Motiv Flex Fuel Installation Guide

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Changed back to Vader Solutions BOV Adapter setup and problems went away. Tested again with BMS BOV adapter and car went apeshit. Would misfire and show o2 sensor temperature faults. Starts out ok, after 5 mins driving, spitfire, explosions in tail pipe and misfire. Test back and forth four times between BMS vs. Vader Manifold BOV kit. I don't think my car likes the BOV hose right at the throttle body at all...the ECU appears to be compensating fuel mixture for some reason and running ultra rich when BMS kit is used.
JFYI, I had purchased the Vader BOV adapter last year and never got around to installing it. Then I read about the BMS BOV adapter earlier this year and purchased it thinking it would be better. Then I read Matreyia’s comments comparing the two and decided to install the Vader adapter anyway...
Anybody want to buy one unused BMS BOV? :)

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Just do it right and tap the manifold in 2 minutes. Looks better anyways :p

@jyamona , is the ECA voltage directly related to the ethanol content or inversely related? I've been having some data logs lately that have the ethanol content vary up and down - never hitting 100% but going from 10% accurate to 18% spike, and then up and down a lot. I've confirmed my ground is good, but I'm going to redo it again just in case.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@langsbr It is directly related. Under what conditions are you seeing these variations? Steady cruising or WOT? Please post up one of the logs as well. Thanks!

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
The last log I did was WOT multi-gear. Sadly, I can't remember if I had DSC fully turned off on this - I wasn't really 'logging' just driving and my tires are not what I would call 'confidence inspiring' as far as grip goes. I also wasn't logging ECA voltage :(. I'll try and get some more today.

I uploaded my data log but I must be a dope because I can't figure out how the heck to embed it. @doublespaces is there something special I have to do to embed it? I see a ton of embed options, but nothing for datalog.

Hey, what do you know - I figured it out! A bit obtuse to upload the log, then have to copy the code and paste it. Wish there was an embed "datalog" option. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
The last log I did was WOT multi-gear. Sadly, I can't remember if I had DSC fully turned off on this - I wasn't really 'logging' just driving and my tires are not what I would call 'confidence inspiring' as far as grip goes. I also wasn't logging ECA voltage :(. I'll try and get some more today.

I've seen similar issues when there was ground noise on the same ground or even near the flex fuel ground. I gave it a new ground via one of the strut studs/nuts on the strut tower, and even sanded down the paint there to ensure a good ground. This has fixed the issue twice on some local cars I tuned

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I've seen similar issues when there was ground noise on the same ground or even near the flex fuel ground. I gave it a new ground via one of the strut studs/nuts on the strut tower, and even sanded down the paint there to ensure a good ground. This has fixed the issue twice on some local cars I tuned

Thanks for the feedback Noor! I am also working on revised wiring paths to perhaps get everything from the DME which should eliminate these issues on the couple cars it crops up on.

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
No problem, yeah I think that would definitely help. Even just a longer ground wire on the flex fuel module would be good.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I did as @noorj suggested and relocated the ground wire to the shock mounting bolt. I made sure it was bare metal for a good ground. Sadly, I still get what I would think are excessive fluctuations in ethanol content and voltage in a single gear WOT run.

D

Deleted member 2204

Do you have a Datazap link of your log?

I don't have these issues at all by the way. I have never seen it spike or vary more than one or two percent.

D

Deleted member 2204

It's working but i don't like it. The window is too small and i have the feeling the graphs do not correlate properly sometimes. I never understood why we needed it in the first place if we have a perfectly working universal Datazap used by everyone and which can be compared to other logs more easily.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It's working but i don't like it. The window is too small and i have the feeling the graphs do not correlate properly sometimes.

You can make the graph as wide as the screen.

I never understood why we needed it in the first place if we have a perfectly working universal Datazap used by everyone and which can be compared to other logs more easily.

Let me know if you have an actual question or suggestion. All I've seen you do is say you don't like it.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Now just be super careful with the next part - wiring the MHD module into the DME. If you’ve never messed around in there before look at some JB4 install videos to familiarize yourself. Also you may have to lengthen the ground wire.
Good luck!

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I used to run a proceed rev 2 back in the day. And I may or may not have had a poteniometer plugged into a couple of wires at one point.

It's all in the ecu box and wires are ran. Will do the pins another day, currently frying other fish.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
same here

In the log he provided above, it only changes by 1-2% during the pull. This could be from flow through the sensing element.

@langsbr do you use a windows PC? If yes, and you want to PM me your email I can send a test firmware or two to try and average the values over more time to smooth this out. The negative would be a slightly longer update time after filling the tank.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I wouldn't call what @langsbr is getting now "spikes" haha. It looks to have settled around 19.2% E at the end, and the highest it went was 21.2%. It just looks like more due to the graph scaling.