Calling all spec clutches

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
So to all you fellas that run a spec clutch, what throw out bearing did you use?
I have seen mixed reviews on the aluminum adjustable height bearing that spec supplies. I hear it's noisy as all hell and fails prematurely quite often. I have seen many with very deep scoring and gouging in the aluminum.

Have read lots of people ditch it and use an OE bearing instead.

What spec clutch do you? What beating did you use? And how do you feel about it later down the road?

I have a spec 3+ that's gotta go in so I can get closer to getting this gal tuned :)

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
Which FW are you using? My spec 3+ came w/ an OE TOB, but I think that was because it's for an Mfactory FW.

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
Do you guys use the low or high position for the TOB? There are two orientations. I am about to install the spec3+/SMFW and i'm not sure which position to have the stock TOB in.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Do you guys use the low or high position for the TOB? There are two orientations. I am about to install the spec3+/SMFW and i'm not sure which position to have the stock TOB in.
I think it's a matter of preference and most prefer the lower setting. Don't hold me to that and hopefully other can chime in as well.. maybe contact spec and see if they can give you a better experienced answer :)

• Agree
Reactions: 335i_lou

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
Yeah i just heard a few cases where the clutch either wouldn't engage or wouldn't disengage regardless of pedal position due to the TOB orientation.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
Yeah i just heard a few cases where the clutch either wouldn't engage or wouldn't disengage regardless of pedal position due to the TOB orientation.

Take note to how the old one was oriented & match it would be my recommendation (worked for me).

once-ler

Lurker
Sep 18, 2017
Ride
'08 E90 335XI
I'm about to have a Spec Stage 3+ clutch installed (SB533F-2) with a spec steel SMFW (SB53S-2). I'm concerned about reports of the Spec Throw out bearing being prone to failure.

1) For those people who believe the Spec TOB is junk, have any of you had personal experience with it failing? If yes, after how long did it fail?

2) The clutch + flywheel combo I purchased uses a non-standard pressure plate. The clutch compatible with the stock/mfactory/335ix clutches is (SB533F). Would this clutch be compatible with the OEM TOB + fork?

3) I've been unable to find a bmw TOB for sale without it being bundled with the clutch fork lever (Part # 21517564027).

a) Does anyone know the part number for the TOB without the fork lever?
b) In the event that one has to buy both, would you recommend using the Spec or the BMW fork lever? (I have not made the purchase yet so I'm not sure if there is any physical differences).