Ad: M18 Performance Cast Aluminum Valve Cover

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
where are your battery cables routed through? Are you worried about heat? I want to move those pieces of shit so I can look at my new VC as well.

Also, are you utilizing a PCV valve fitting on the new VC or just hardlining it to a catch can?

This tool has everything, highly recommend since it's the same price as a single BMW injector slide hammer.

I prefer the AGA tool, but it's a bit more.

My leads are ziptied to the strut bars, not worried about heat with the bottom mount :)

Catch can is currently just fed into the turbo inlet. Going to a pan evac off of both the -10s and the OEM flapper off of the front head port to regulate vac, and to vent if needed.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Pics for those of us who don’t social media?
Instagram_m18perf0rmance_69348582_371268096882985_3238880405360871444_n.jpg
Instagram_m18perf0rmance_67812528_827306527665642_4415479848730920369_n.jpg

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
DO we know what the thread size is for the AN fittings at the back ? is it 1/2NPT ?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Update- gasket is blowing out everywhere on Vc. Anyone else having that happen?
What torque setting and sequence did you use? Did you ever go back and re-torque? Do the valve cover screws have sleeves like the oem screws? If all torqued correctly and no sleeves on hardware, seems like the gaskets could be compressing unevenly/incorrectly. Do you know where specifically it is blowing out?

Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
What torque setting and sequence did you use? Did you ever go back and re-torque? Do the valve cover screws have sleeves like the oem screws? If all torqued correctly and no sleeves on hardware, seems like the gaskets could be compressing unevenly/incorrectly. Do you know where specifically it is blowing out?

I used the same torque sequence as i did on the last 3 oem covers ive installed. It was posted awhile ago on another forum. Torqued to whatever the recommended rating is, i honestly forget. Drove the car to heat cycle then checked all screws again. Gasket is blowing out all over but its not currently leaking. If it doesnt leak, im not touching it. If it starts leaking ill honestly put the oem style cover back on.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I used the same torque sequence as i did on the last 3 oem covers ive installed. It was posted awhile ago on another forum. Torqued to whatever the recommended rating is, i honestly forget. Drove the car to heat cycle then checked all screws again. Gasket is blowing out all over but its not currently leaking. If it doesnt leak, im not touching it. If it starts leaking ill honestly put the oem style cover back on.
Does the aluminum cover have the standoffs on the bottom like the oem cover does? I haven’t seen a good image of the bottom of the aluminum one. If the gasket is not seeing the same levels of compression as with the oem cover, I could easily see this being/becoming a common problem with the oem gasket.

Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
Does the aluminum cover have the standoffs on the bottom like the oem cover does? I haven’t seen a good image of the bottom of the aluminum one. If the gasket is not seeing the same levels of compression as with the oem cover, I could easily see this being/becoming a common problem with the oem gasket.

It does not, i kind of wondered why they didnt have it match oem like that. To me it should fit exactly like oem. The only thing we needed was to delete all those pcv ports internally.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
It does not, i kind of wondered why they didnt have it match oem like that. To me it should fit exactly like oem. The only thing we needed was to delete all those pcv ports internally.
The lack of standoffs to set height and gasket compression would be squarely where I would put my money. I have a feeling this will be a common problem on these valve covers.

Easiest and quickest fix would be to drill out all of the mounting holes the add sleeves like on the oem bolts and let the torque clamp Down on the sleeves, like oem, and therefore also set the correct CV to head gap for gasket compression.

• Agree
Reactions: SJ_1989
Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
The lack of standoffs to set height and gasket compression would be squarely where I would put my money. I have a feeling this will be a common problem on these valve covers.

Easiest and quickest fix would be to drill out all of the mounting holes the add sleeves like on the oem bolts and let the torque clamp Down on the sleeves, like oem, and therefore also set the correct CV to head gap for gasket compression.

Yeah i mean im no engineer but im not sure swapping those oem sleeved bolts would secure it properly...over tighten or under tighten?. Im also not interested in finding out lol. Rather throw a oem cover back on and be done.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Yeah i mean im no engineer but im not sure swapping those oem sleeved bolts would secure it properly...over tighten or under tighten?. Im also not interested in finding out lol. Rather throw a oem cover back on and be done.
I’m not a design engineer, but the oem screw sleeves act as crush washers and prevent the plastic oem cover being drawn down onto the head beyond a certain point. That height was certainly “engineered” and the only reasons for that would be to prevent cracking of the plastic cover and to ensure a very specific amount of compression on the gasket. Too little clamping and air would pass between the gasket and the head. Too much and the gasket will squeeze out, also allowing air to pass between the gasket and the head. This is the reason why I suspect oem screws and sleeves would likely solve the problem. Adding weld and remachining in addition to the sleeved screws would be best imo, but would be much more involved and unattainable for most owners.

Reactions: Idratherbesurfing