everything works great so far.
This coming weekend I should have time to get the GWS in and flash the M3 GTS software. I'll update again then.

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Update 😁
Don't worry I haven't given up!
Got the M3 cluster installed. Definitely a huge pain in the a** sanding it to fit properly. I used a dremel and it took hours trying not to overdue it. Ended up fitting in without any screws by a nice click fit under the gauge hood.
View attachment 35671View attachment 35672View attachment 35673View attachment 35674
Been driving around stock trans flash with the 2.81 and car seems pretty normal. Made a trip from (roughly) Seattle to Portland, then to Seaside, and back up to Seattle area. Nearly 8 hours of driving 😅 but everything works great so far.
This coming weekend I should have time to get the GWS in and flash the M3 GTS software. I'll update again then.

DEDICATION! That is incredible progress! Looking fantastic.

I am also loving that the 2.81 is working well for you. :)

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Im come to destin often and im not sure u will b able to find any to do it around there. Just ship it out.
In my case i used the AT oem which is the same length as the 335is. And i use a 3.08 diff from an MT pre feb2007 and put my LSD i had on my AT 3.46 diff. Fitted like a charm.
Good luck. Just take a trip to tampa. 😉 occasion to meet someone that seems nice and may have good things for u.
Hope i will be moving to tampa back in jun2021 myself.

Well jeez I missed this post.

I certainly gave in and shipped it to @LMB335is ... He is a saint and is helping me get it shortened from a local shop. At this point I've spent close to a custom DSS piece but I figure I can test it out with this setup, measure required lengths for DSS and sell the shaft for someone looking to do this mod. The final setup should be a custom unit, for sure.

It's cool that you found a work around! I actually used an AT/DCT OEM shaft for my shortening; I didn't even consider a 3.08 diff. From the start we all assumed the M3 rear was the ticket and I purchased items before the realization of variance being allowed. Anyway, that sounds like a great way to accomplish the goal!

Awesome that you are in the state! I am really wanting to do a meet up for us fellow FL area members. Cleetus and Cars is down South FL or meeting at a place like a theme park would be cool? Even meeting for Daytona 24 weekend (Jan 2021) would be fun. Worth a thought?

What is the status of your ride now? Got it fully dialed in?

If you decide to go custom, I know that @AUbeast86 knows who to go to and who not to go to

Yeah, I seemed to kick a bees nest of crazy posts in his thread... His post helped me understand how DSS approaches the custom driveshafts and it seems like DSS has learned from his experience and now understand what is entailed:

Thank you for reaching out to us. In your case, we would have to build a new shaft to fit your car. We do not shortened/balance driveshafts that we did not make ourselves. They most likely didn’t want to balance it because those driveshafts are very difficult to hold in a balancing machine due to the way they are made at each end. There’s no good way to hold them effectively.

We would make a shaft for you from end to end to fit your car directly. We have a custom request form you can fill out and we can make a detailed estimate for how much it would cost. Here is the link to it on our website.
https://www.driveshaftshop.com/custom-driveshaft

Time to get down to business 😘View attachment 35724

Nice one, what is involved with this part? Fitting to the 1 series trim only? (Does the GWS fit otherwise?)

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Nice one, what is involved with this part? Fitting to the 1 series trim only? (Does the GWS fit otherwise?)
So far as I understand everything is plug and play besides trim (and of course wiring repin). I'll have to dremel out the "sport" button hole and restich the leather from the triangle to the rectangle fit.
And of course to get the GWS out of the 1 series requires removing the entire center console, rip 🙃
But I just got that out and am about to unbolt the GWS 😁

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
So far as I understand everything is plug and play besides trim (and of course wiring repin). I'll have to dremel out the "sport" button hole and restich the leather from the triangle to the rectangle fit.
And of course to get the GWS out of the 1 series requires removing the entire center console, rip 🙃
But I just got that out and am about to unbolt the GWS 😁

Ah, kickass. Sounds pretty damn challenging but fun to watch! Godspeed

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Well bad news... the connector I received for the ShiftLogic button is a female connector... just like the button 😔
Guess we'll see what I can rig up tonight, cause this is my daily lol

Attachments

• 20200306_194544.jpg
    20200306_194544.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 28

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Well bad news... the connector I received for the ShiftLogic button is a female connector... just like the button 😔

hey look! it's what I did a couple years ago!

I ripped one off of the M3 harness I had in the garage... lol

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
hey look! it's what I did a couple years ago!

I ripped one off of the M3 harness I had in the garage... lol
Lucky, I'm tempted to pull the passenger power seat connector haha
Any idea if the car will drive with the button disconnected? At least with the GWS in the wiring can be done with the console back in.
I've got the GWS in the park cable comected, the 8pin connector done, and the park connector done. Just need the shiftlogic button and coding it think.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Nothing wrong with putting two female parts, let it ride!

• Informative
Reactions: aus335iguy

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Edit: Solved: Ran out of storage space 😅

Well I had to redownload the e89 sp daten to get my winkfp to boot but now it keeps crashing when I try to update winkfp "unable to find object" or something like that.
Good thing I have lots of cosmetic bits to do 😒
Any ideas? I open bmw coding tool, select my sp daten>e89 and it accepts. Then when j update winkfp it fails on line ci63f1

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Well I had to redownload the e89 sp daten to get my winkfp to boot but now it keeps crashing when I try to update winkfp "unable to find object" or something like that.
Good thing I have lots of cosmetic bits to do 😒
Any ideas? I open bmw coding tool, select my sp daten>e89 and it accepts. Then when j update winkfp it fails on line ci63f1
Are you using the coding tool to update your daten? If not I was advised to use that tool by @LMB335is and works a treat and makes it easy