Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Ok so @Hpaula user has converted his 2012 335is and @LMB335is did the coding
Issues with shift lethargy arose when 2MD (M drive) was added. Multiple errors occurred when this happened relating to coms issues with KOMBI
The problem goes away when 2MD is removed.

Edit now confirmed that all others who have completed the swap have the same issue.

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Here’s a further explanation of coding and errors presented, from @LMB335is
I've been doing his coding for him. Removed $2TC, added $2MK, $2MD, defaulted KOMBI, NFRM, JBBF, CIC and did the additional KOMBI coding. Same exact thing Darrick Yezak did and car runs wells, at least as far as I know. So last night we take it back to stock, VO and all modules defaulted to stock to start over and go in stages to try and isolate when the issues occurs. Stock VO, no coding, çar shifts quickly but trans and tach errors. I then just deleted stock dct from VO and added M dct, coded KOMBI and car still shifted well but still had trans and tach errors. Next step was to add MDRIVE to VO, and defaulted KOMBI again, along with JBBF, NFRM, CIC. Now the errors were gone but the shifting issue started again. I've was wondering if the tune might be interfering in some way. My next step was having him flash the DME to stock but I ran out of time last night. He's also getting consistent errors in the EGS of CF21 and CF27. CF21 - EGS/SMG: no message from INSTR.CLUSTER CF27 - EGS: Message from SZL: operation, gearbox selector switch. Wiring, connection, bad contact issue?

Hpaula

Lurker
Feb 23, 2018
Ride
335is
Did some logs for Ken yesterday, he sent me couple of maps to try out today ones i get home would see what happens

Last edited:
Reactions: boostE92d

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'll play with this on Saturday as well. My initial test drive before I did my coding was incredible. And sometimes I get great shifts on M6 mode, but sometimes I get this same hesitation. Kind of odd.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The weirdest part is that it happens after m drive coding and not drivelogic coding. Seems to indicate that M Drive is the problem rather than anything else...

Hpaula

Lurker
Feb 23, 2018
Ride
335is
I'll play with this on Saturday as well. My initial test drive before I did my coding was incredible. And sometimes I get great shifts on M6 mode, but sometimes I get this same hesitation. Kind of odd.

My hesitation starts from end of 3 gear on at wot, is your car stock tune ?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Certainly stands to reason torque requests/outputs, paths, interrupts, etc. between N54 and S54 aren't remotely similar by default and they impact tranny operation/shifts significantly. S54 has pretty flat torque, less of it and much higher RPM/shaft speeds, which would equate to quicker disengagement/re-engagement and higher clamping without fear of baking clutches or too much load on the tranny/drive line. There may need to be some noticeably different tuning strategies for it on N54 and that's been my thought since the swap first worked.

I did a cursory 5 minute search the other day, but what someone wants to do is find an S54 DME rom/XDF and let's take a look at how they are requesting, factoring, limiting, interrupting, etc.

Did some logs for Ken yesterday, he sent me couple of maps to try out today ones i get home would see what happens
Do you have the logs posted? I've been dying to see what's happening on PT/WOT shifts on this, especially with significantly different responses now noted between different modes.

Hpaula

Lurker
Feb 23, 2018
Ride
335is
Certainly stands to reason torque requests/outputs, paths, interrupts, etc. between N54 and S54 aren't remotely similar by default and they impact tranny operation/shifts significantly. S54 has pretty flat torque, less of it and much higher RPM/shaft speeds, which would equate to quicker disengagement/re-engagement and higher clamping without fear of baking clutches or too much load on the tranny/drive line. There may need to be some noticeably different tuning strategies for it on N54 and that's been my thought since the swap first worked.

I did a cursory 5 minute search the other day, but what someone wants to do is find an S54 DME rom/XDF and let's take a look at how they are requesting, factoring, limiting, interrupting, etc.

Do you have the logs posted? I've been dying to see what's happening on PT/WOT shifts on this, especially with significantly different responses now noted between different modes.

https://datazap.me/u/hpaula335is/log-1520476898?log=0&data=3-21
https://datazap.me/u/hpaula335is/log-1520476849?log=0&data=3-21
https://datazap.me/u/hpaula335is/log-1520476795?log=0&data=3-21

Reactions: RSL

Hpaula

Lurker
Feb 23, 2018
Ride
335is

The gts software that we are running is made for the s65 v8 engine not the s54

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Awesome, thanks! That is interesting, almost looks like it's responding to stability control or something, but hard to tell since everything is related. No constant limiters though. Can you tell if it's slipping or is it just limiting power? There is one in there the 3-4 shift seems to have significant delay between indicated gear change and then shift timing/torque drops hitting. On that same log though, the 2-3 shift (higher RPM) had no timing or torque drops at all. I don't know if the markers will line up, but you'll get the idea:

https://datazap.me/u/hpaula335is/lo...3-4-5-13-21-25-26-27&solo=26&mark=36-37-55-58

Have you tried on a non-scaled/stock bin? Thanks for the info on the S65, had just assumed it was S54.

@aus335iguy maybe start an M3 GWS log thread with your others where we can compile/compare logs?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hector was DSC off or on for these and do you notice a difference in behaviour between the two ? Also what were the road conditions like ? They weren’t wet or anything ?

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I am having no luck with this GWS flash.

The GWS is installed, changed from 10 pin to 8 pin (from 335is to M3 GWS connector).

Following steps in https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/cic-mdrive-menu-coding.2761/ using the BMW Coding V3 Lite virtual machine. COM1 for serial port, INPA and all tools read ECU.

The car has the ZB updated via WinKFP to 784577.

M3 Shifter does not illuminate, car shows 'shifter error' in cluster. Car can start but GWS does not function.

Codes as read by MHD:

2E7F - DME: EGS via PT-CAN2 and PT-CAN
2F4C - DME: Message EWS-DME incorrect
3179 - Message (wheel speed, 0xCE) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC.
CD94 - Message error (ambient temperature /relative time, 0x310), DME receiver, instrument panel transmitter.
CD95 - Message (operation, cruise control/ACC, 0x194) fauly, receiver DME, transmitter DSC/SZL/LWS/ACC.
CD9C - Message (speed, 0x1A0) faulty, receiver DME, transmitter DSC.
CD9D - Message (transmission data, 0xBA) faulty, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/HIM/SMG/DKG
CDA0 - Message error (terminal status, 0x130), DME receiver, CAS transmitter
CDA5 - Message (status, DSC, 0x19E) faulty, receiver DME, transmitter DSC
CDA8 - Message (status, instrument panel, 0x1B4) faulty, receiver DME, transmitter KOMBI
I have tried clearing codes, letting car sit overnight (locked). I have tried updating VO but I get errors such as:

"Error on reading coding data : ERROR_HO_WORT" when trying FA_WRITE​

Unsure how to progress here. It seems like the GWS should have worked after updating the ZB for GS40 but mine did not illuminate at that stage of retrofit.

Any ideas @LMB335is or @dyezak ?

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Wiring on the 8pin is incorrect based on the 2e7f message

Well, crap. I hope not. My BMW tech I am working with did the repin. He noted a small spark when doing changeover but every module seems to be working fine. I am worried about that.

I attached a picture of the 8 pin. It seems to match the original guide's 8 pin. Not sure where we went wrong. :(

[EDIT] We found fuse 65 was blown, a 10A. Stated to be the gear shifter fuse. https://www.bummerboost.com/showthr...2578f08346d331ceb2786502b&p=713400#post713400 (2008 BMW 335i wiring diagram power distribution.pdf)

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 408