3D printed tools

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I do some 3d printing for fun. I have 3 printers right now, one Ender 3 which is not working due to me over modifying it. A Zortax M200 which my work owns but they do not use it so I brought it home, and a Tevo Tornado which is really nice. In fact I just printed a full size Daft Punk helmet in a single print with it.

I have printed a jack stand pad for BMW and a fuel injector puller which I can't find the .stl file for now.

Anyway, I am always looking for stuff to print and nothing better to print then tools or parts for your BMW. I thought this could be a good place to post useful tools or parts you have printed or need printed.

I need to Walnut my valves soon and cannot locate the .STL for the vacuum attachment. So if anyone has that, can you link?
Lin k any files you find useful and this can become a small database.

I'll attach a quick pic of the Helmet just because I think it's awesome.

Jack pad https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2922332

Walnut blaster tool https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3122147

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
How strong is the jack pad and are you referring to the piece that goes on the jack or the piece on the car? I'd like to print the plastic piece that goes on the car if possible. Did you use abs or pla?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
How strong is the jack pad and are you referring to the piece that goes on the jack or the piece on the car? I'd like to print the plastic piece that goes on the car if possible. Did you use abs or pla?
Its the part the goes on the jack. But I have printed the part that goes on the car as well, too bad it was for an E46.
It's very strong, I have used it many times and it does dent if the parts don't line up but it won't shatter.

I usually print in PLA but I can print in any material on my Ender 3.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

If you print with 100% infill, its basically a hunk of plastic and is quite strong. This takes much longer due to the amount of material and can be harder to print due to warming warping unless you have a heated bed with proper cooling and speed settings. Normal prints can take several hours and that involves a honey comb type of structure so a lot of parts you see are largely air.

Reactions: NoGuru

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
That helps with delamination but honestly if you use a temp tower and get it dialed in good the epoxy isn't needed it just is nice to get rid of lines on lower res prints like if painting or making decorative stuff. My wife uses the epoxy on stuff and you can use a cup Turner and halogen light to cure fast and even.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Cura has some cool infill options that are dynamic based on that layer and can be very strong. S3d does to but it's expensive and the free slicers are really good now.
I want get a Prussia cause they have a really elegant 4 filament setup so can use soluble supports and do CF for perimeter and then some cheap pla for solid infill that would be very strong

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Cura has some cool infill options that are dynamic based on that layer and can be very strong. S3d does to but it's expensive and the free slicers are really good now.
I want get a Prussia cause they have a really elegant 4 filament setup so can use soluble supports and do CF for perimeter and then some cheap pla for solid infill that would be very strong
Yeah, I have been messing with the Cura layer options and they work really well.
I have S3D as well but since Cura 4 and up, it's so good I use it most of the time now.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I liked Simplify 3d the best, seemed like it's patterns were less jarring on the print head. I haven't printed anything in over a year however so I'm sure lots of things have changed. I want to print a coil cover. I just don't have any 3d modeling skills to speak of and I'm curious how much heat is generated in that area.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I liked Simplify 3d the best, seemed like it's patterns were less jarring on the print head. I haven't printed anything in over a year however so I'm sure lots of things have changed. I want to print a coil cover. I just don't have any 3d modeling skills to speak of and I'm curious how much heat is generated in that area.
I'm not sure what material would hold up to Engine bay temps. Maybe Polyurethane but it is a little difficult to print.

Here is the Jack pad. I will add it to the first post. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2922332

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I haven't printed it yet but here is what looks like a perfect replica of the BMW Walnut blasting tool.

Attachments

• n54-335i-535i-135i-walnut-blast-vacuum-tool-1.snapshot.3.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 48

Dream_Racer

Sep 22, 2019
Ride
07 335i
This may be a bit easier to print, not as tall and has less of a curve. I modeled it quickly a couple years ago to accept a normal shop-vac hose and a piece of tube off the blaster. Prints easily and works well. I printed in abs and in cf pla. Both work well and hold up fine.

Attachments

• n54_Port_Vac.zip
    535.1 KB · Views: 25