DIY tuning

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Not looked at logs on phone yet. The DCT variants are not usually present except for torque related maps so best to change AT and MT to test as you are. Disable cold start I don't know what is being altered but it will not be overwriting these as they were discovered after that option. It may be they are not used in the same way/for as long but they will not be physically overwritten.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
I suspect it is mainly Vanos related and probably ignition timing. Honestly, these cars go closed loop so quickly after start that I'm not sure this is really necessary in this climate. I've never had a fail to start, just an unstable idle for a few seconds before it goes closed loop and a slightly longer crank.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
The fast closed loop is good, how long are you finding it takes in various temperatures? Interest of course is virtual flex fuel. The previous ethanol value would be stored now I've worked out how to write to EEPROM, so cold start would be fine if the previous ethanol estimate was fine and we blend the correct cold start tables. But I really need it to be closed loop very soon after a refuelling event, as quick as a potentially different mix hits the injectors anyway.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Your log looks like you have STFT 10s after starting, so it looks like then it is closed loop. I don't know if the STFT going to about +6% between 10s and 60s after a start is typical on gasoline? Interesting looking at valve lift req and throttle. Looks like it is starting with valvetronic actively controlled, but VANOS not, backing up earlier thoughts about a motor vs oil pressure control.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
I don't have any cold start logs from when I ran gasoline. Probably just need to spend some more time on the scalar table since I went from E30 to E50. I got a few logs and increased the scalars but wasn't very thorough.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Does not look wildly different, still a positive but not huge STFT in the afterstart period.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Coolant temp rises much faster. As far as idle stability I didn’t notice any difference.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Turned Cold Start Noise Reduction back on, Logged various load/rpms to get fuel scalar dialed in better for E54, increased post start fuel tables a bit more and logged another cold start at 8C ambient. STFT is much better, had a longish crank, about 2sec, so I'll try increasing the start table a bit more. Closed loop starts 5sec after start, is that good enough for Virtual Flex Fuel? I glossed over that in your previous post, I thought your work was using a ethanol content sensor. The newer GM stuff is virtual Flex Fuel as well, correct?

https://datazap.me/u/sbrach/rev45-cold-start?log=0&data=0-9-13-14-15-16-17-34&solo=9-13-15

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Turned Cold Start Noise Reduction back on, Logged various load/rpms to get fuel scalar dialed in better for E54, increased post start fuel tables a bit more and logged another cold start at 8C ambient. STFT is much better, had a longish crank, about 2sec, so I'll try increasing the start table a bit more. Closed loop starts 5sec after start, is that good enough for Virtual Flex Fuel? I glossed over that in your previous post, I thought your work was using a ethanol content sensor. The newer GM stuff is virtual Flex Fuel as well, correct?

https://datazap.me/u/sbrach/rev45-cold-start?log=0&data=0-9-13-14-15-16-17-34&solo=9-13-15

Nice to know the afterstart tables are having an effect. Thanks for testing.

OEMs keep switching between virtual flex fuel and a sensor. I keep doing the same ;) but seriously I think I would like to do both but have the sensor version coded. I think 5 seconds if plenty fast enough as it would take at least that long to get a new mix from the tank to hit the injectors. I'm juggling new features vs finishing existing stuff.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Nice to know the afterstart tables are having an effect. Thanks for testing.

OEMs keep switching between virtual flex fuel and a sensor. I keep doing the same ;) but seriously I think I would like to do both but have the sensor version coded. I think 5 seconds if plenty fast enough as it would take at least that long to get a new mix from the tank to hit the injectors. I'm juggling new features vs finishing existing stuff.

After filling my tank and watching the gauge, it takes at least a few minutes into my drive before it starts to go up on the gauge. I'm sure it would be faster if the tank was very close to empty, but these tests were with at least > 1/4 tank.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Possibly one that isn’t defined. All the tq limiters in the xdf are set to 900