Flash MSD81 DME e92 335i N54 with DCT to 335is

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi @doublespaces ill happily share the bin i created for IKM0S in the powerment of sharing knowledge.
PLease note this is an IKM0S bin, i just ported detail from the INA0S file over. (I tried just flashing the Z4 35is INA0S file to my car, but immediately got a Low Voltage Fuel Pump error for the EKP, this has to be due to the upgraded LPFP they have stock, this is why i decided to combine the best of both into the IKM0S bin.

Please see the attached:

Please give feedback, im really still learning the tuning side, and am still a bit hesitant to make major changes and i dont fully understand it all. (Using V8Baits tuning guide and learning.)
You will need MBoost licence to flash this bin.
@aus335iguy i know you played with the IKM0S file on your car, give this a try, i think you might like it.

Attachments

• IKM0SINA0S_mix.bin
    2 MB · Views: 30

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Great to see if somebody is learning on its own and gaining experience with selftuning.
If MBoost is required you changed at least Boost ceiling to more than 1.28bar. If targeting less than 18.5psi, this move didn´t make sense.
But what are the changes you did? Is there a list/documentation?
Which XDF did you use? The std one?

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hey bud, thank you.
OK cool, yes that makes sense, i did change the boost ceiling to 1.5 in the table. i was just going by the V8Bait tuning guide so made the changes there that was suggested,
Im not sure yet on how to adjust the rest to physically increase boost, that im still learning, as it seems to be in the load tables, so will play with that incrementally next.

Doh, i didnt document anything, but i check there is a log file that i just coverted to a .txt file so i can upload it, there are all the tables that i ported from the INA0S file (maybe Ported is the incorrect word, i copied the values from INA0S)
you will also see the tables i cahnged according to the Tuning Guide.

I used the following XDF, i will include the IKM0S and INA0S XDF and the z4 35is bin i used,

I have included the INA0S New Tables XDF, which contains the VIN and Burble info, is there anyone that assist in porting those to IKM0S please?

Attachments

• WBAWB72020PW81678_updated_FS.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 19
  • z4 35is_updated.bin
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • INA0S (Standard Units)-AzNdevil.xdf
    711.4 KB · Views: 13
  • INA0S with DCT Throttle Correction.xdf
    712.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IKM0S - Throttle correction 1.1.xdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 12
  • INA0S (New Tables).xdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 17

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If you just type 1.28 for ceiling in XDF, the conversion rounding will increase the hex, which will both require MBoost and kill DCT shifts. Either enter 0x7FFF directly or enter something a little lower as the converted value.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
thanks for the feedback, if i type 0x7FFF into the cell and save, then the value changes to 2.56, which is double the 1.28 value of the stock map.
Is that correct, or am i doing this wrong?

Edit: Also, if i re-change the value using a hex now, instead of typing in the value like i did initially (ie: 1.50), then will it remove the need to use MBoost? and can you explain the statement aboout Kill DCT shifts? whats the difference between manually typing in 1.50 or typing in 0x7FFF?

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
7FFF should convert to 1.28, not 1.50. If 7FFF shows 2.56 or anything else, the conversion/attributes in the XDF are probably wrong. Hex is what the DME reads, what you see in XDF are human readable unit translations of the hex values via conversion equations.

If you enter hex 7FFF, regardless of what XDF shows, it's max stock ceiling and you will not need MBoost.

The logic they use for MBoost has always needed an adjustment. It's "ok" for AT and MT, but causes issues on DCT. You can run the higher boost target with it during gear, but it will be on limiter forever on WOT shift.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Inte
7FFF should convert to 1.28, not 1.50. If 7FFF shows 2.56 or anything else, the conversion/attributes in the XDF are probably wrong. Hex is what the DME reads, what you see in XDF are human readable unit translations of the hex values via conversion equations.

If you enter hex 7FFF, regardless of what XDF shows, it's max stock ceiling and you will not need MBoost.

The logic they use for MBoost has always needed an adjustment. It's "ok" for AT and MT, but causes issues on DCT. You can run the higher boost target with it during gear, but it will be on limiter forever on WOT shift.
Interesting.
I tried the 7FFF in the cell. And it converted it back to 1.28 just once. Every time after that test it sent back to 2.56.
So not sure what's going on.
So if I manually input 1.28 will it return the hard DCT shifts? And negate the need for MBoost?
I saw V8Baits sheet shows to place Boost Ceiling from 1.28 to 1.4 or 1.5.
I know now for my use currently I can return back to 1.28.

Now the real question, do tuners out there change this cell the correct way, or just manually like I did? Very interesting.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I was forwarded a link where by it was stated (RSL you were in that link) that the 1.28bar ceiling is recommended for the DCT, then use 3-Cell MAP scaling to facilitate the higher boost.

https://www.bummerboost.com/showthr...-tuning-boost-limits-and-boost-ceiling-values

Is this still the case.

And also, can I just simply input "1.28" to return the map to use the correct DCT setup? Or do I have to use the 7FFF value.

I will test in any case. Thank you :)

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yes, it is still absolutely the case and will remain so until MHD fixes their logic, which they may never do. In the meantime, anything for target over 1.28 bar ceiling will need to be scaled instead to increase boost and still shift well with DCT.

Put in 1.28 then view raw hex. If it's 7FFF or lower, you don't need MBoost. If it's 8000 or higher, you need MBoost. You can back "1.28" down to 1.277 or lower and keep checking until hex shows 7FFF or lower, but it's easier just to enter as hex.

That XDF table is probably modified privately. I personally change any bar conversions to psi in mine since it makes my life easier.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Thank you @RSL This is great information for me and I'm sure others.
I had no idea the impact of the boost ceiling.

One last question.
I am currently still OEM 2.5bar MAP sensor,
Can I still do the 3-Cell MAP scaling with this sensor, or is it required to have the N20 sensor when scaling the 3Cell?

Thank you

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
You can scale stock MAP, but you're obviously limited to sensor max and the closer you get to limit, the less accurate they are. Most wouldn't bother without more headroom or want to pick up more than just another ~3psi.