Comparing N54 - N55 - M2 (N55TO) Oil Supply from Oil Pan

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
So the M2 has the solution of the "dual oil pump" system with a baffle. One feeding the other. Great solution.

For the N54 actually i figured ppl sharing only the VAC baffle option.

What i cannot find and am planning to do somehow is to check the bolt pattern from the N55 Oil Pan and the N55 Bead Plate.

It may be a bigger DIY project but connecting the second oil pump to the n54 primary pump should be doable. Maybe even the M2 solution fits to the N54 bead plate?

The M2 Oil Pan has everything needed for that and with some hole adjustments it should be possible to fit the Pan to the N54.

What i can see from the pictures is that one bolt hole (on the pictures "bottom" at around cylinder 2 (right side) the first hole) seems to be re-positioned more to cylinder 1 and the others should be basically in the same place. Long Holes drilling would solve that anyways.

So i am not concerned about bolt patterns and sealing.

N54
NxXgPy94VOy6JT9v4zNlI31IaCyn6KRvupvQx1BUA1M6G0V5xQ.png

M2
tF1VtfwRrIySftyLH2L1IK3Xv6rVzoUl9RZM7sh_QdSFe9L_jg.png

I have no pictures for the oil pan on the outside.

For the N54 oil pan on the left top 2/3rd to the right there is this big dent to the inside. I only can imagine that the big dent is because of the original downpipe kitty?

The oil pump
ROzVnPx-guAPNzWFSp010-oEkjtHGv0YifrOzEj_AN-9mqnT3w.png

Should be in the same position because it is chain driven as on the n54.

I know that the oiling for the vac pump was changed from N54 to this, but i am not concerned about this yet.

Has anyone ever compared these component against each other?

Attachments

• 1577715612714.png
    1577715612714.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 274
  • Informative
Reactions: Torgus and Asbjorn

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Like I replied in the other thread, n54 and n55 oil pans should be interchangeable. They share the same oil pan on a 135i. Some chassis might be different like the z4 or awd models of course.

The m2/m235iR oil setup has been retrofitted by people. One issue is the power steering pump mounts to the oil pan on the e series whereas the f series doesnt. So you'll need to figure that out. Not sure what else is an issue but google around youll find the guy who already did the swap and you can ask him what else he did. That's where I'm paraphrasing my information from. I think it's on 2addicts if I recall.

The main issue here is parts availability and cost. Things do pop on ebay cheap sometimes though. I saw the entire oil pump setup for $200 once. Shouldve flipped it for profit lol... or installed it.

I would honestly care more about the dual oil pumps than the oil pan itself. The baffle probably doesnt do much. The main benefit is pumping the oil from the front of the pan to the rear sump area where the pickup tube is. You can weld in your own baffle for cheap compared to the cost of an M2 pan if you can even find one used.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Thanks for you information also here. I think we can continue in the other thread :)

I also contacted Hydra Performance and he said that the M2 oil pan with the dual pump solution will not fit under my N54 sub-frame :(

Like Mountune also Hydra said i should go baffle and accusump. So i guess i am now saving for that solution.

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Thought it would be useful to post this pic of my oil pan w/ the VAC baffle after I replaced the gasket over the weekend. Never had any major issue with oil pressure dropping under high G's/on track with this baffle, but to each their own. You have to install the pan at a very specific angle with the baffle on so it doesn't interfere with the pickup, but other than that it's a great investment imo. Never heard of anyone having such oil pressure problems that they need an accumulator on a N54, but it sounds like a cool engineering project.

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 735
  • Informative
Reactions: JohnDaviz

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Thought it would be useful to post this pic of my oil pan w/ the VAC baffle after I replaced the gasket over the weekend. Never had any major issue with oil pressure dropping under high G's/on track with this baffle, but to each their own. You have to install the pan at a very specific angle with the baffle on so it doesn't interfere with the pickup, but other than that it's a great investment imo. Never heard of anyone having such oil pressure problems that they need an accumulator on a N54, but it sounds like a cool engineering project.

Not much of an engineering project. It's 1 AN fitting and maybe a some 12v wiring lol

You dont hear about oiling issues because no one has oil pressure sensors to monitor on an n54. You just see blown up engines. Plenty of information here and elsewhere that has covered the "why" aspect if you want to read up.

I feel like Turner has a better oil pan solution on many other bmw engines. Too bad they havnt released anything for the n5x...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200114-131343_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200114-131343_Chrome.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited: