How to move car around with no wheels?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I live just outside of Detroit MI, and I do not drive my 335IS in the Winter. I have a two car garage and usually just park it as close to the wall as possible.

This year I wanted to be able to remove the wheels and still get it close to the wall, problem is I am not smart enough to figure out how. My jack handle is probably 4' long, but I can jack at a slight angle and with about two feet or room, but it's a PITA.
I am betting there are some people around here that have great solutions to a simple problem.

So let's here your solutions to make this happen?

1599568940325.png

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
They make car wheel dollies so you can 'slide' the car into a tight spot but you still need wheels on the car.

I guess I don't see why you need to remove the wheels? Are you worried about flat spots or something?

Just buy some crap rims and tires wheels?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
They make car wheel dollies so you can 'slide' the car into a tight spot but you still need wheels on the car.

I guess I don't see why you need to remove the wheels? Are you worried about flat spots or something?

Just buy some crap rims and tires wheels?
Yeah Wheels dollies won't work for obvious reasons.

I want to remove the wheels for a few reason, I like to clean and ceramic coat them, I like to work on the car throughout the winter and often need the wheels off.
Also I want to store them in my basement.
Cheap wheels won't work if I need to remove them and can't....

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Throw it up on jack stands then?

Taking a rim off is pretty damn quick with or without an impact. Why not get 4 beater rims and throw those on dollies. Roll it away and roll it out when you want to work on the car? Then jack, insert jack stand, remove wheel(s)?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I see what you are saying, keep it on shit wheels on the dollies, then if I need to get to suspension I can still move it and then put it on stands.
That could work, only down side I see is keeping 4 shit wheels around without the wife asking why I have so much car shit :)

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Getting cheap wheels makes having dollies probably obsolete. Except you can´t park close to the wall without them.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I see what you are saying, keep it on shit wheels on the dollies, then if I need to get to suspension I can still move it and then put it on stands.
That could work, only down side I see is keeping 4 shit wheels around without the wife asking why I have so much car shit :)
the idea of getting four more wheels is the best for me.
we imagine that you find or manufacture four carts .... what do you do with them when you no longer need them? it will take up a lot more space and your wife will not be happy ;)

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
More effectively than a chassis dolly?
Dude that’s exactly what you want.
jack car up
Remove wheels
Sit car on dolly
Move it anywhere you like

Still say I’m MacGuyver 🤣

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Sorry Aus335iguy, maybe you are right, that might just be the way to go. I will dig into them deeper and see if they will fit my needs.

Okay you get a Macguyver 👍

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I would buy some 4x4s and 6 heavy duty casters. Bolt them together to make a dolly just wide enough to sit on the rocker panels. Bolt three casters per side. You can then just unbolt it all when not using it.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I would buy some 4x4s and 6 heavy duty casters. Bolt them together to make a dolly just wide enough to sit on the rocker panels. Bolt three casters per side. You can then just unbolt it all when not using it.
I like that Idea too. In the end I left it close to the wall and was still able to pull the wheels off. They went to the basement for ceramic coating.