Crazy FRM / ICOM issue

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Alright ... haven't heard about this and wondering if I lost my marbles. We were working on some Combox programming on the Z4 (ISTA+ and ICOM). Not long after I noticed that the mirrors would no longer fold out (or in). Turns out FRM lost its VIN. Sebastian recoded FRM and all was happy.

Now my X5d E70 ... some point after I bought it, TPMS started acting up. I pulled the antenna, cut it open and no corrosion or any issues. Glued it back up and into the X5. Don't really see any issues. Well guess what ... FRM lost its VIN. Of course it has been connected up to the same ISTA+/ICOM setup. It also claims 12.3V on ISTA+ even though I've got a programming recharger setup on the X5 running 13.4V. Weird stuff.

What's the chance of two cars losing their FRM VIN? THe only correlation I have is the Chinesium ICOM I have. What's the chance that something wacky is going on and wacking the FRMs? I've had it for several years ... but now getting suspicious.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
One other question - Sebastian does not trust reprogramming the FRM on the X5 with this ICOM. I've got Pro Tools? Anyone done the VIN programming on the FRM with what? If so, pointers? Thanks!

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
One other question - Sebastian does not trust reprogramming the FRM on the X5 with this ICOM. I've got Pro Tools? Anyone done the VIN programming on the FRM with what? If so, pointers? Thanks!
Ive got Protool,
Did some coding on the FRM, and adjusted Voltages to the low beams, then the lights wouldnt work. luckily took a backup, and then just restored it, and all was good.
Else i would of just Factory Coded the FRM again if i didnt have a back up and redone my specific lighting coding.

But protool seems pretty robust.

Reactions: fmorelli