Are all aftermarket stage2 fuel pumps comparable in quality? (e.g - fuel-It and Spool)

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
I need a bucketed pump for a 08' 535i. It appears Fuel it and Spool are the only vendors offering pumps that fit.

Would both be of the same quality/design provided they both use walboro 450 pumps?
My initial thought being it's nothing more than a BMW bucket they dremeled out to fit the 450.

Are all of the connectors, plastics, wiring etc the same for each, and it'd make more sense to pick whatever is cheaper?

Fuel-It: $480+$23 shipping = $503
(I think ill have to pay additional $330 for core and they refund though so thats more shipping for me to send back)

Spool: $450+$21 shipping = $471
No core charge

Is there any reason not to go with the Spool version if it's less money and no core return?

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I'll give a shout out to Chris @ PFS who I think you should consider. I've run a few different Stage 2 and 3 pumps over the years since I've had 3 335s now and while I didn't have an issue with any of them, I think Chris has the best price and communication combo

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
I'll give a shout out to Chris @ PFS who I think you should consider. I've run a few different Stage 2 and 3 pumps over the years since I've had 3 335s now and while I didn't have an issue with any of them, I think Chris has the best price and communication combo

I checked their site and they dont (officially) offer anything for an E60. On your advice I sent them an email to check.

The price of their 1/3 series pump seems inline with fuel-it and spool

Reactions: PFS

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
We always point our customers to Fuel-IT and rarely have any disappointed. FI has been doing this the longest and has picked up a lot of tricks and tweaks over the years that makes their products a notch above IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
One walbro 450 is as good as another. The big difference will be bucketed versus bucketless. Mostly just vendor preference and if you want to deal with core returns.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
A genuine Walbro is a genuine Walbro. There are flow differences due to different fittings/connections that can add up when you're pushing limits, but this is mostly noise; they flow more alike than not.

Where you'll see vendor differences is, as noted above, bucket vs. bucketless. Bucketless is easy, so there are a slew of people offering their version of bucketless; those *should* all be about the same. We'll be shaking up the pricepoint pretty hard come BF.

The bucketed versions are where things start to get different. How much is bled off for the venturi, is that adjustable for different purposes, etc.

Where we really differentiate ourselves from the other guys is when it comes to DIY and custom work. We don't care if you run PI from a different vendor, we'll work with you. Have someone else's LPFP you're unhappy with and want to use your old Walbro, and DIY yourself a double pump? We will help you do that. Want to run external lines and flow a ton of fuel? No problem, we'll help you do that and not break the bank. We'll sell you all the parts you need to DIY things yourself -in fact, I'm working on DIY kits and conversion kits -bucketless to bucketed, single pump to dual pump, if it's fueling related we can do it with simple, pragmatic engineering choices that aren't going to kill your wallet. Want to run a hobbs switch to activate your pump? The EOS controller? One of the new EOS billet top hats? The new BMS controller? No problem, and we can mix and match things as required to suit what you need. No cores. No problems.

When you compare prices, make sure you consider a PFS pump includes all NEW hardware/bucket/tophat (if selected); no core or used pump parts here. You'll find we're much less expensive.

All the above said, I do not currently have a E6X offering. It's next up on my list. Tentative timeline is start of 2020, but I'll try to beat that.

Best,
Chris

P.S. Thanks for the shoutout guys!

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
I can only comment on my experience with Fuel-it products. I have run the Fuel-it stage 2 and stage 3 LPFP's, throttle body injection and port injection with no issues with any of them. Also, I found the videos and PPT presentations very helpful.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
I regret buying the Fuel-It version.

In stock form the 450 is a barb fitting. Fuel-It cuts that fitting down and threads it for their fitting.
I upgraded to dual 450's and the fittings on Dave's pump didn't work with the other parts I'd bought. So I had to buy another 450.

And my advice is to buy more pump that you'll need. Grow into it. It's such a PITA working in the tank that you'll hate yourself if you have to do it more than once.

I can't get on right now but,
The fittings that bm-parts.com sells fit perfect, plug into stock lines.I'd say just cut your stock bucket apart and make a mount for the pump, zipties work.
If you happen to break something, a pump from a salvage yard is like $50.

59457976_576663439494922_5810173986423701504_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Torgus

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Whatever you do, make sure the seller is an authorized Walbro dealer and not some amazon or ebay no name. You will get jacked because this brand is like Gucci fakes on steroids in the car world.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Also guys if you need something like a new bucket, tophat, etc, we have all of that. You don't *need* to go to a junkyard.

Chris

Reactions: Torgus

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
Whatever you do, make sure the seller is an authorized Walbro dealer and not some amazon or ebay no name. You will get jacked because this brand is like Gucci fakes on steroids in the car world.

I see that walbro specifically calls forgeries out on their site. Im uncertain how to tell if a vendor is authorized though?

e.g - Theres nothing indicated that, say, Spool is allowed to sell the brand in their pumps

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I see that walbro specifically calls forgeries out on their site. Im uncertain how to tell if a vendor is authorized though?

e.g - Theres nothing indicated that, say, Spool is allowed to sell the brand in their pumps

I assume you can trust someone like summit? $99 bucks. I just installed this exact 450 in my buddies bucket last weekend. Looked just like my 450 but I assume fakes are hard to tell:

Fix link to 274: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...xj94h7xjtN41IL-Srf-fUwnANx6QCVKUaAj5jEALw_wcB

But You can always ask Walbro directly who their officials dealers/distributors are.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I would do due diligence and contact the seller and ask first, then contact Walbro to confirm. If you don't, you risk buying copies. I played it safe and ordered direct from Walbro. Same price as everywhere else and no taxes for Texas unlike amazon.

Reactions: BigTony517

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
I assume you can trust someone like summit? $99 bucks. I just installed this exact 450 in my buddies bucket last weekend. Looked just like my 450 but I assume fakes are hard to tell:

But You can always ask Walbro directly who their officials dealers/distributors are.

Does it matter which version is used? Your link shows F90000267 which PFS calls out as being a lower pressure variant indicating that F9000274 is the best choice. 87PSI vs 112PSI

e.g - "All PFS parts are 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and anodized for a tough durable finish, compatible with all fuel types. We ONLY sell the Walbro F9000274, NOT the lower pressure relief F9000267 pumps. Every PFS fuel pump upgrade includes the 274! "

I def see what you mean about DIYing being the best approach. Availability and cost are def better with a DIY kit. I cant find a guide for E60 pumps (they look quite different) but it may be worth a shot.
Still, if I can get a good price, it's prob worth saving a few hours on the weekend by having a simple drop in solution with all new parts

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
Damn it - looks like Fuel-It is out. They dont have a trade in option to swap my pump like they do with the E9X. Their site indicates a rebuild after I send mine in or or new build for $330. Ill ping them to confirm - theres no way I want to wait around with a dead car.

Seems like Spool is literally the only vendor with E6X product. Their site doesnt even list if it's a walbro 450 and/or which variant of it. I pinged yesterday and havent had a reply yet. Yeesh maybe I have to DIY it

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Does it matter which version is used? Your link shows F90000267 which PFS calls out as being a lower pressure variant indicating that F9000274 is the best choice. 87PSI vs 112PSI

e.g - "All PFS parts are 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and anodized for a tough durable finish, compatible with all fuel types. We ONLY sell the Walbro F9000274, NOT the lower pressure relief F9000267 pumps. Every PFS fuel pump upgrade includes the 274! "

I def see what you mean about DIYing being the best approach. Availability and cost are def better with a DIY kit. I cant find a guide for E60 pumps (they look quite different) but it may be worth a shot.
Still, if I can get a good price, it's prob worth saving a few hours on the weekend by having a simple drop in solution with all new parts

Get the 274 for longer life due to less stress on the unit. the 67 poofs out after 87psi...while the 274 keeps up to 110psi or so. That head room will mean that the pump works less hard and lasts longer. Both pumps are same rate but one has more head room. Just as you buy bigger turbo than you actually need and tune for your goals. You would not buy a max 600hp turbo if you want 600hp for normal use. Because that turbo would die sooner than a 700hp used at 600hp.

I replaced my Precision Raceworks units with double 074 units when one of my pumps went out. I have two pumps stage 3 rig from PR. controlled by BPM4 controller.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Get the 274 for longer life due to less stress on the unit. the 67 poofs out after 87psi...while the 274 keeps up to 110psi or so. That head room will mean that the pump works less hard and lasts longer. Both pumps are same rate but one has more head room. Just as you buy bigger turbo than you actually need and tune for your goals. You would not buy a max 600hp turbo if you want 600hp for normal use. Because that turbo would die sooner than a 700hp used at 600hp.

I replaced my Precision Raceworks units with double 074 units when one of my pumps went out. I have two pumps stage 3 rig from PR. controlled by BPM4 controller.

You are 100% correct and that is exactly why, the pump with more headroom is the way to go.

You can get by with the 267 but you should run the F9000274. My bad, I copied the wrong link. I fixed it above. Same price. Get the 274!