Actual shock symptoms...

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This happened pretty quickly. I started to notice more NVH and it became a bag of rocks in the back seat area....car drove like a bouncy ball over small bumps too. Visual inspection showed all foam absorbers rotted away...koni yellows 4 yrs ago with 60k miles. Driven on rough
roads daily the last 2 yrs.

So this is an example of how long koni yellows may last under same conditions as mine. Cost to replace including refresh of mounts and stops and tools...1100 in parts. All oe Bmw seals, mounts, et...front and rears.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
This happened pretty quickly. I syarted to notice more NVH and it became a bag of rocks in the back seat area....car drove like a bouny ball over small bumps too. Visual inspection shiwed all foam absorbers rotted away...koni yellows 4 yrs ago with 60k miles. Driven on rough
roads daily the last 2 yrs.

So this is an example pf how long koni yellows may last inder same conditions as mine. Cost to replace including refresh of mounts and stops and tools...1100 in parts. All oe Bmw seals, mounts, et...front and rears.
Do the monroe mounts they are as good as Dinan and 10 bucks

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Konis are 50k parts tops in my experience. Had a set go in ~25. Bad roads are obviously hard on suspension.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Konis are 50k parts tops in my experience. Had a set go in ~25. Bad roads are obviously hard on suspension.

I see that now. I got another set for now. Next round I will do Ohlin coil overs or something. When the yellows work...they work great.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
I ordered the monoball turner top mounts to match the bottom ones. No more messing around.

I just saw they came out with these. Looks like a nice piece. I just wish they didn't charge such a premium for their products. Nice to see Turner churning out N5x parts lately.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Any downsides besides price to these ?
Also I have about 10k on my ground control setup which I believe are custom valves koni yellows .

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Any downsides besides price to these ?
Also I have about 10k on my ground control setup which I believe are custom valves koni yellows .

Well, lets see, I installed the Turner lower shock mounts a few weeks ago - the $250 monoballs...and the only thing I can say is that the car felt more 'quiet' as in the usual rumbles of normal driving on road imperfections were noticeably reduced and turning, acceleration was even more stable (VERY minutely noticeable because I also have the Dinan rear toe links which greatly reduced acceleration instability as well as turning instability). Is it worth the $250 for the lower monoball shock mounts? Not really... ONLY if you literally have money to spend freely and nothing else is needed.

So we now come to this juncture...my Koni shocks at 60K are kaputt and the foam absorbers are destroyed on all four shocks and the rear mount is probably almost totally gone...thus the shock upper pole is vibrating against the mount walls causing the sound of a bag of bolts rattling - on normal roads driving at slow to medium city speeds.

And in order to eliminate the need to replace the top shock mounts repeatedly, I am going to upgrade to the Turner Monoball Top Shock mount... it will increase NVH a little according to them, but they also said that about the bottom mounts and the increase was negligible. At this point anything will sound quieter than what is going on now.

I will be curious to see if I notice any performance benefits from using both top and bottom shock mounts. I will update and do a review on both soon.

The final step would be to replace the front fork with Dinan Monoball bearings... a step that seems a bit stupid for the $500 price tag. But alas...I am quite a stupid person when it comes to financial sensibilities and modding my car.

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I am quite a stupid person when it comes to financial sensibilities and modding my car.

Arn't we all. 60k of aftermarket struts on lowering springs seems pretty fair to me. Good amount of life out of them.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I don't really see how the dinan RSM would have worn out and most of the benefit in damper speed is from the lower mount which you've already addressed.

I went with 1M/M3 rear camber arm and damper bodies rather than a monoball lower mount as it helps the geometry a bit, but literally, whatever works.

I'd just get new dampers and use shorter bump stops if lowered next time unless you want to go with coilovers, in which case I'd go for YCW ($1.5k), Ohlins ($2.5k) or go nuts with something else ($4k+++).

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I saw that Koni Yellows come with a lifetime warranty... too bad I don't have the invoice for the last time I bought them. Oh well, this time it will be kept so I can get new ones when these go south again. Got the new ones at ECS Tuning.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I saw that Koni Yellows come with a lifetime warranty... too bad I don't have the invoice for the last time I bought them. Oh well, this time it will be kept so I can get new ones when these go south again. Got the new ones at ECS Tuning.

Yeah. I acted irrationally when one front and one rear in my last set blew at around 25k and took them all off and binned the lot. Had the receipt too. Kicked myself the next day when the bin was collected.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I have the m3 rear camber links and style shocks as well so that should be equal to the the monoball mount as far as nvh I would think so I am curious how the upper monoball feels as I might do that I just dont know if having two direct connections could be bad

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I have the m3 rear camber links and style shocks as well so that should be equal to the the monoball mount as far as nvh I would think so I am curious how the upper monoball feels as I might do that I just dont know if having two direct connections could be bad

We shall see. Turner of course recommends replacing both top and bottom at the same time for max benefits.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Make sure this fits your dampers sleeve diameter or w/e that's called.

Interesting to be able to adjust the bump/droop travel. I might look into this.

I figure the koni stalks are same as stock damper stalks so shouldn't be a problem. Will use the extra travel setup without the metal stock metal cap. For more comfort.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Turner's kit enables you to either raise your shock position by 7.5mm or lower it by 4.5mm. 7.5mm is like 1/3 of an inch so it is actually decent. $90 per side.