DONT BUY A ENGINE FROM MMP

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Few things stand out, who in there right mind set a price on an engine without a complete tear down? This 700+ hp engine is going together with the same timing components, and a used head? Does his program include a reman head/ valve job that pertains into a complete tear down, inspection, magna flux, and resurface? Sounds like this isn't the case, as all heads in a motor program especially a performance aluminum head, should have a 3 angle, and new ledges, lifters, and a complete spring test. This is just the top, you already know what the bottom requires. The head gasket is a dead giveaway that someone either dosent know what he's doing, or something is warped. I would of never taken this back after dealing with this.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Few things stand out, who in there right mind set a price on an engine without a complete tear down? This 700+ hp engine is going together with the same timing components, and a used head? Does his program include a reman head/ valve job that pertains into a complete tear down, inspection, magna flux, and resurface? Sounds like this isn't the case, as all heads in a motor program especially a performance aluminum head, should have a 3 angle, and new ledges, lifters, and a complete spring test. This is just the top, you already know what the bottom requires. The head gasket is a dead giveaway that someone either dosent know what he's doing, or something is warped. I would of never taken this back after dealing with this.
Check out their website, it details what they do at what prices and includes in the details that they do able year down, have standard upgrades they do on the low end model and then has options for more power potential. I would assume since OP said he got contacted by MMP about little things here and there and had to pay a little extra for some things, it probably involved replacement of those things unless the OP said otherwise.

OP didn't want to pay to play for that power level but Mauricio was willing to match the cost of a junkyard engine, source a core for him, and waive the core cost as a benefit for both of them. Yes the head gasket thing sucks and I would've been bummed about it too but shit happens and it was replaced under warranty. He'd likely be in just as much money after buying a high mile junkyard motor due to maintenance costs and very likely could've been buying and engine with worse problems than an oil pan leak. It was going to be warrantied again for the leaky oil pan but OP shot himself in the foot when he decided to do it himself instead of following the warranty procedure, which is no different than any other warranty. If your TV breaks and you open it up yourself, would you really expect Samsung to honor the warranty still let alone pay you for parts and labor?

Imo it sounds like the OP (who used to be a big proponent for EMP mind you) wanted to keep cutting corners probably including on other things he isn't mentioning, and that's where his problems came from, not from MMP's engine building options or warranty or customer service lacking. I've continually seen Mauricio go out of his way to help people out on FB, and he did it for me personally and for OP too until the warranty was voided. @MMP , if you decide to build someone an engine again for less than a junkyard motor who wants things done right, let me know please! :tearsofjoy:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
If one checks out this thread linked below, they would see MMP ships out about 2 engine builds per week. Considering they've been at it for at least a year now, that would mean they've built at least 100 N54/N55 engines. So if only one guy has some troubles, that is still less than 1% with a problem and the amount of experience in this department is unrivaled IMO. That is unless just maybe the quantity of engine builds has been grossly over exaggerated. :cool:

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/mmp-engineering-built-engine-program.3990/

Thanks,
Rob

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
If one checks out this thread linked below, they would see MMP ships out about 2 engine builds per week. Considering they've been at it for at least a year now, that would mean they've built at least 100 N54/N55 engines. So if only one guy has some troubles, that is still less than 1% with a problem and the amount of experience in this department is unrivaled IMO. That is unless just maybe the quantity of engine builds has been grossly over exaggerated. :cool:

Thanks,
Rob

Was waiting for something like this from you. Don't you have a bunch of "orders" to get out?

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
Honestly, you are a nightmare client and I wouldn't want anything to do with you. I think MMP took all the necessary steps to make you happy and you are completly in the wrong here.

A very patient client at that, first engine failed ok cool not mad shit happens. Second engine comes in gets installed and not even 10-20 miles into the engine and it leaks bad, i pay another 1k+ out of pocket to fix this leak they are responsible for. IF they would of used a new gasket and bolts i wouldn't have this issue.

My only solution was pay 1400+ to ship the car back to mmp for the 3rd time so they could fix it. More then likely would of been blamed as well for some other dumb shit like they blamed me for the first time. The amount of times he changed his story is crazy.

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI

Thanks,
Rob

I know of at least 2 people having issues with there MMP engines right now but they want to stay anonymous for the meantime

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
I still think you got a great deal on price. Mistakes always happen. It strikes 30k builds and 1k builds alike. I dont think this incident calls for an online roasting.

My total for this is around 6k+ if i could count all the labor due to his fucks up's. I'm not the only one having issues i am just tired of being ,milked around. More then likely this "new" engine i have is bad too so ill just go with someone like Ali to build me an engine.

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
Check out their website, it details what they do at what prices and includes in the details that they do able year down, have standard upgrades they do on the low end model and then has options for more power potential. I would assume since OP said he got contacted by MMP about little things here and there and had to pay a little extra for some things, it probably involved replacement of those things unless the OP said otherwise.

OP didn't want to pay to play for that power level but Mauricio was willing to match the cost of a junkyard engine, source a core for him, and waive the core cost as a benefit for both of them. Yes the head gasket thing sucks and I would've been bummed about it too but shit happens and it was replaced under warranty. He'd likely be in just as much money after buying a high mile junkyard motor due to maintenance costs and very likely could've been buying and engine with worse problems than an oil pan leak. It was going to be warrantied again for the leaky oil pan but OP shot himself in the foot when he decided to do it himself instead of following the warranty procedure, which is no different than any other warranty. If your TV breaks and you open it up yourself, would you really expect Samsung to honor the warranty still let alone pay you for parts and labor?

Imo it sounds like the OP (who used to be a big proponent for EMP mind you) wanted to keep cutting corners probably including on other things he isn't mentioning, and that's where his problems came from, not from MMP's engine building options or warranty or customer service lacking. I've continually seen Mauricio go out of his way to help people out on FB, and he did it for me personally and for OP too until the warranty was voided. @MMP , if you decide to build someone an engine again for less than a junkyard motor who wants things done right, let me know please! :tearsofjoy:

I wanted a used engine in Texas i was contacted to get his engine for a partial sponsorship, i still ended up paying over 3k+ like you said first engine took a shit oh well shit happens. I was not mad, but to send me another engine with a bad oil pan gasket is just BS. If he didn't wanna spend +$100 on an oil pan gasket should of let me know and i would of happily had it installed my self.

The amount of times Maurico changes his story on many things is why i wasn't going to pay an extra +1400 to ship the car for there "warranty work'. I know how it was going to play out anyways, i'm going to get blamed for one thing and then he is going to change his story again and again. I asked for only HALF of the labor work to be covered.

I had a local shop install the oil pan gasket even if the warranty was voided because at this point if my engine went bad i wouldn't go back to the same company who cant build an engine for shit.

JUST AN FYI, Maucio had to called Ali a real engine builder many times because he was clueless on how to do things with my engine...

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Ya, I've seen add ons, like pistons, rods, Ferreira valvetrain,all the only upgrades for this engine. Still dosent count wether or not your going thru the proper procedure for any, again any engine. This includeds a proper inspection of all parts before any quote is given to a customer. I've been a mechanic on heavy equipment for a long time, if I was doing a head on a engine and a head gasket let go with 50hrs of use, do I say to my boss that; Hey, it's only one out of the last 10! That's good odds! An engine builder is one of the few people in the automotive world who has to set themselves to the highest standard, have exceptionl customer history and qualification. You think builders like Moran, Nelson, Steve Morris have issues like head gaskets, and oilpan leaks? I can't believe there are excuses over this, it seems it's all over the n54 platform. When does it end?

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
My total for this is around 6k+ if i could count all the labor due to his fucks up's. I'm not the only one having issues i am just tired of being ,milked around. More then likely this "new" engine i have is bad too so ill just go with someone like Ali to build me an engine.
I'm thinking some don't know the extent of doing a motor twice. There is so much labor involved in doing this. A reputable engine builder dosent have issues like this, unless someone else hats never done one is trying to do it. Honestly, after all this, I'd be afraid to run it in my car.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I know of at least 2 people having issues with there MMP engines right now but they want to stay anonymous for the meantime

That post was mostly in jest. MMP has a long history of inflating success in order to minimize the failures, a "fake it till you make it" business ethic if you will. We've seen him state over the course of months at a time production levels that just are not possible, for even the most successful of turbo businesses. Then add in multiple engine builds and every other thing he claims to have his hands in, you're left with either he has an operation of 25+ very talented people and limitless machinery or he is simply making things up along the way (or perhaps something largely in between).

Obviously this is going to be offensive to some but my honest thought is that he probably has well under 10 N54/N55 engine builds under his belt in total, which there is still no shame in that as long one is honest about it with the online audience. It would be nice to have some sort of information proving this wrong for his sake, as even 2-3 engine build issues wouldn't be too bad if they really have kicked out 100+ engines.

One thing I can leave you with is that usually if a vendor is busy you are going be hard pressed to find "at or below-cost deals" and "sponsorships"- as this is usually what a vendor does when they are trying to get a product/service lifted off the ground and NOT when they are consistently selling and shipping product/services at (or close to) MSRP.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: b4llistic

MMP

Private
Nov 10, 2016
Houston, Texas
We have shipped over 50 engines. N54 and N55. About 30% stock rebuilds. When I said we were selling and shipping 1-2 week that week that was 100% accurate. Since Rob is so “busy” shipping turbos but he has tons of time to post on forums and throw shade on any vendor that competes with him, he couldn’t understand what I said and interpreted it his way to try and throw shade, he tried to say since the moment we started selling engines we were selling and shipping 1-2 per week. But I know Rob does whatever he can to drum up business because his Evos or whatever he calls them haven’t sold very well most of what he sells is RB1s according to his own published numbers. When we started selling engines it was slow at first maybe 1-2 per month but it consistently picked up to being 1-2 per week. We had a month or two of 8 sold, but we always get at least 4 per month and most of the time are landing between 4-8 per month. There are weeks where we ship 2 per week, most we can do, or one or may be a week when non ship. We even had a week where we shipped 3 working the weekend. Just depends on how parts que up.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i

Thanks,
Rob
Lol, the last guy never came back???

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
OP, should try the voting feature to see if he’s gotta wear his big boy pants for racing lifestyle or cry warranty and forward hiked up bills for further reimbursement.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
We have shipped over 50 engines. N54 and N55. About 30% stock rebuilds. When I said we were selling and shipping 1-2 week that week that was 100% accurate. Since Rob is so “busy” shipping turbos but he has tons of time to post on forums and throw shade on any vendor that competes with him, he couldn’t understand what I said and interpreted it his way to try and throw shade, he tried to say since the moment we started selling engines we were selling and shipping 1-2 per week. But I know Rob does whatever he can to drum up business because his Evos or whatever he calls them haven’t sold very well most of what he sells is RB1s according to his own published numbers. When we started selling engines it was slow at first maybe 1-2 per month but it consistently picked up to being 1-2 per week. We had a month or two of 8 sold, but we always get at least 4 per month and most of the time are landing between 4-8 per month. There are weeks where we ship 2 per week, most we can do, or one or may be a week when non ship. We even had a week where we shipped 3 working the weekend. Just depends on how parts que up.

Interesting. Thread now is moved to the Ford sections Octagon. In a full decade now in this platform (and many years prior in others) and including every forum- we have never once contacted admin to try to hide anything that maybe out there. Where they are started, if they are started; are where they stay. Great strategy to hide these things for the slimy vendors one may say.

As for the 50 engine claim, thanks for putting that out there finally.

So let us recap some quick claims below:
Per the last thread, RCBoosted was told "3 per week" over the phone. We called out the production amount and then it quickly turned into "1-2 per week".

Now consider the following:
MMP Engine build program was established 8/2016, so let's just call it 2 years. So initially one would take 3 engines per week as ~300 engines built, and the later 1-2 engines per week as ~100-200 engines built. Now we are down to 50 engines built, but something still tells me that is it is still less than 10. Would love to be proven wrong.

Just hoping for one day an N54 vendor just not be completely full of it, but do not see it coming anytime soon from this one.

Rob

PS. Yes we are very busy. So busy we do not even need to post on Instagram. So busy we do not even have a Facebook page. So busy we decline large dollar orders weekly as the purchaser seemingly is going to be too frantic to get product. So busy that we have no black friday sales. So busy we do not even sell products over forums, can't even remember the last marketing thread we have established. I know it is hard to fathom but really word of mouth seems to do wonders, and the subsequent old fashioned phone calls and emails seem to be doing the trick quite nicely. Lastly I don't think that taking the 15 or so minutes to make a post here or there isn't worth it, because it is indeed very much worth it if it means saving even just one from this sort of BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoBoost

Mashinajoe

Nov 11, 2017
Ride
E92 335i N54
That motor was severely overheated, not a shadow of a doubt in my mind. He's probably still using EMP Tuning. I wonder if he still has their sticker wrapped all over his slow piece of shit.

I love watching this kid get fucked, over and over again. Because it's his own stupidity, every step of the way.
Yes yes, me too. Bahahahahahahahaha