My slow car finally gets less-slo, aka some turbos and new things

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
why hasnt anyone thought of stratified injection map anyways ? isnt that like the most efficient thing to do for turbo high comp cars? lol

Aye, I'm talking even more basic, the aic uses single injection mode for everybody right now. I was always just using the maps the PI companies included and tweaking for people. When I got it on my car I decided to set it all up bottom to top and that's where I found the oversight, confirmed when I was setup up an AIC2 for a local guy as well since there's no real base maps floating around. On PI it's really more related to even fuel distribution, when you use a single injection with 6 cylinders you never get it right. Some valves are open, some closed, and even worse some are closing so you get ?? amount of fuel into that cylinder. Stratified helps even out the fueling.

how are the AIC maps for DI? Think they could use any revision?

Always room to improve!

Lol at the AllData tsi service program, that thing was clutch before the internet. Need to get that MegaSquirt working on the N54 next I guess :joycat:
20191209_130945.jpg

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
So whats the goal for this build ? Roll race type ? 1/4 mile dig ?
And who the hell is going to tune it is the real question ?!

Goal is to restore my enjoyment with the car I suppose. Power wise looking for around 650 to 700, probably do as many events as I can find time for, no track days planned though. Tuning is up in the air still, it turns out I'm literally the worst ever at logging my own car. Not even kidding after the first day of logging I've just been winging it at 27psi. The few logs I looked at seemed fine and since then I just don't want to be bothered with my own logs lol. It's sort of a problem...

• Funny
Reactions: Itsbrokeagain

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Goal is to restore my enjoyment with the car I suppose. Power wise looking for around 650 to 700, probably do as many events as I can find time for, no track days planned though. Tuning is up in the air still, it turns out I'm literally the worst ever at logging my own car. Not even kidding after the first day of logging I've just been winging it at 27psi. The few logs I looked at seemed fine and since then I just don't want to be bothered with my own logs lol. It's sort of a problem...
Ok well, if you need some help......I may know a guy just waiting for him to respond to my emails, LMFAO !!

Reactions: V8bait

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
I have a set of those MMP GTX style turbos with the billet ball bearing centers, inlets, outlets, etc. Sitting in my garage if anyone is interested. They are brand new, never installed. I got them and then a deal came up on the single kit I originally wanted.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I have a set of those MMP GTX style turbos with the billet ball bearing centers, inlets, outlets, etc. Sitting in my garage if anyone is interested. They are brand new, never installed. I got them and then a deal came up on the single kit I originally wanted.

Has anyone ever installed those? There was a guy in SC I think that was supposed to be doing a big build with them, but never saw anything from it, then Mauricio kicked me from the MMP FB group.

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi

Its like the mechanic who fixes everyone elses car all nice and proper but half ass and ghetto rigs his own car together at the end of the day cuse he has no patience to work on it LOL

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Time for a small update. So far so good, have the new AIC PI maps pretty dialed in, car is running great and the clutch should be nice and broken in now. The motiv twin disc started out incredibly harsh but has gotten much better. It's still unpredictable in first gear if you're trying to drive nicely, but if you drive somewhat aggressively it's great. No power holding issues to around 28psi so far. My tires on the other hand disagree with the build but that's for another day.

So I got a new upgrade in the mail today worth sharing- an AEM TMAP sensor to run the PI from. @chrisdfv makes a great PnP harness for the sensor which threads into any aftermarket intake manifold and comes with adapters for factory plastic one as well. The reason for this should be pretty well known by this point but I'll elaborate some; if you are running PI off the normal TMAP sensor you're running your reference off pre- throttle boost. This isn't a great idea for two major reasons:
1) In overboost situations the throttle partially closes, so pre throttle will see more boost than manifold, causing more PI to inject
2) During shifts (6mt and occasionally 6at to lesser extent) when you lift, the throttle closes, in that short time before the bov opens you have a boost spike pre throttle yet vacuum in the manifold, so you bolus a nice bit of fuel that isn't supposed to be there.

Ultimately, this can lead to backfires and damage to things. Say you have a misfire (which can be caused by this) and a cylinder shuts off. You have excess fuel, and now fresh air in that cylinder. If you have enough overlap you can get some egr (or reversion, whatever) and ignition of that mix in the manifold. It's a nice way to grenade the plastic manifold and on the metal ones who knows what. Granted this is most common with NLS but has happened without it as well and has happened to 6at cars too. Moving the reference to the manifold helps address this with PI.

Chris @chrisdfv made this PnP for me and it's perfect. I may even play with using this sensor for the MAP (no temp sensing in it) and see how the car does too. If anybody running this sensor needs the AIC map adjusted I can share the changes no problem.

20191230_161052.jpg

He asked me to be brutal on the review so I did find one thing, he didn't start the stripping of the one wire you need to strip. So I couldn't just pull the plastic shroud off the wire. It added about 10 whole seconds to the install :dizzy:

Should be hitting the dyno soon after I get back from vacation at Midnite Tuning who I've been working with locally. See ya'll in the new year!

Last edited: