E82 N55 DCT w/M3 GTS

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
😅😅😅

1. No you don't need an M3 cluster necessarily, but the 1 series smaller display I believe can't fit the large indicators and shiftlogic meter. A regular 3 series would work.

2. In my experience it seems that there isn't a differentiation between "normal" and "sport" anymore so I just always have burbles. But I set them to 3k+ so it's easy to stay away if I want.

3. I never did get that figured out. So far it hasn't been an issue in any case, just a noticeable difference in the little over-rev vs immediately slowing back down.

4. Yes, but it is automatically activated when the car is shut off. There is no longer a button to control it. Although I did toy with the idea of adding one. I just use my parking brake anyways. I often leave it running in neutral to run in and grab snacks 😋
Any chance you can pull your cars trace file so I can compare? I just finished up with this swap on a 2011 135i from a manual and I am getting problems that seem to be coding related. I had the car working fine and shifting up on a lift on the stock M3 GTS DCT tune. Now on the ground, as soon as I put the car into D I lose RPM and it throws codes. I tried resetting the DME/CAS/KOMBI and still nothing. I think the car still thinks it's manual somewhere or something. At any rate, a full trace comparison would be helpful or a quick summary of which variables need to be changed. I have a gear symbol in the KOMBI and my drive logic button doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I found a post by @derekgates on this where he had the same issue with the 0rpm in drive. He states he had to manually set all "spa" parameters to enabled in the Kombi. I tried this (they all said disabled) and then I got an additional kombi related error and still had the 0 rpm issue.

EDIT: drive logic works now after enabling the rpa settings in KOMBI but rpm scaling still seems to be off and drops to 0 when in Drive. rpms go up as you accelerate but they are off by ~1000rpm? Trans wont shift past 2nd.

Not sure why some people's coding doesn't work right but I feel pretty stuck right now...

Last edited:

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
Any chance you can pull your cars trace file so I can compare? I just finished up with this swap on a 2011 135i from a manual and I am getting problems that seem to be coding related. I had the car working fine and shifting up on a lift on the stock M3 GTS DCT tune. Now on the ground, as soon as I put the car into D I lose RPM and it throws codes. I tried resetting the DME/CAS/KOMBI and still nothing. I think the car still thinks it's manual somewhere or something. At any rate, a full trace comparison would be helpful or a quick summary of which variables need to be changed. I have a gear symbol in the KOMBI and my drive logic button doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I found a post by @derekgates on this where he had the same issue with the 0rpm in drive. He states he had to manually set all "spa" parameters to enabled in the Kombi. I tried this (they all said disabled) and then I got an additional kombi related error and still had the 0 rpm issue.

EDIT: drive logic works now after enabling the rpa settings in KOMBI but rpm scaling still seems to be off and drops to 0 when in Drive. rpms go up as you accelerate but they are off by ~1000rpm? Trans wont shift past 2nd.

Not sure why some people's coding doesn't work right but I feel pretty stuck right now...
Hey, welcome to the deep mod world!
What exactly are you looking for filewise? I don't have experience in swapping from manual but I can pull and send what I have flashed in. I started with a stock m3 gts option that I'd have to research back to as it's been a couple years. I don't recall exactly the changes I had to make but they i think they were all simple options in kombi and ai definitely didn't have an issue with bit being off in rpm or bogging down.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
What exactly are you looking for filewise? I don't have experience in swapping from manual but I can pull and send what I have flashed in. I started with a stock m3 gts option that I'd have to research back to as it's been a couple years. I don't recall exactly the changes I had to make but they i think they were all simple options in kombi and ai definitely didn't have an issue with bit being off in rpm or bogging down.

Looks like I needed to set Dzm_disp_rpm to Wert_01. I had seen a post that summarized what needed to be done and it said it should be wert_02.

Changing this last setting fixed the rpm dropping to 0 on the tach when in drive.

I am still getting CF21, A0B1, 5A73, 5A76, and 5A78. Sometimes the trans shifts fine and goes through all gears in a snap. Other times the trans is in limp mode and wont go past 2nd. I am guessing something is just bad with the DCT at this point to still be getting codes as all the coding now seems correct. I'll have to make sure all my wiring is solid but I am leaning toward it being mechanical I think.

On an E82 I had to manually set:

Kombi:
Dzm_disp_rpm: Wert_01
MOTORSPORT: Value 01
Shalt_PKT_BC: Enabled
SCHALT_PKT_DAUERHAFT: Enabled

DSC:
C0F_BAUART: Wert_02

Think I am missing anything? it wouldn't hurt if you could open NCS Expert and "read ecu" the kombi, cas, JBBF, and DSC. After you read each module just re-name the .trc file that ncsexpert creates to "Kombi" or whatever and then read the next module. I could then text compare to my own .trc files and see if there is some line somewhere that I missed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wheela

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
@azshantris do you have the connector part #s for the GWS? I did the conversion long ago and used patch wires "temporarily" and now want to go back and repin to proper connectors. Of course now I can't find the part #s now.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I missed them in the first post.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
In case anyone wants an alternative to modifying the e82 shifter boot. I went with a off brand manual shifter boot and mounted the shift logic button under the leather on a plastic shelf that is part of the boot assembly.

1000010424.jpg

And I decided to print a translucent shift knob in lieu of the M knob... To match the printed shift paddles.

1000010425.jpg

Reactions: houtan

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
bumping this again for anyone with an E82 to reply. I am on the hunt for a different DCT to swap in but id like to rule out the coding if anyone can post up their trace files.

I ripped the car around the other day and it shifts flawlessly without any issues. Not needing to lift and keeping boost between shifts made the car feel like a rocket that not even flat foot shifting with the manual could match and no worries about eating synchros to do it. Not sure why I am still getting codes if the car is shifting completely normal. I also find it odd that I needed to set rpm dizm to wert_01 whereas everyone else is using wert_02.

Since the car shifts fine I can run it as is but launch control isn't working. The flag doesn't pop up when I hold the shifter forward. Not sure if that is related to the codes or not but the trans doesn't seem to be in limp mode or anything... With DSC off it goes to drive logic 6 fine.